Yet another basic question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One thing that would certainly help newbies is to explain where they're coming from (as best they can), and one thing that would help the experienced folk is to not give quick answers that make sense to people much further along in their understanding.

Jargon is dangerous, and I like to put a link or two to datasheets/app notes that are applicable to what I try to say. Takes seconds longer than telling someone to simply Google something and gives said person a lot more useful words to Google on their own time.

And for the love of (insert deity here), it makes every possible discussion/guidance 4x harder when someone has their utterly wrong but tantalizingly attractive (unless you know better) "solution".

Reminds me of my old advisor who said that every journal paper's introduction should have enough material and references to the "good stuff" of your field so that a lay person, with enough time, could launch themselves into the paper's topic based on what you give them.

Mooly, I followed your instructions to the letter, I stopped looking if DIY audio didn't come up after 20th

1/ What size smoothing capacitor to use - No result
2/ How to adjust bias - 3rd
3/ How to set up laser power - No result
4/ How to lower amplifier hiss - 6th
5/ Test an output transistor - 13th
6/ How long do capacitors last - 17th
7/ How thick should speaker wire be - No result
8/ Testing opamps - 7th
9/ How to stop amplifier humming - No result
10/ How to wire a volume control - Ditto

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
On another electronics forum, some newbie asked what "NFB" was. He was told to Google. Curious, I found that none of the first-page links came anywhere near how we used it. Another dude suggested "Acronym NFB", which is some better, but would never occur to me.

So I will begin designing National Film Board or National Federation of the Blind into all my amplifiers.

Wikipedia does have "our meaning" as one of 9 choices.

That reminds me of someone on a 2yr full time course I was on. Someone asked in an exam what LCR meant and then said they must have been absent 'the day we covered that' :D

Mooly, I followed your instructions to the letter, I stopped looking if DIY audio didn't come up after 20th

2/ How to adjust bias - 3rd
8/ Testing opamps - 7th

I'm not sure what the moral of that one is... do your own research I guess and learn by experimenting.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Maybe try dogpile Dogpile Web Search or it's parent company Metacrawler Search Home

I just did a search for LM3886 p2p on google and on dogpile. When I search on google, my blog entry here on diyaudio comes up as the 2nd hit (I suspect that if other people search it won't).

It doesn't even come up on the first page on dogpile.

edit: I used to use metacrawler exclusively back in the days before google (and even for a while when google was first getting started). Back then the main search engines I knew of were hotbot, yahoo and altavista.

Tony.

Last edited:
PRR said:
On another electronics forum, some newbie asked what "NFB" was. He was told to Google. Curious, I found that none of the first-page links came anywhere near how we used it. Another dude suggested "Acronym NFB", which is some better, but would never occur to me.
Try googling 'LaTeX', when investigating document preparation systems. Most links are not even about the source material for rubber, but curious garments and their uses.

Mooly said:
1/ What size smoothing capacitor to use
That is one which can get me going, as it is a classic 'what is the right answer' question combined with a 'what is the current fashion' question. My answer is sometimes along the lines of 'what capacitor value have you calculated, taking into account the speaker impedance, amplifier PSRR and speaker/listener sensitivity'.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That is one which can get me going, as it is a classic 'what is the right answer' question combined with a 'what is the current fashion' question. My answer is sometimes along the lines of 'what capacitor value have you calculated, taking into account the speaker impedance, amplifier PSRR and speaker/listener sensitivity'.

These type of questions will always keep coming. Yu have to be in the right frame of mind to answer them sometimes :)

Pasting 'LM3886 p2p' direct into Edge or Bing brings Tom Christians thread up as 2nd hit.

LM3886 PCB vs Point-to-Point (with data)

You are kidding, right?
First search page shower 20 (twenty) Technically correct answers, with tons more to follow.
Did any of them come from DIY Audio?
Not necessarily from there, but who cares?
Is this a DIYAudio popularity contest or a way to find answers to beginner´s doubts? :confused:
What size smoothing capacitor to use - Google Search
2/ How to adjust bias
Again 20 relevant answers ... including 2 from DIYAudio.
How to adjust bias - Google Search

won´t repeat the search on the other terms suggested because so far the trend is clear: those who Google their doubts, get answers, period.

8/ Testing opamps - 7th
REALLY? :rolleyes:

You are kidding, right?
First search page shower 20 (twenty) Technically correct answers, with tons more to follow.
Did any of them come from DIY Audio?
Not necessarily from there, but who cares?
Is this a DIYAudio popularity contest

I haven't 'Googled' any of them, I'll leave that to you. Copy and paste them and see what you get and how many return diyAudio as a result.
In a way, yes

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Mooly, I followed your instructions

Well, that's bad, and not what some of us see. See attached. Peeks on Bing and Yahoo very similar.

The first page is full of all on-topic results. I know that I would quibble with some of the answers found. Crutchfield's high placement means they fought and bought favor with Google (so your would "ask their consultant"). But it is on-topic.

If You Care --- Context!! What Search Engine?
Subcontext: browser, O/S, browser helpers (Wikibuy etc)
Did you use quotes? (usually not helpful except for literal quotes)
Browser language?
Have you filled-up your search history hunting those LaTeX Ladies?

Attachments

• WhatSizeSmoothingCap.gif
    WhatSizeSmoothingCap.gif
    29.6 KB · Views: 119
  • HowThickSpeaker.gif
    HowThickSpeaker.gif
    77.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Very wise, particularly for newbies ;) but who can they trust, and where do they go for relatively reliable info, this is sort of the point of this thread, it's interesting to me how people learn today, so different from how I grew up. It seems it's harder to weigh through all the dross everyday, or it could be that they are more savvy that me in that way.......I don't think so though

So I will begin designing National Film Board or National Federation of the Blind into all my amplifiers.

Wikipedia does have "our meaning" as one of 9 choices.

Yep! That's how I found this. A real treasure. Do french call negative feedback ONF?

Seriously now, I am not a member of any other forum of any kind. I subscribed here after having enough nonsense around the internet. Now, I rarely google my queries. That said, a google search about "AC polarity" reminded me the old bad days... No direction to diyaudio.com. So, keep your temper, it's coming...:)

Attachments

• n.PNG
    n.PNG
    675.6 KB · Views: 134
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It's interesting. diyaudio comes up very highly in my search results. Obviously google has tuned it's results for me.
it may have something to do with me having specifically targeted diyaudio in the past using the site: option, when the forum search wasn't giving me what I wanted.

I did a search on number 1 on Mooly's list and no diyAudio results.

Tony.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...some newbie asked what "NFB" was. He was told to Google. Curious, I found that....

Alistair Dabbs has some words on the subject.

"Surely the internet is big enough to contain all human intelligence. So why is it so difficult to find precisely the right thing when you need it?
"...could be because the internet is big enough to contain all human unintelligence. This fogs the search results...
"...search engines got a whole lot better. That's the official line. I happen to disagree. What got better was search engine optimisation. ....made it possible for only vaguely relevant content to appear to search engines as the exact thing you're looking for even though it isn't –"

Web searching died the day they invented SEO
The truth is out there but you'll never find it
By Alistair Dabbs

That's a very interesting article, and is pretty much how I feel about searching problems, it also seems it's unfixable particularly if it's motivated by the market. Some people have recommended to me using the dark or the Deep Web but I think although it's not controlled by the usual search engines you need to know the sites you are looking for in advance.

Also are we living in the new Dark Ages, and is it connected, that is, part of the same problem of reliance on inadequate technology?Tomorrow's history is being deleted - Telegraph

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.