• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Yaqin SD-CD2 tube buffer - upgrading stock tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just ordered a Yaqin tube buffer and I'm wondering which tubes to get to replace the stock ones. It seems like a lot of people like the sound of the Mullard EF95 tubes but those seem to be hard to find.

I contacted my local electronics store to see if they had the Mullard EF95 tubes and this was their response.

"EF95/6AK5/5654W
We have a 5654W National brand USA $ 9.30"

Are the 5654W tubes the same as the EF95? What other tubes can I get that would be an upgrade over the stock ones?

There are Yaqin CD2 buffer's still available for less than $100 because the newer model CD3 is out and sells for around $180 on ebay. I ordered a CD3 a few days ago and ordered a matched pair of Sylvania 6F8G/VT-99 black t-plates & socket adapters to replace the Chinese tubes. I plan to put it between my PlayStation3 and Sony solid state receiver--the PS3 acts as my media & CD player. It's currently connected with an optical cable and I'm going to leave that in place and also attach the PS3 with RCA cables with the CD3 buffer so I have the choice to go pure digital or run the buffer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.