• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Yamamoto a08s - bright ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am finding the yamamoto a08s rather bright/ringing when I play opera music where the soprano voices sometimes suddenly soars very high and loud. But when I turn down the volume, I find the orchestra portion not loud enough.

Need advice on whether I should try to mod it by replacing the capacitor or I'll be better off changing to something else like a 300B or 2A3 amp ?

Using Audio note AN-E SPE HE speaker.

Thanks

Honestly, what did you expect from a 2W / channel amplifier? Even with the efficiency of the AN-s. I am afraid the realistic weight and volume of a full orchestra won't be there whatever you do with it.

Instead of changing caps get something with a more decent power rating....

that Yamamoto is a gorgeous looking amp - the last thing I would consider doing would be to get rid of the amp for something else without first trying a few things. What could be tried ?

I agree with skyra though, there is a fundamental limitation on power output before clipping/distortion

how new is the speaker, has it been fully run-in for at least 200 hours ?

Been using the AN-E speaker for a long time so not an issue of running in.

My problem is more on how the high sopranos sound rather than how loud or realistic the orchestra sound.

Wanted to find out if others have similar experience with the yamamoto before deciding whether to change the amp or something else that is causing the issue

I am not familiar with that amp but is it possible that you have a stability issue?

There is no feedback, there is nothing that can introduce instability in this type of amp.

My problem is more on how the high sopranos

In comparison to what? Have you previously had a different amp in the same system which will not exhibit the soprano problem?

With those low powered SE amps this is a rather common situation.... They just have enough juice to reproduce the upper registers ("soprano") adequately and marvelously, but when it comes to larger orchestral passages -requiring real power- they run out of steam, leaving the lower registers lacking in body and drive, so the entire sonic balance tilting upwards. Again, with 2 Watts of full output power you cannot expect much more, even with 92 dB speakers....:(

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
The first i heard my present speakers ( Altec VOT ) was with a single ended triode 6B4 tube so probably less than 3 watts in a 50 or more square meters room. But the Altec is 104 db/1 watt/1 meter. 92 is way different than 104 db. I have heard some bicone that were close to 95 db with 2a3 and that was ok.
But i think you need more power or different speakers.
Greetings, Eduard

Ok. Was thinking there might be some transformer ringing.

It is interesting how difficult it often is to record and reproduce soprano vocals.

If you really want to to hear what your system is capable of, listen to track No. 6
(The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress) from Pat Metheny's marvelous album: Beyond the Missouri Sky.... Be careful with the volume... (I warned you... :worship:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.