Yamaha RX-V359 - Lacking bass. Looking for solutions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Yamaha AV Receiver Model RX-V359 which uses STK433-130N-E for L & R channels and STK-404-130Y for centre channel. Problem here is that I find that the bass is not really up to what I expected. The configuration I use is only 2.0. Two channels nothing more. Main use is music. Movies too but not interested in 5.1

From the overall understanding reading the user manual, the bass is supposed to be all redirected to 2 channels when you don't have an active sub-woofer installed on the system, or when you are down-mixing the input signal through automatic detection in the DSP module.

I have an old stereo which beats the crap out of my loudspeakers in terms of bass (to almost the point of blowing them) and find it really strange that Yamaha default's +10 Bass adjustment is so wimp.

To you experts, is there any possibility to wire something up or making a mod in this device so that I can get more bass? Thank you!

Follows with:

User manual
Service Manual

Please click on the green button to proceed download (My MediaFire account).

Last edited:
Yes, I did the reset. I also noticed that is has a neutral sound. Yes.
I may be right that the bass may be very exaggerated.
That is why I was considering this entirely up to the loudspeakers.
I have brazilian Hinor 4 ohms 60W RMS pair, with a XO at 1500Hz.
I was actually planning on getting a pair of Visaton W200SC 8 Ohms.
Should I stay in the loudspeaker camp before doing anything to this unit?

Optionally - get a small measurement mic. Maybe only a small boost is needed in your room.

I'm not familiar with this procedure. My room is about 4.5 x 4.5 meters or 20.2m².
I tried to adjust the room size "Small", "Medium", "Large" settings in this amp as far as room is concerned but I did not notice any changes for PCM (I noticed that some DSP effects only occur on DTS and Dolby Digital situations).

Well, I must confess that getting the crossover to cut at 1500Hz really had an impact on bass, because I got the medium "natural" sound to be cut. So, yes, it increased a bit. I fussed with every setting on this device and this is it. This is the max sound it can get, and the bass is okay, it is like folk said, it is not an exaggerated bass. It will also depend on the loudspeakers and mine deserve a change to decent speakers. Speakers are all set to LRG (large) and doens't have much effect, not any that I can say wow this is it.

With Sennheiser headphones it is brilliant. Everything is excellent. So that reinforces the fact that my loudspeakers need some love. I'm not using very much "quality" drivers.

But I will fix this temporarely by aggregating an active subwoofer. That is where I can remedy this for now, before I get my Visaton drivers.

The audio inputs I'm using are two optical and they sound identical when you switch from one to another.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.