Yamaha RX-A550 issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys and gals, I have a Yamaha RX-A550 that has been having issues with the front L+R channels, and I was hoping that I could get some input on the issues I'm having with it, for reference I only have front L+R and center speakers.
So a couple of weeks ago when i turned the amp on the L+R channels were dead, but the center worked, after having the amp on for 30 minutes to an hour the L+R channels suddenly started working, as days went by the problem became worse, but when I smacked the amp on the right side the speakers would pop in again and work fine for the rest of the evening. Now however no amount of bashing gets it going again.
All three channels show up on the display, when running the test tone in the amp only the center works.
I have tried hard resets, firmware updates etc, easy stuff but it's not working.
Any ideas ? Are there speaker relays in this thing that might fail ?
I was orginally planning to just take it to somebody who repairs amps but, well I'm totally up for saving some money. I'm handy with a soldering iron and DMM but have no experience with electrics like this, just car stuff.
Thanks for any help

First off ... stop hitting it, you'll only make the problem worse.

This sounds like a decoder chip problem. Often that are BGA (Ball Grid Array) chips that can only be worked on with specialized equipment. I would strongly suggest you take it to someone specialized in this kind of repair.

Probably either a bad protection relay or bad solder joint on the relay, the output terminals or in the driver circuit (maybe a hairline crack in the board if you're really unlucky). Nothing high-tech, probably more tedious than anything else.

Once you have identified the relay, see (listen) whether it even does anything, and proceed from there.

First off ... stop hitting it, you'll only make the problem worse.

This sounds like a decoder chip problem. Often that are BGA (Ball Grid Array) chips that can only be worked on with specialized equipment. I would strongly suggest you take it to someone specialized in this kind of repair.

Yeah, percussive maintenance probably isn't the way to go with this thing, I'll take to somebody next week

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.