YAMAHA A-760 / A-6 Amplifier

Hi everyone,

i really need some help. I recently was searching eBay for a vintage Yamaha Amplifier. I wanted the A-760 but searching eBay for North America around someone selling an A-6. Well I didn’t do my research and just thought I’d was the same as the A-760 just Yamaha having the same amp with just another model number not realizing it was a Japanese model for 100 volts not our 120 volts. So basically to cut to the chase what do I need to do to it to make it a 120 volt model?
New power supply and a couple other things?
Will parts off the A-960 work? I just want to know what’s different between the A-6 and the A-760. The guy I bout it from said it works fine which it does except if there is a spike in power I can see it blowing. 100 and 120 is a big difference.

Thanks everyone

anthony

It might not be a very satisfying work-around, but a low-effort remedy would use a 120VAC to 20VAC transformer to reduce the applied AC to 100VAC--- sort of an autotransformer. The 20V secondary must handle the amp's 100V input current. A pic being worth a thousand words:

Attachments

• tempImageZduVz4.gif
    tempImageZduVz4.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
Hi Anthony,

I would think that you could install a 120V supply if you can locate a suitable unit.

Chief attraction of my above suggestion is low risk, low effort, and packaging as an external adapter. Depending upon available volume, you might be able to add the transformer inside the Yamaha enclosure.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Steve