XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Hello everybody.

I'm brand new to this thread and just ordered a Wave I/O from Lucian (yesterday). I plan to use my Wave I/O as an outboard USB to SPDIF converter box. Does anybody have suggestions for a case or case materials? I currently have limited tools to work with and it would great if I can get something with pre-mounted holes that line up with Wave I/O PCB (Doubtful!)

Some general ideas so far...

Robot Check

Robot Check

Maybe somebody found something that's a near perfect fit???

Update: I managed to switch the DSD channels and build up a new pin mapping for the DSD test firmware on WaveIO. Link is here. Reading the infos posted by dwjames above, now I understand the mess behind DSD pin mapping and why I was very convinced that previously released .bin file was a correct one... despite the fact that some of you reported channel swapping. :confused:
If need it, I'll link both firmware versions so you can have all the DSD 'versions' covered.
Till then, please test this new fw and report for any playback / channel issues.
Ah, and leave LEDs aside! I'm not done with it yet!
Kind regards,
L

Forgot to say something about actual PCM / DSD pin mapping:
I2S_BCLK = DSD_CLK
I2S_LRCK = DSD_DAC0
I2S_DATA = DSD_DAC1

Last edited:
@Bonne - Please let us know what Dac you are using and what software. The channel mapping problem is directly related to what dac you are using where DSD and PCM pins are shared. ESS-9018, TI PCM1795 or AKM4399 are 3 dacs which share DSD and PCM pin mapping.

Also what software are you using as Foobar allows you to swap channels with software which can also mask or confuse the problem if you choose to use that feature.

Saying it works does not help very much.

thanks.
Dave

Test2 firmware works with ESS9018 pin mapping correctly

Update: I managed to switch the DSD channels and build up a new pin mapping for the DSD test firmware on WaveIO. Link is here. Reading the infos posted by dwjames above, now I understand the mess behind DSD pin mapping and why I was very convinced that previously released .bin file was a correct one... despite the fact that some of you reported channel swapping. :confused:
If need it, I'll link both firmware versions so you can have all the DSD 'versions' covered.
Till then, please test this new fw and report for any playback / channel issues.
Ah, and leave LEDs aside! I'm not done with it yet!
Kind regards,
L

Forgot to say something about actual PCM / DSD pin mapping:
I2S_BCLK = DSD_CLK
I2S_LRCK = DSD_DAC0
I2S_DATA = DSD_DAC1

@Lucian,

Have tested new firmware "test2" and DSD channel mapping is correct for Buffalo type Dacs (ESS9018).

Works with native DSD in Foobar on Windows and also works with DOP using Audirvana on Mac.

Using 3.26 drivers.

Lucian thanks for getting the new firmware going to solve this problem.

This version is now consistent with XMOS DSD reference firmware.

Regards,
Dave

Thank you Dave! Now I have to fix the LED "problem" but I'll let you know when I have something to test (in case you're still wiling to help :eek:)
Other than that, v3.29 drivers are out from February 3rd so, I can say that WaveIO's drivers are consistent with latest Thesycon versions as well! :p
As for you Dave, I'll link yours in a private message, no need to ask for it!

Thank you guys for all your help,
Lucian

Thank you Dave! Now I have to fix the LED "problem" but I'll let you know when I have something to test (in case you're still wiling to help :eek:)
Other than that, v3.29 drivers are out from February 3rd so, I can say that WaveIO's drivers are consistent with latest Thesycon versions as well! :p
As for you Dave, I'll link yours in a private message, no need to ask for it!

Thank you guys for all your help,
Lucian

3.29 drivers installed and working with Foobar 1.3.9 with native DSD playback on Win7. Ensuring that 2 channel 32 bit playback configured for driver and standard streaming mode overall playback sound quality is very very good.

Regards,
Dave

Hello,

I would like to report a difference in the way the Firmewares (the default one (333 or 331) and the newer ones (the test or test2) version works at frequency or bit rate change.

My DAC is a Heed Dactylus using SPDIF. Before I use the waveio I had some clicks and pops noise (in speakers) at audio frequency change (from a regular 44.1khz to a 96khz file for example)

With the waveio I solved this issue because there was a kind of stop and restart done between two tracks with different frequencies or bit rates and my DAC connected with SPDIF reacted well to these steps. (with it's default firmware 333 I think or 331)

Now with the two latest firmwares I experience the strange pop in the speakers that I had before using the waveio. It looks like there is a more aggressive way of changing the frequencies or bit rates that don't let enough time for my DAC to change it's internal frequency.

PS : the drivers don't seem to impact on this issue. (2.26 - 3.26 or 3.29 shows identical behaviour)

PS2 : When I revert to the original firmware the noise is gone.

@ Dave: than you for your feedback!

@ Lobotom1: I also saw that strange behavior on my tests and I have plans to add a delay when XMOS will change sample rates. Anyway, the delay cannot be a bigger one otherwise strange things can happen: in my case there's usually a BSoD that hits my eyes!

Kind regards,
L

P.S. Already got 3.34 drivers and this weekend I'll release it...

Hi,

@ Lorien,
I see that you face the same delay noise issue, perhaps you can use the same delay as the one in the old firmwares ?

Do you think this could become a "parameter" to set to the firmware image before loading into the card ? (Maybe I can that way try something without consuming your time as there is no other reactions to this.)

PS : for future reference of the error code 52 when installing drivers as from release 3.26 on Windows 7. (Somebody had this issue earlier) No need to reainstall windows. The problem occurs to those who don't use windows update to often. The way to solve it easily is to download the correct update as mentioned here : Windows 7 Error Code 52 with Signed Driver - Silicon Labs Community, (worked for me) or let windows update refresh the system with latest drivers.

Sincerely Yours,

Lobo.

Hi,

I'm new here and received my WaveIO a week ago (thanks Lucian!) and got it working with my BIIISE using the non-isolated output (u.fl). Bit-rates up to 32/384khz are working fantastically. The sq is truly great!

Unfortunately I cannot get it to play DSD (dsf or dff, all dsd64) files using foobar 1.3.9 (with latest sacd_input and proxy_asio) and the test2.bin firmware. All I get is a digital noise or hiss sound. Playing with the DPLL on the BIII had no effect.

Has anyone experienced the same? any suggestions?

Regards,
Chris