X/Over Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Griff,

here the simulation with the Seas Tw, you see that the filter is very similar (the difference in the attenuation resistors is more conceptual than real)
Probably the differences in response and impedance of the 2 units have a compensation effect.
Well, you're lucky: you can switch the tw and pick the one you like most w/o changing the x-over!

Also I've added a variation of the x-over for the Audax, that moves the x-over point a bit higher, taking the tw in a 'safer' area.
If you don't listen at very high vol. you can probably stay with the 1st version.

Btw, I was not suggesting to change tw, if you like the way Audax sounds, go for it. It is surely not strange that Audax tweeters sounds well!
If you decide for the Seas, remember that is bigger, so change the box design accordingly. Sole recommendation is to keep the 2 units as close as possible.

Also, a good simulation just tells you that you're on the right track, refinements are always depending by your ear, and it is part of the fun (I've finished my new system in late December, and I'm already at version G of the x-over !)

Have fun and let us know how it sounds!
bye
sandro

Attachments

• griff_b.txt
    60.5 KB · Views: 68
thank you sandro and navin for your invaluable assistance, im hoping to have this project complete in a week from now. The boxes are on the way and it looks like i wll use the audax because i have almost completed the cabinets already. Is the different Ohm of the SEAS H624 and the Audax tweeter going to make any changes or problems? im still a little confused.

relax. plug everything in and see if it sounds nice to you. remember you make DIY speakers fo yourself. my friends think my speakers are laid back or missing highs until they compare them live music.

also with laid back speakers i find you can enjoy music for many hours without fatigue.

these components are very sensitive. i noticed a significant change when i replaced a 10 ohm resistor in parallel with my tweeter with a 15 ohm resistor.

also my wife noticed a significant change when i replaced a 4ohm resistor in my difraction control circuit with a 3.3ohm resistor. now i use 2.5 ohms and am exprimenting with 2 ohms.

so most software only gives approximation. rest must be done by ear. your ears!

Love
navin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.