Wx System Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ooo

That never occured to me: I could do push-pull woofers my bass modules, like the woofers in an M&K push-pull subwoofer. I had never even considered that wrinkle, and lowering distortion is nice.

I must say, I'm thankful for all your help in achieving the best design for my system

The original plan was for a stereo pair of bass modules with 4 5.25" woofers each and I could recess the baffle and alternate the woofers with the magnets facing in or out. I am very interested in being creative with my speaker designs. One thing that has always appealed to me was the challenge of the slim-tower speaker. Of course, you can't cheat by adding side-firing woofers. I was going for a completely slim deal that I could slide into a space in a living room or an office or something. I like the challenge of trying to coax out that performance from small woofers. When I learned that Tangband offered a 4" "mini subwoofer" that could go down to 60 Hz and had a nice excursion figure, I was all about that, but I couldn't find anywhere that carried that particular woofer. Also, another thing that has always appealed to me is a vertical array of smaller woofers instead of a big woofer.

However, I was not going to go as far as Bose and make 5's my primary subwoofer. I intend to add something like a Shiva or something for the real low bass.

To guarantee that I won't blow the woofers in the bass module, I could build in one of those thermal circuit breakers that Parts Express sells for speakers to cut off the power if it rises over 90 watts RMS. But I want to know: would I really hose myself up by using one of these?

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
"I could build in one of those thermal circuit breakers that Parts Express sells for speakers to cut off the power if it rises over 90 watts RMS. But I want to know: would I really hose myself up by using one of these?"

I have no experience with these devices. Subsequently, I have not performed any research in order to know of their effects. However, unless you contantly use speakers at very high levels that they will be distorting first anyways, you will not need this circuit. The main purpose for these is in PA use where drivers are pushed to the edge of their max. capabilites as a norm.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.