• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB Philips CDM- 4/11

Philips Mech

Hi Sachin,
if any of the parts in the picture can be of interest to you, I am willing to send them. You'll just need to cover the shipment costs.

Best Regards,
pilli

_

Attachments

• Philips.jpg
    Philips.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 410
Okay, the ones here will fit your unit if you need a spare for 'pilli's' - some variations use 2 springs on the top clamp (one each side).

Sometimes the slide needs lubrication and can cause the teeth to be stripped off the motor shaft. and sometimes the hard plastic disc under the ball in the cd retaining top bracket wears a depression in the middle that can cause mis-tracking but you can just turn it over for a fresh flat surface and some grease.

It looks like your player didn't use the bottom transport fasteners and the mech bounced out of it's spring supports and got broken during freight - a common problem, but extremely irritating. Be careful when inserting the ribbon strip on the new mech as the retaining clip has a release catch on it so don't force it.

Curiously, if I read the price of the one for sale on that Polish site it was 50zt - a very low price for these old gems

Thanks James, yes my transport is suspended by spring, so it bounced and broken in shipping. I glued the part and tried to play CDs but it doesn't read,but laser movements seem to be ok. O don't know what is the issue here, I have no experience with CD mechanisms.
They are available cheap in Europe but the shipping is more due to the size.

Regards
Sachin

Sometimes those ribbon connectors don't insert properly in their sockets - they do have a release clip on them and maybe this is the problem - it could also be that the rough treatment has damaged the mech in other ways too so I think your idea to just replace the whole mech is the simplest approach - I think there's just the screws on the bottom of the mounting bracket to pull out the whole transport and giving more room to line up the ribbons - it's been awhile since I've played with these but we did some really weird things to the long suffering units and they seemed to take it well - I preferred the Rotel or the Arcam versions - easier to modify.

Oh, I think we have a 'fly-in-the-ointment' - the mechs here are all CDM4/19, not the CDM/11 - I'll have a look out back to see if I kept any of the old Phillips or Marantz players that might have the '11' mech - did that one listed in Poland say it was an '11'?

I see that Darren Porter (UK) is advertising one of those for about 45 GBP on eBay - it might be simpler to just ask him about spare mech's. Or maybe step up into one if the 'better' versions like an 850 ...

You might have a look on the site if "Jays Audio" too - they might be able to supply a new/refurbished unit.

On the other hand, if you want to continue with the 1541A dac chip machines, perhaps look for units that have the CDM4/19 mechanism fitted - quite a few choices here as many manufacturers used these units and a lot still in operation

As mentioned, I've used a number of the Rotel models of that period with good results, and also the Arcams rather than the Marantz or Phillips ones.

Reactions: 1 user
It's philips CD472

Regards
Sachin
best pictures of all internal parts are here:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...it_-_laser_and_motor_-_Sharp_LT022MC-0119.jpg
differences from CDM-2 to CDM-4 you will find in detail here:
https://www.vintageshifi.com/repertoire-pdf/pdf/telecharge.php?pdf=Philips-CDM-2-Service-Manual.pdf
Maybe the broken CDM-4/11 desk can be replace by desk of the white CDM-2/10 desk as long the RAFOC unit and brushless motor parts identical from mechanical sizes.

Reactions: 1 user