• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB Firstwatt Clone F2 PCB boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
F2 BOM

Hi,

Since I coud not find one I have created a BOM for the F2 as per Peter Daniel's boards (amp+psu). Some items which are in the First Watt diagrams I have left in even if they are not on PD's boards - just in case.

I have 'checked' it - but can others please take a look and comment.

PETER - one of the things that has been commented on is how hot some of the resistors get - if you can recommend any better alternatives then that would be great.

Alan

Attachments

• f2-bom.pdf
    30.6 KB · Views: 159
Peter,

I have just been checking the BOM and I find that what I recommended for C4 on the amp board will not fit - in the schematic it is 15000uF 25v - the same as C3 & C6. However C4 on your board has a very small footprint.

So what values were you thinking of for C3,C4,C6.

Alan

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Originally C6 was not present, but was added to production units for slow turn on , no thump to drivers. So C4 and C6 are additive, use nice cap on C4 (I'll use a silimic II or Nichicon FG), biggest fit on C6.

If I had to, I could probably cough up both schematics.

I am more concerned with how small of a C3 output cap I can get away with.

For the C3, I believe it should be AC rated as signal is suppose to be AC.

From the spec, F2 max output voltage is +/- 9 volts so can I assume, only 25V and above rating can be used? Any formula ?

Hi Alan,

Shouldnt C1's quality count too since its the input cap?

PC Board & BOM Issues

Having successfully made my own PC board on a previous F2, I was hoping to make my life a little easier with one of Peter Daniel’s PC boards. Having been very happy with a number of his previous boards, I didn’t expect any problems; however, I am a little disappointed with this effort. Also, there are a number of problems with AlanElsdon’s BOM with regards to component sizing. I wouldn’t use that list without a careful evaluation.

I am not sure exactly what Peter Daniel had in mind when he sized C4; however, the spot isn’t needed if a Panasonic 33000 35V (Digikey P6924-ND) is used for C6 as it will replace the two parallel (C4 & C6)15,000uF capacitors in the schematic. It’s a shame that the C4 spot on the PC board wasn’t used for C5 as a large Black Gate 10uF would fit there nicely.

The form factor for C1, C2 & C5 on the PC board is very small. Max lead spacing for C1, C2 is 5mm and 10mm for C5. There isn’t room for any high quality polypropylene capacitors that a number of you may wish to use. None of the Wima’s listed in the BOM will even come close to fitting. For C1and C2 the Metallized Polyester Film Capacitor (Digikey 495-1121-ND) AlanElsdon lists comes close at 7.5mm; however the correct listing for a 1uF with a 5mm lead spacing is 495-1119-ND. It’s going to be a squeeze for C1, as the capacitor is 6mm wide rather than the 5mm allocated on the board, but should work.

For the 10uF C5, AlanElsdon’s listing (P5166-ND) must be a misprint as the catalog comes up with a 220uF 35V capacitor. I was able to get a compact Black Gate PK 10uF 50V to fit ($.95 each at Sonic Craft) on the board and also allow extra space for a 6mm wide C1.

Also don’t use AlanElsdon’s listing for P1 (Digikey 3362P-502LF-ND), this will not fit easily on the PC board. Digikey 3296W-502LF-ND, is a better fit.

I designed my previous board to use the larger form factor RN60s rather than the small RN55s required for this board. While the RN55s do allow a more compact board, unlike the RN60s these are magnetic. For those of you that would rather use a non-magnetic part the PRPs ($.22 each a Sonic Craft) fit well.

Roy

What I had in mind was compatibility of this board with other F board designs (F4, F5) as well upcoming AJ-X; which means same mosfet spacing that sets board width. Most of the bypass caps are not recommended for best performance, that's why I didn't put much thought into getting extra room to accomodate them. C1 is not really needed, which makes more space for C5 and you can certainly fit any BG cap there.

C3 and C6 don't need to be larger than 10,000uF and if you really need to add bypass to C3, use a good one, like MIT RTX or teflon V-Cap and then it needs to be done off board anyway that's why C2 size is only "symbolical".

As to resistors, this is the same size as with my F3 boards, which is not the smallest size as used with F4 and F5 but intermediate. If you want to use big resistors install them vertically, and compact board layout will compensate for any additional lead length.

With little creativity, this board can be as good as any other form factor. When I get back home I wil present some practical examples.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.