Worth getting a USB DAC for laptop if I only listen to internet radio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I tried the Apple dongle.

I can't say that it sounds any cleaner, but it's a bit different, likely due to not having a roughly 5 dB dip between 6 and 8 kHz that my laptop output has (measured with OmniMic).

I thought I may have wired the XO's incorrectly, but the Soundsticks have the same dip.

I played the test sweep through my main system disc player and amp and the dip is gone.

Upon further listening I can say that either the jazz station is playing better-recorded material than normal, or the dongle did improve things - cleaner, clearer, more extended treble.

Take that with two grains of salt:

1) The aforementioned 6 - 8 kHz dip is fixed, so it might just be that

2) I'm old and use hearing aids, and can't hear above 11kHz.

If your using hearing aides you might like to consider an audio chain analysis. Assuming your audio quality is limited by the one link in the system with the lowest quality its worth bypassing your hearing aides.

One way to do this is with headphones. Bluetooth headphones are wireless and with a good codec can be very good. By running Foobar with WASAPI to the headphones you can stream higher def internet radio through a 32 band equaliser with discrete left/right correction. Ive helped an aged relative set this up and he could enjoy music again.The step up in sound quality can be significant.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.