Worst audio threat of all times ... (WOATOAT)

Totally agree with threadstarter.
Remember way back, helping out one of my friends with a weekend audio show, where he represented AVM, Octave & Piega speakers.
He had heard some original CD´s of Peter Gabriel at my home, and was really into them. So much, that he had bought the same and
brought them to the show. It almost made people leave. The sound was awful. He was surpised, that was sounded sooooo good in
my living room sounded so awful at the show.
That was, when we discovered, that all his newly bought P.G. CD´s had "digitally remastered" written on them. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I had the chance to hear some of The Weeknd in vinyl and it actually sounds better than the digital, simply because of the mastering.
I think a lot of people don't realize that the phonograph format simply cannot take excessive clipping and higher average amplitudes in order to make the tracks sound louder--the needle jumps out of the groove.

One of the checks used in mastering phonograph record masters is to play them on a turntable to make sure the needle tracks all the way through. If not, another--less aggressive--iteration of the mastering is required.

Chris

I don't understand why recordings are still produced with massive compression...
Just look at all the earbud users walking around...that's the lion's share of the "why", I believe.

Record company A&E executives use a "one size fits all" mentality when it comes to their products--which is extremely unfortunate. Hi-fi quality immediately gets dispatched without a second thought.

It's so pervasive that even those mastering people working on hi-fi releases apparently do not presently have a "hi-fi switch" in their skill set--something that they've built over the past 30 years or so--and are even afraid to make their music tracks "that quiet".

...The problem is that few dare to make a quiet-sounding recording.

"Many mastering engineers perpetuate the loudness wars," explains producer Tony Visconti, who has worked with artists including Paul McCartney, David Bowie and Morrissey. "One once turned to me after I made a request for more dynamics and said, 'I have a reputation to uphold, I can't make it that quiet.'

Really, I was just asking for the carefully mixed quiet intro to stay quiet until the rest of the band crashed in."...

A lot of reasons for the "why" in music production companies is about the perceived money to be made and organizational culture of the people involved--not the quality of the product.

Chris

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here is Iggy Pop & The Stooges, opening track on Skull Ring. Speaking of compression..

Skull Ring.jpg

Amplitude.jpg

Hugo

The Loudness War has of course been going strong since ~1991 (~32 years ago), when multiband compressor plugins hit the market, about 9 years after the introduction of the compact disk format.

About 10 years ago, I did some analysis of the DR Database data (linked above by Mr. Shurv) and found some interesting trends at that time: "Loudness War" and the Dynamic Range (DR) Database - some observations.

About 7 months later, there appeared a JAES article on the same subject.

I then started demastering my digital music tracks in January 2015 using the freeware tool Audacity to recover some of the apparently lost dynamic range and to reverse some of the mastering EQ applied to the tracks, and have been demastering tracks for ~8 years now (~25,000 music tracks thus far). I believe the skill developed in demastering tracks is now something that all hi-fi audio enthusiasts should learn and keep in their ready skill set. It's quite handy.

Chris
I’ve done this on several songs that were unlistenable. I didn’t know it was so pervasive! I agree with the assessment of The Who and Jean Luc Ponty. Cosmic Messenger is a religious experience when re-equalized.

The tutorials are missing, do you have links to these documents?

I think a lot of people don't realize that the phonograph format simply cannot take excessive clipping and higher average amplitudes in order to make the tracks sound louder--the needle jumps out of the groove.

One of the checks used in mastering phonograph record masters is to play them on a turntable to make sure the needle tracks all the way through. If not, another--less aggressive--iteration of the mastering is required.

Chris
I’m aware there is a frequency dependant maximum amplitude that consumer styli can track. Dynamic mastering is beneficial to reduce the average amplitude and stylus velocity.

There is software available which runs several parameter checks prior to cutting, allowing the cutter to observe stylus velocity in the tracks, specify minimum groove wall thickness (spacing of lathe cutting) and groove lift (high-amplitude stereo pan at low frequencies can momentarily cause the groove to disappear). It reduces the number of trial cuts that have to be made.

With that in mind, I still think it’s absurd that masters of digital music are abused to the point that they sound worse.

Reactions: 2 users
Ironically audio cassettes did not suffer the indignities of over compression and are generally preferable to me to their CD counterparts.
Are you sure?

1691598243265.png

These are more like phonograph DR ratings. Not good...but perhaps not quite as bad as digital discs and downloads.

The tutorials are missing, do you have links to these documents?
They're not missing--you simply have to log in to the forum to get them there.

Both the size and file extension limitations set in this forum are fairly difficult to work around.

I can post them to my personal Google Drive and let you access them there. If you PM a usable email address to me, I can access you to the PDFs and a few example FLACs.

Chris

I'll try to post them here. Note that these files are ~6 years old (i.e., I'd been working on my music tracks for about 2 years when they were created), so "temper your expectations"...

The first part is attached (answering the interrogatives "what" and "why"):

Chris

Attachments

• Demastering Part 1 (What and Why).pdf
    890 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: 1 user
Some parting words on the above subject:

1) The tutorials are just meant to get someone going using Audacity and are not meant to be an in-depth (book-type) tutorial on the subject.

2) in general, take the advice of a smooth and straight "plot Spectrum" view with a grain of salt, since many instrumentations (piano, voice and piano, orchestra, opera, etc.) are not straight lines. You'll figure it out by EQing and listening to the result.

3) If you want more explanations, or you disagree with the 6-year-old PDF documents, note that I, too, now disagree with some of the things said.

4) Feel free to ask questions.

Chris

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Audacity takes VST plugins, among others. I use a variety of these from time to time, but I find just the basics that come with the app and its extensions (e.g., clip fix, brickwall limiter, notch filter, and one very simple freeware plugin called Transient Monster) pretty much suffice for most of my CD demastering efforts. My objective is to get the best bang-for-time spent. I no longer do much with upward expanders, but I do have a couple of alternatives that are freeware (Voxengo being one). I use the DR Database to help me look for older CDs having higher crest factor ratings, and these CDs are usually the cheapest ones available on Discogs and Amazon Marketplace used. A little EQ to remove their pre-1991 mastering EQ to make them sound louder (i.e., attenuated bass) is all that is needed to produce greatly improved tracks of older recordings--pre-1991, etc.

foobar2000 also takes VST plugins that run in real time with the player--like Transient Monster, etc. I have used those when listening to music tracks that I don't intend to keep and that are difficult to listen to due to excessive compression used during their mastering.

Chris

The Loudness War? Don't get me started on the Loudness War. You know the world has taken a wrong turn somewhere when an "HD" 24/96 release, which could have a ridiculously wide dynamic range of up to 144dB, is actually worse than vinyl. Despite advances in technology, the best sound quality is still old CDs. Of course you can't get old CDs of new music :(

It would be helpful if ReplayGain (or something like it) became ubiquitous. This would remove the incentive to over-compress music because it would still be played back at the same perceived volume.