World's largest offshore wind farm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I never even gave (or even give if I'm honest here) a second thought to what might have been the correct terminology :) as I thought it read clearly.

Me saying it uses 2.55kW which is what I think you are calling 'peak power' (or the power at a given instant in time) over a period of seven hours meant it has 'used' (or as I said has had an intake) of 18kW over that period. In other words the meter will have clocked up 18 units over that time period.

The manufacturer actually call the heaters an 18kWh or 24kWh depending on model. That to me is wrong as it implies a loading of 24kW per hour and I don't think that would match your definition of Power * Time as being kWh.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
How does one recycle a wind-turbine blade?

As an ex worker in the wind energy religion I can tell that the in total 45000 kg (3 blades of 63 to 75 meter) polyester/glassfiber are shipped to China after a way shorter service life than previously promised to be ... burnt.

There are so many imperfections and/or plain lies in this industry but their marketing is excellent so people really believe this is the solution. It is what it is, a very profitable industry.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The huge 3 bladed wind turbines might be the most efficient, but they are the wrong design as they are bird killers, have big energy transport losses to the user, create health damaging infra sound and don't last as long as they thought.
But things like this happen as we are living in so many lies; 'fossil fuel' is not fossil but a mineral oil and is regenerated by the earth. CO2 nonsense, global warming which changed into climate change as temps were dropping........ still waiting for the acid rain which would destroy cities 20 year ago....... the great barrier reef is fine and polar bears are plenty.
The biggest problem is that we keep on poisoning our habitats to safe the earth. The planet is fine!

Global temperatures have been dropping for about 35 million years - almost certainly linked to Antarctica’s movement southward and then icing over. And CO2 has also dropped, linked to increases in phyto-plankton which thrive in colder waters.

But, all of the life you see on Earth today - including humans - have evolved in this cooling environment and the associated food chains that support it. It does not take much to cause nature to react to try to reassert control, or for organisms to respond to changes in climate as shown by Lovelock’s Gaia theory. That’s why we see mass species die-off, strange weather patterns etc. Wildfires are a direct consequence of warmer weather and lower rainfall and that of course only makes it worse. If the earth warmed by 3 degrees, the consequences for humanity are severe, let alone the rest of life on the planet.

As to your comments about coal and oil being ‘regenerated’ by the earth, Google ‘closed carbon cycle’ or ‘carbon sink’ to see why ‘regenerating’ this stuff is a bad idea. Nature puts it there for a reason.

As an ex worker in the wind energy religion I can tell that the in total 45000 kg (3 blades of 63 to 75 meter) polyester/glassfiber are shipped to China after a way shorter service life than previously promised to be ... burnt.

There are so many imperfections and/or plain lies in this industry but their marketing is excellent so people really believe this is the solution. It is what it is, a very profitable industry.
That really is to bad; we could make 10 live aboard (sailing) catamarans to sail the world (or a 1000 dinghy's) out of that amount of material: 100k+ for the bare boat hulls. Or over a million € for 10.
Is a new set of blades about the same price and do you know how long do they last on average?

@Bonsai: have a look at the medieval warm period; 900-1300AD - was 2 degrees warmer then now. Did you watch George? (from the link) " The planet is fine, WE ARE f**ked (up)"
Humanity's spirit and minds are so far corrupted by money and al the nonsense we beLIEve. Have a look a the trivium; input, processing, output is how we see thinking in current times. But the processing part is what we don't get thought.
We are told our whole lives what to think instead of how to think. Get that this is no comedy but the real inconvenient truth: YouTube

Cal I'd typed in the response! Realised I'd missed an aspect, hacked in a '2a/3 edit that doesnt align with questions asked: apologies all.

To be clear, the impact on fauna question is long de-bunked for on-land wind turbines; and there are many formal studies made for offshore farms & required long ahead of acceptance for permits in the uk.

There is massive concern regarding the extremely large (mainly concrete) foundations required for on-land wind turbines. Many believe that the long term effect of water on such a large amount of concrete will get into the water table and will alter the Ph levels adequately to create problems with, for example, aquatic life, drinking water supplies, whisky distilling!:)mad:!). And what is the requirement regarding removal of these foundations as and when the farms/generators are decommissioned? Virtually none!

And of course here in Scotland the average tourist is NOT happy to find so much of Scotland now provides once scenic views now littered with wind farms.

Scotland has an excellent access to well served areas of coastline on which electricity generated at sea can be brought ashore and distributed. The extra cost can be easily reduced when monies paid to land owners of on-land wind farms by way of rent and 'downtime' is offset.

Regarding the impact on 'fauna' being debunked, it may well be no surprise that the studies which debunk are almost exclusively commissioned/carried out by parties with a conflict of interest, which is totally in line with the numerous published reports on the impact of Scottish salmon farming on coastal waters and wild-life within a large belt around the farms.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter how or where you get your energy from, there is a cost associated with it. Either immediate (as in burning coal) or later as in disposal. And the carbon footprint of building a turbine or a nuclear power station is another issue as well. Energy costs. Period.
Do you mean we've been fooled by the conspiracy of so called carbon neutral energy? :(

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes you can never get anything for free. But you can minimize cost and maximize return. That's what we are doing all the time in all aspects of life.
Same with energy. Not free, but it seems to me that there is a (slow) movement to lower damage to us and the environment and more return.

It's never black and white. You can get exited about all the birds that are killed by the windmills, but unless you also figure in the droves of people that die from the soot and toxic output of coal plants, you're doing politics instead of science.

Jan

As to your comments about coal and oil being ‘regenerated’ by the earth, Google ‘closed carbon cycle’ or ‘carbon sink’ to see why ‘regenerating’ this stuff is a bad idea. Nature puts it there for a reason.

Takes a while too.

Perhaps a bit OT, but now we've been having high tides flooding basements around our coast several times this year. Yesterday Måløy broke the record of 287cm above "sea-map-zero", beating the old all-time-high by 5cm. My hometown Ålesund had 297cm above 0, Trondheim is going to have a big one now soon with an expected record between 12-14:00 local time.

Vannstanden steg til ny rekord pa Maloy | kommunal-rapport.no
It's not news that we get high tides wreaking havoc, but it is news that it's happened several times in under a month.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.