World's Best Tweeters Face-off :: Subjective comparison

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Flatter response and lower distortion than your typical ribbon.

Mmm but within its limited usable range the Fountek has pretty low distortion. The RAAL isn't exactly a class leader in that regard either.

NeoCD2.0-HD.gif

NeoCD2

Raal 140-15 is my favorite tweeter overall thus far too.

Until about 2 years ago I was using them as replacements for the EMITs in my Infinity Renaissance 90's and they integrated perfectly with the EMIM's- although it took nearly a year of crossover tweaks to get it essentially perfect.

I also rebuilt and improved the crossovers throughout in the Ren's, which are a difficult 4 way array to optimize with the graphite cone and planar mid combo. (And don't mention those Watkin's woofers)

Although I use B&W 800 Diamonds these days in the main listening room, my aim is to build a second room for the Infinity's.

Some measurements of the Viawave RT850 ribbon found at the PE forum, measured by RomanB and/or MichaelZ I believe. They look very good if you cross at 3kHz or a little above that. I actually have a pair but haven't gotten around to use them seriously yet. :p

Horisontal 0-60:
attachment.php

Vertical 0-60:
attachment.php

Distortion at 2,83V (no scale but everything over 3k or so is <0,3%):
attachment.php

Thanks 5th. I was a bit put off by Johnny Boconnie's slam. I've met a lot of intensely egotistical people in the audiophile world. Also, transsexuals, transvestites, mormons, intense introverts, etc. It's a largely weird crowd. But I appreciate diversity, so...

Zaph also measured the Raal ribbon and found it to be the best, but the Fountek was 2nd best out of the maybe half dozen ribbons he chose to test. And the 2-4 inch driver evaluation thread test results appeared to show that the TG9 was actually a pretty good driver. So whatever.

A good friend of mine bought the Raal's, which I heard. One was defective and had to be sent back for repair. Sound wise I can't say it sounded any better than the Fountek to my ear, but different system, diffferent room, etc. I can't help but wonder if the huge price difference between the Fountek and the Raal is God's way of punishing the egotists. People who are more interested in bragging, than listening to and enjoying music.

Yes, yes of course it's God's fault.
Please let's talk about god's punishments related to tweeters... I'll take a cup of joe first if you don't mind. ;)

Weird people you say ? Couldn't agree more.

the TC9+Fountek is not to be sniffed at. And to simply dismiss someone's point of view or attempt at a discussion, with snide remarks and comparisons to food that I wouldn't even want to eat, is simply not sporting.

Ok, just quick reminder here:

The thread is called ''World's best Tweeter...'' and it says in the title the word ''subjective''.

My answer to Bob was exactly:

No offense but i'm sure wouldn't compare a TG9FD+Fountek kit with a Voxativ+Raal kit... Not the same league at all.

Unless you find Olive Garden food to taste the same as Joël Robuchon's...

Now, if some of you are thin-skinned, that is sure not my problem but yours. Especially in a thread with such self-explanatory title.

On top of that, it seems i am one of the very few on this forum that DID try the above mentionned drivers... So, yes, Olive Garden and Robuchon (which i also tried, both.)

...and, 5th element, AGAIN, you intrude in one of my threads without any constructive input, such as drivers suggestions.
You start looking a lot like a Throll with a fancy hat... Please, for the last time, try to be constructive or go elsewhere.

This is going a bit off topic, isn't it.

Yes, many things are subjective and the RAALs are extremely expensive. I've only heard 70-20 and it's the best tweeter I've ever heard. It made No.1 place in my head and any new speakers I plan on building will be built around it.

Thank you for the comparison you made, I appreciate it.
BTW I am still in the search for the mid range in my OB project. Ideally a field coil, but the cost of these is just... ...plus the power supply. :grumpy:

This is going a bit off topic, isn't it.

Yes, many things are subjective and the RAALs are extremely expensive. I've only heard 70-20 and it's the best tweeter I've ever heard. It made No.1 place in my head and any new speakers I plan on building will be built around it.

Thank you for the comparison you made, I appreciate it.
BTW I am still in the search for the mid range in my OB project. Ideally a field coil, but the cost of these is just... ...plus the power supply. :grumpy:

A good match with the 70-20 in OB would be the Supravox.

Does 210-10 require foam pads as well?
What is the difference between 210-10 and 140-15 in terms of their purpose?
I noticed you crossed Raal with Voxativ at 4.8kHz which is rather high. At what fq Voxativ starts to beam?
My idea was to use 140-15D, the dipole version, but might end up with the dipole from LF to HF where Raal takes over.

Last edited:
Me a troll? Surely you must be joking.

The point is another one of your threads comes along and it seems to be nothing more than a self important pat on the back. You only seem interested in discussing things with people, who in general, agree with you and have little room for anything else.

Case in point with Bob who comes along and makes a perfectly valid point yet you immediately and condescendingly dismiss it. He has even heard the two tweeters he's talking about yet because his view point differs from your own, nope sorry, we cannot have that, let alone allow it to create some enjoyable discussion, you just point blank shut him down for what basically comes across as - nothing inexpensive, yet properly designed, is even worth considering just because of its price.

And bringing nothing constructive to the thread? Well I tried that in your other thread, trying to bring some scientific control to your test but that didn't go down to well, you were only interested in yourself.

And once again yes, measurements. Why? Loudspeakers are energy conversion devices yet you seem to want to believe there's some sort of magic surrounding them. Nope. Measurements will detail the important aspects about a drivers ability to reproduce the signal given to it, accurately. You seem to be perfectly happy taking this stand point with the ice modules from b&o, why not with loudspeakers? B and O designed their amplifiers with a whole heap of science and engineering know how and very little room for anything else. Audio reproduction is science and engineering, loudspeakers are no different.

Does 210-10 requires foam pads as well?
What is the difference between 210-10 and 140-15 in terms of their purpose?
I noticed you crossed Raal with Voxativ at 4.8kHz which is rather high. At what fq Voxativ starts to beam?

Directivity is not an issue in my room so i don't care much about the beaming. Also, the Voxativ is the less beamy of all the 8'' drivers i tried so far.

210-10D is really a pain to work with. I wouldnt recommend it unless you're going with active/DSP and CD driver or high-end FR such as Voxativ or Lowther.

140-15D is a safe bet but the 70-20XR is liquid smooth and very easy to like.

Here's some Raal 15D-140 Measurements if someone hasn't seen: www.audioexcite.com Blog Archive RAAL 140-15D Ribbon Tweeter Measurements!

Distortion plot is H3 dominant, which is quite odd (no pun intended ;)). Step-down transformer? Usually ribbons have vanishingly low higher order harmonics above ~5khz, even the little ones.

RAAL 15D-140 90dB/1m:

140-15D-2R-15cm-90db-DP2.jpg

Here's my Fountek Neo Pro 5i at 90dB/1m (measured with a SET tube amplifier to exclude crossover distortion):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Me a troll? Surely you must be joking.

The point is another one of your threads comes along and it seems to be nothing more than a self important pat on the back. You only seem interested in discussing things with people, who in general, agree with you and have little room for anything else.

Case in point with Bob who comes along and makes a perfectly valid point yet you immediately and condescendingly dismiss it. He has even heard the two tweeters he's talking about yet because his view point differs from your own, nope sorry, we cannot have that, let alone allow it to create some enjoyable discussion, you just point blank shut him down for what basically comes across as - nothing inexpensive, yet properly designed, is even worth considering just because of its price.

And bringing nothing constructive to the thread? Well I tried that in your other thread, trying to bring some scientific control to your test but that didn't go down to well, you were only interested in yourself.

And once again yes, measurements. Why? Loudspeakers are energy conversion devices yet you seem to want to believe there's some sort of magic surrounding them. Nope. Measurements will detail the important aspects about a drivers ability to reproduce the signal given to it, accurately. You seem to be perfectly happy taking this stand point with the ice modules from b&o, why not with loudspeakers? B and O designed their amplifiers with a whole heap of science and engineering know how and very little room for anything else. Audio reproduction is science and engineering, loudspeakers are no different.

We'll use The sandbox to continue this conversation, shall we ?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/280205-sandbox.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.