World's Best DAC's

patterns of nerve firings in highly evolved and (variously) trained neural networks is a bit beyond our current predictive ability

electronic signal representations of humanly audible sound waves are what we are working with here

home music reproduction shouldn't be about Pointillism, Impressionism verses Ducth Master's Realism
that level of artistic choice, style is in the creation of the works is more analogous to the composer, musician's work in creating, performing the music of differing genre

we can view the paintings in museums, galleries where the paintings are artificially lit, some behind glass that has anti-reflection coating

but most of us are going to view them as prints mediated by inks, printing tech and viewed under our home or the library's lighting or digital renderings on monitors with some specific color temperature "white", varying gamut, resolution...

those are the tech that you should be using as analogies to home audio recorded music reproduction

most of us don't expect our home audio reproduction systems to make Hendrix sound like Parkening, Segovia

and I do want to view Monet reproductions through a optical system that is close to "perfect" measured by all of the color and resolution test patterns traditional to photo, print, video technical evaluation

as well as Vemeer, Rembrant, Van Gogh, Dali...

Everharmonics was asking for something we hear that we can't measure. Looks like we got one.

dave
So it is an important part of the sound that cannot be measured?
Not sound, it's part of the perception. You still can't name audible sound that can't be measured despite your claim of "Lots".

Perhaps it's time to admit your misstatement and fold.

Those examples don't have names so it is hard to describe them...

1) Some people couldn't hear anything (deaf)
2) Some people could hear some thing but not everything
3) Some people could hear some fuzzy thing but couldn't describe or understand it (or he made wrong guesses).
4) Some people could hear some fuzzy thing, and could describe what it is or how it is created or how to recreate it.
So much for the examples of measurement. :rolleyes:

The illusion of sound stage is easily manipulated by playing with speaker position, where you sit (in relation to the speakers) the room acoustics etc. I would have though by now getting the signal to the speakers (the electronics) is trivial, what you do from the speaker to the sitting position and the surrounding environment is an important part of creating the illusion of 3D sound or sound stage, it is an illusion though...

How about a measurement that tells us how well a stereo system creates a 3D soundstage/image?

There are a number of them.

However, how about a reliable subjective description that tells us how well a stereo system creates a 3D soundstage/image.

To qualify, the subjective description should be just as repeatable, reliable, and generally meaningful as a measurement.

Exactly what is "The essential characteristic of the original signal"?

Of course you can't tell me because there is no formal generally agreed-upon meaning for that sentence.

Please remember the beginning of the discussion around this subtopic; i already cited the relevant passage from Kunchur´s FAQ.pdf which elucidates what he meant with resolving.

<snip>
"Higher sampling rates should be used to avoid causing audible changes to the signal."

Yes, that was one of Kunchur´s conclusion based on the results of his experiments. ;)

If, assume, might... Speculation is all you have. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the world of empirical experiments. ;)
Statistical analysis provide probabilities not certainty.

I was talking about "well documented tests in which that happened". So you don't know such test to cite. Again, you argue from speculation. Let us know when you find actual events "which that happened".

Please do yourself a favour and start with the introductory textbook i´ve listed earlier. It will not harm but afterwards you´ll much better understand what is at discussion.
Btw, you asked for a double blind test result earlier, an example was provided and all of a sudden you moved the goal post (claiming that it must be an ABX).

Welcome to the world of empirical experiments. ;)
Statistical analysis provide probabilities not certainty.
Dancing around, typical posting pattern of internet shills. :rolleyes:
Please do yourself a favour and start with the introductory textbook i´ve listed earlier. It will not harm but afterwards you´ll much better understand what is at discussion.
Btw, you asked for a double blind test result earlier, an example was provided and all of a sudden you moved the goal post (claiming that it must be an ABX).
The question written was "tests", not "textbook".
If you stick to the things i´ve really written and leave your own assumptions aside, you´ll imho surely notice that.
Only if you can practice what you preach, you'll earn some credence.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The illusion of sound stage is easily manipulated by playing with speaker position, where you sit (in relation to the speakers) the room acoustics etc. I would have though by now getting the signal to the speakers (the electronics) is trivial, what you do from the speaker to the sitting position and the surrounding environment is an important part of creating the illusion of 3D sound or sound stage, it is an illusion though...

True, but there is a lot more to it than that. It is also important to have all the tiny pieces of information preserved (mag & phase) -- if they exist in the software -- that provide the base information for the illusion.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dancing around, typical posting pattern of internet shills. :rolleyes:

Only if you can practice what you preach, you'll earn some credence.

On the 1st you speak of yourself. Here we have Jakob, obvisously well versed in actual statistics (a well established branch of mathematics), speaking well-established fact and you trying to brush it aside as if you can just make it fantasy… those fantasies are yours -- you show no familiarity with the subject.

dave

That is more or less exactly what i said… far too many systems lose that vital information. If the ear/brain does not have the vital clues it cannot create the illusion of space that is essential to a good hifi.

Thing is, we now know that the ear is quite accepting of audio gear with what is my modern standards fairly modest performance (the electronic parts).

Creating the illusion of sound playing in a space is actually pretty easy to create.

The tricky part is recreating the illusion of sound playing in a specific space so accurately that nobody can hear the difference, and thus far that is mission impossible.

Audiophiles sometimes auto-suggest themselves into believing that they have accomplished this, but this is only because the ear/brain looses it ability to reliably discern small differences when there is even just a very short delay in the comparison, and audiophiles usually have minutes, hours or even days of dead time in their comparisons.

Cable swapping, anybody? Comparing your audio system's sound to a live performance you never actually were at?

Thing is, we now know that the ear is quite accepting of audio gear with what is my modern standards fairly modest performance

You are not being precise. Whose ears, whose standard, whose gear, what gear.

(Not precise --> subjective).

Creating the illusion of sound playing in a space is actually pretty easy to create.

Subjective again.

The tricky part is recreating the illusion of sound playing in a specific space so accurately that nobody can hear the difference, and thus far that is mission impossible.

To be precise, there are many levels between perfect illusion (which cannot be achieved) and terrible soundstage. We are dealing with these intermediate levels, not the impossible part.

We don't know what the "correct" soundstage is (if it is your point), but it is not the point.