World's Best DAC's

Joined 2014
Paid Member
It has been suggested by many posts here, that a well designed DAC in the budget price bracket (sub $500 or so) sounds as good as any expensive, high-end product, by yourself if I am not mistaken (I suppose you can believe all you like! ;)).
Putting exceptions aside such as the two samples you had posted previously, that is a bald claim!
The reasoning? lab measurement results!
Even in the case of those 'exceptions' you, yourself, claimed that the lab measurements were done competently , but the guy who said the DAC sounded good, was a chimp or hilarious - both from same publication (pick and choose?).
I could go one more. Provided that you only need a USB input there is nothing to suggest that the $150 ODAC is not transparent in use.

Areas where a more expensive unit might win out are
-own PSU if your PC is not to spec
-line drive capabilities, esp if you want balanced drive
-the magic 80 year old DHT based I/V stage has pleasant colourations

Other than that there is nothing that should be detectable by even the keenest golden ear as long as the magpie is not being used to make the decisions (ooh shiny).

I could go one more. Provided that you only need a USB input there is nothing to suggest that the $150 ODAC is not transparent in use.

Areas where a more expensive unit might win out are
-own PSU if your PC is not to spec
-line drive capabilities, esp if you want balanced drive
-the magic 80 year old DHT based I/V stage has pleasant colourations

Other than that there is nothing that should be detectable by even the keenest golden ear as long as the magpie is not being used to make the decisions (ooh shiny).
There you go!
My point exactly.
BTW - I respect your opinion, and I am not familiar with the ODAC.
But even if it does, it must be a real gem, and not indicative of majority.

youknowyou, a lesson for you, the following is how quotes are used when you point out what someone did on the forum.

KenTajalli claimed that
better sounding DACs are appearing all the time.
and when I asked him for supporting proof, he had none.
You and your level matched listening tests!
that's only part of the story.
For most, living with a piece of equipment matters, that why prudent people part with money, after a dealer allows them 'home auditioning' for weeks before buying.
In a controlled room, concentrating to pick up differences between A & B is not the same as listening to a device for sometime.
Level matched, blind or otherwise, listening tests are good engineers, so are specifications, graphs and numbers.
You don't buy a BMW because it has so many lb/inch compression in each cylinder, do you?
Nor do you buy a sports car, after just a quick test drive.
(if you do, lend us some money, you must have a lot)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
KenTajalli claimed that
better sounding DACs are appearing all the time.
and when I asked him for supporting proof, he had none.

Now, if I had claimed that product X measures better than product Y , then you had a point.
Sounding better, is only to the ears of the beholders, if it does to enough ears, then it does.
I have seen guys, buy horrible sounding 'stereo's' that could only manage boom and tizz with not much in between, that played their House-Music to their satisfaction, and they swore by them.
Are they delusional? do they need proof in terms written data?
Come to think of it, my beloved system would play the same music flat in comparison!
No piece of equipment is signature free, transparent or inert, unless it is a short piece of wire!
I have read many posts and articles on sound signature of certain resistors, I have tried and failed to detect any, unless the implementation was to blame.
I can easily detect differences in sound of different capacitors in crucial locations, some think I am imagining.
Resistors get made and sold regardless of what I think of them, they may even sound better, to those who pay for them.
Let me ask you a question:
_ do you have any beliefs, certainties about this matter, or are you just asking others for documented proof in regards to their claim?
What do you think?
(Carefull , I'll be asking for documented proof, level-matched listening tests of at least 10 different pairs ears, two must be black Africans, one Asian, and one native American at least!)

Last edited:
As the ODAC was just mentioned and I have one ordered and on the way, the Rev B version from JDS Labs. I think the engineer that made it has the right idea as far as all the hoopla goes. Too bad he disappeared as more audio items from his talent would have been cool to see come out.. It's just a USB DAC and it did need updating due to some issues, but I believe the man when he says the ODAC compared to his Benchmark DAC 1 which at that time cost $1600. Lots of measurements to see in the links.

NwAvGuy: ODAC Released

Releasing ODAC RevB | JDS Labs Blog

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/46/standalone-odac-rev-b/

Last edited:
you are claiming that ALL dacs sounded same, then you need to provide scientific evidence to proof we are all wrong, instead of dropping BS all over this thread

Is their scientific proof that God exists. Their is no scientific proof that what you hear is true, there is a saying "seeing is believing" and "hearsay" is that not enough indication that what people are claiming here is a load of hogwash. :Pinoc:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Is their scientific proof that God exists. Their is no scientific proof that what you hear is true, there is a saying "seeing is believing" and "hearsay" is that not enough indication that what people are claiming here is a load of hogwash. :Pinoc:

First time I see "their" used for "there". Normally it is the other way around.

Trendsetter !

Nico, as I am willing to bring you on the enlightened path of the real audio faith I am willing to send you one of my DAC boards. If it sounds better than your Rotel you keep it and pay for it (not expensive). If you don't hear (or measure) any difference you can send it back at your expense.

How 'bout that ?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yeah it confuses me as we have to learn :

- they're working there
- we should have listened
- Is it theirs ? Yes it is their car.
- is there a bar here ?

I should of mentioned that ;)

Did you see my attempt at having you changing your faith ? Please be informed that the enlightened path of real audio faith is a one way path. There is no turning back !