World Premiere - Western Electric WE300B/2021 Lot REPORT #1

Translated From Mr Makoto Ohashi's forum

World Premiere - Western Electric WE300B/2021 Lot REPORT #1

In 2006, the Western Electric 300B was discontinued without any notice although manufacturing announcements were repeated on the WE homepage,
no one even saw the actual product in the United States, and gradually the people concerned said that it would be difficult to revive even in the meantime,
and it had been 15 years since the production was discontinued.

That is the complete announcement. I contacted the site immediately and confirmed that it was true, it seemed to be true this time. So I immediately placed an order.
The reason is electrical measurement and sound quality confirmation. For that purpose, 2 valves are not enough, so I decided to purchase a matched quad (4 valves).
The local price is US $ 3099. If you add tariffs and shipping costs, it's a lot of money, but that's not the case.
When it comes to the revival of the original Western, I have to get it anyway ... I felt like that sense of mission.

What appeared in front of me after unpacking it ...

There is no different from 15 years ago. This is the best of the original Western Electric.

There is no different from 15 years ago. This is the best of the original Western Electric.

In the box, the instruction manual, measurement data with serial number, and warranty registration card are stored as they were in 2006.

The most important measurement data sheet. The method of measuring the Ip value at Ep = 300V and EG = -58V is the same as at that time.

Each part in the valve has not been changed from the original. The thinness of the glass remains the same as it was at that time.
The pitch of the sound when the glass clicked with the index finger is also unique to the WE300B.

Print of the base part. The miracle of date code 2113 (first quarter of 2021) will be handed down forever.

The appearance of the rice ball-shaped mica, including the filament hook shape, has not changed at all.

This is the serial number stamped on the base. The new lot starts at 3.
It can be said that the product is complete only when these three numbers, the outer box, the data sheet, and the engraved base, are complete.

So far, it's perfect, it's better than expected. But my biggest purpose today is from here. How does the electrical characteristics compare to the conventional original WE300B?
…about it. For that purpose, a helper was called in a hurry. We decided to have Mr. S, who is asking us to assemble our amplifier,
come to the showroom and perform precise measurements. Is the objectivity of the attached data sheet guaranteed?

This is a device that records the dynamic characteristics of a vacuum tube by swinging the plate voltage and grid bias.
All control and data management is done on the computer.
Is it easy to understand the device for measuring the Ep-Ip curve that is often found on vacuum tube data sheets?
Is the wonderful Ep-Ip characteristic attached to the reissue WE300B ?

The data sheet attached to the product is on the left. The data on the right is the data measured in kind today.
First of all, I tried to collect data on individuals in the first quarter of 2006.
Although there was a 2-3% difference that seemed to be environment-dependent when compared,
the same difference was observed at almost all points, indicating that the reliability of the measurement results is extremely high.

Finally, when I take the data of this lot ...

Plate current: 56.93 mA, internal resistance: 800 Ω, transconductance: 4891 μm hos, μ: 3.9 V / V

Plate current: 56.41 mA, internal resistance: 820 Ω, transconductance: 4753 μm hos, μ: 3.9 V / V

Data log was detected. It is a unique value to the head family, which is completely impeccable.
First of all, I was very satisfied with the fact that the electrically incorrect one was reprinted.
Let's check the sound quality before checking whether it can be said that the price is about twice as high as it was in 2006.

Change the place to the listening room and burn in 300B first. After getting used to it until tomorrow morning,
I plan to take the time to listen to the comparison. Please stage tuned the second report (listening)!

Last edited:
PART #2 Translated From Mr Makoto Ohashi's forum

March 17, 2021

After meeting with the excitement of yesterday, we will prepare for a full-scale audition. Burn-in is something that you definitely want to do.
The finished products that we deliver to you are burned in for 20 to 50 hours depending on the equipment,
but it can be said that burn-in is one of the extremely important methods when updating vacuum tubes (especially output tubes). ..

If your amp uses a rectifier tube, the method is very simple. By removing only the rectifier tube and all the other vacuum tubes inserted,
your amplifier can be transformed into a vacuum tube aging machine. By pulling out the rectifier tube, only the heater (filament) voltage is supplied to each vacuum tube,
and the plate voltage (high voltage) for current operation is not applied, so for example, the car engine is warmed up. It will be possible to break in the tube set,
where the gear is not engaged (= no load).

In particular, output tube burn-in is extremely important and is effective in extending the lifespan, and is also effective in improving the delicacy of sound and reducing noise.
It can be said that this is an effective and important measure for all vacuum tubes, not to mention the expensive vacuum tubes.

... I derailed a little bit from today's main subject. We will check the sound quality of the new Western Electric 300B that burned in from yesterday afternoon to today's noon.
We have prepared three types of WE300B this time to objectively audition.

Three types of re-issue WE300B. From the left, it is the fourth quarter of 1999, the first quarter of 2006, and the first quarter of 2009 .
The LOT 9952 on the left is said to be the special order of a Japanese distributor at that time, and the plate is carbon-suited and the pins are also gold-plated.
I remember that the price was about 20% higher than the regular product at that time, but it is said to be the highest grade among the re-issue products from 1995 to 2006
(By the way, there is also a non-carbon / gold plated product in 9952). So you need to check the actual item carefully).

If you look closely, LOT 2113 has a less blackish appearance in terms of plate color, or an appearance close to silver. Let's move on to auditioning immediately.
First of all, it is an experiment with a single (SV-91B Sunvalley amp).

We use the same music and the same gain with the same amplifier. If you listen to it in this way,
you can see that there is a considerable difference in sound output depending on the age of the tube.

First of all, you can see that the LOT 2113 has the longest range of low frequencies in the re-issue WE300B.
It is a low expression that not only stretches but also feels thick. LOT 0613 has a slightly higher-frequency balance,
but I feel that this tendency has become even more apparent in this comparison.
Also, it is said that LOT 0613 (to be exact, a re-issue after 2002) has individual differences in the degree of vacuum in the tube,
and I heard that WE had a lot of trouble in terms of quality control (at that time, it was a regular route in Japan.
Basically, all the individuals that came in are good products that have cleared with inspection, so don't worry), and LOT 2113 seems to have cleared that task as well.
This time, I would like to introduce the difference between LOT 0613 and LOT 2213 because I was able to understand it from the outside.

It is the situation of glow discharge that I took with my smartphone. I tried shooting LOT 0613 under the same conditions,
but it was at a level that I could not recognize visually even if I could see it. Furthermore, while the glow of LOT 0613 appears in the upper half of the tube ,
LOT 2113, like the LOT 9952, the glow appears concentrated around the mica plate at the top of the tube and the brightness is also quite high.

It is said that this glow is ionized and emits blue light at the moment when some of the thermions emitted from the filament toward the plate do not reach the plate and collide with the tube wall.
If the glow always comes out strongly. It does mean that the tube is excellent, but if the glow is uniform among the tube, it can be said that the quality (control) is stable.
Anyway, the glow of LOT 2113 is wonderful.

The overall impression is that the LOT 2113 sounds closer to the 9952 than the 0613 and the low frequencies are richer and richer than the 9952.
Even with the same output, the volume can be heard louder.

By the way, today's audition source (CD)

Both are recommended sources with a wide range of sound sources and excellent direct sound ratio (balance between direct sound and indirect sound).

We will check the sound quality by push-pull amp.

Monaural / transformer drive push-pull. The sound of the theater amplifier with the deepest expression tends to be heard with the thickness of the mid-low range,
but while the LOT 2113 further strengthens that tendency, the fineness of the graininess of the high range is a group among the three reproductions.

Since this 86B is the same pure iron output transformer as the original, the frequency response is only extended to about 13kHz / -3dB.
That is what makes the sound quality of this amp decisive, but while none of the Western Electric 300Bs feel any lack of high frequencies,
the LOT 2113 has a natural extension of high frequencies. It's often said that the Western Electric 300B doesn't need a tweeter, but the legend is still alive.

The new Western Electric 300B / 2113, which have just arrived to have quality and sound quality. It's woth the long waiting

Based on the results of this audition, I decided to record with the same theme at MUSIC BIRD in a hurry.
Recording has already been completed for quite some time, but I would like to change the schedule and prepare to be on air twice in the series from mid-April.
It may be a great opportunity for those who want to apply for MUSIC BIRD but are wondering what to do.

This report is a personal summary of four re-issue WE300B from the appearances, characteristics, and impressions of the audition.
It does not represent the opinion of Western Electric.

Last edited:
quote vkung translate
" pulling out the rectifier tube, only the heater (filament) voltage is supplied to each vacuum tube,
and the plate voltage (high voltage) for current operation is not applied, so for example, the car engine is warmed up. It will be possible to break in the tube set,
where the gear is not engaged (= no load)."

For what I read at diyaudio put only the heater voltage for long is really bad for the tube !

For what I read at diyaudio put only the heater voltage for long is really bad for the tube!

I trust Mr. Mr Makoto Ohashi then a lot of expert they know nothing about tube.. ...
Do you thing he wants to damage the $3000 tube set...? of course not...
There are a lot of CPAs they do not know how to file their income tax return..

Last edited:
Finally, I received my WE300B today

51049648558_698e0502f1_k.jpg

51050460772_476d01e006_k.jpg

51050460802_9d1dc56a01_k.jpg

51049648668_1f0443e8f2_k.jpg

51049648703_ba80ceb7b7_k.jpg

51050460957_94f80fcbd4_k.jpg

I can offer WE300B ( OEM) to ELEKIT owner only..
If you are interested and ELEKIT owner, please email me..

Last edited:
There is no tube manufacturer will offer 5 years warranty..

If they last the claimed 40,000 hours then the the cost per hour will only a few cents, making them an absolute bargin at the hefty price. However I have learnt to be wary of manufacture warranties which often aren't worth the paper they a written on. It's too easy to blame the failure on something else in the circuit.

The warrenty card which needs to be returned within 10 days seems rather outdated and for those that live overseas does not allow much time. Why not have an online registration; afterall most buyers would have used an internet connection to buy them.

I would be more interest in buying these kind of tubes on a lease/hire basis, which is how alot of cars/phones are purchased now. You pay a monthly rental fee and if the tube fails you won't have to worry to much because it will get replaced. The rental charges will create a long term income stream for the manufacturer. The buyer doesn't have worry about warranties etc being honored and if they don't like the sound quality they can end the contract after a set period of time. I don't want to spend a fortune on something which has a non servicable critical component no thicker than a hair on my head; it's too much money to loose. and thoughts of fingers getting burnt come to mind.

Really want the company to be a sucess.

Surprising review posted BY Western Electric - WE300B / 2021 lot third report (burn-in edition)
March 22, 2021

Since the new WE300B blog was posted the other day ( first and second reports ), I received inquiries from various places,
and in a situation where I was surprised by the unexpected response, today's more amazing news ….

"Sun Valley review is posted on the Western Electric homepage". No way! .

50998266690_be0ced0d35_b.jpg

Click to jump to the WE homepage
REVIEW: Sunvalley Audio Blog — Western Electric - Maker of electron tubes and high fidelity

“So far, it's perfect, no, better than expected.
But my purpose today is this: How do the electrical characteristics compare to the old stock WE 300B?”
— SUNVALLEY AUDIO BLOG

Next is a follow-up report on burn-in. In the second report, we announced the importance of burn-in, but please see the results.

51067548277_1e6682a6d3_b.jpg

51067453556_9ed3ce0ec3_b.jpg

Less than 0.6mV / 8Ω ... This value is not easy, and it is an amazing value considering that 86 amplifiers are all-stage AC ignition.
After 50 hours of burn-in started on Friday evening, it dropped sharply after about 30 hours
and dropped to about 1/3 of the initial value in 50 hours.
Even if you look at this, you can see how important the initial burn-in is, and at the same time, it is an unwavering voucher of
how high the basic quality of the new WE300B is.

Please stay tuned!!

Last edited:
青は藍より出でて藍より青し ~It is bluer than indigo~ : オーディオ万華鏡(SUNVALLEY audio公式ブログ)
Here is the translation…

Blue dye comes from the indigo, and it is bluer than indigo.
(This refer to the blue color dye extracted from the Ai-grass (indigo plant), noting that its color is more beautiful than the color of the Ai-grass (indigo plant) itself.

(This is a Japanese idiom referring to an apprentice surpassing his master.)

March 28, 2021
March was just, such a month. The new WE300B (# 2113) was procured from the USA after the announcement of the resumption of shipment without any notice.

Its electrical quality and first impressions are reported the other day.

Based on these results, we have to provide many Western Electric fans with an opportunity to actually hear the sound ...
I hurriedly recorded MUSIC BIRD from a feeling of duty. Fifteen years after the sudden discontinuation of production in 2006,
this is a two-part series to celebrate the reissue of the Western Electric 300B and to listen to the sound on public radio for the first time in the world.

Scheduled to be on air
4/16 the world premiere! New WE300B single game ① ~ # 0613 vs # 2213 ~
4/30 the world premiere! New WE300B single game ② ~ # 2213 vs old WE300Bs ~

WE300Bs of each age group gathered at MUSIC BIRD studio. First of all, we will carefully compare and audition the lot of the last quarter of 2006 and the lot of the first quarter of 2021.
All conditions are the same except for 300B. The output gain is perfectly matched to provide program listeners with the same listening environment as in the studio.

This reference disks are

Gyöngyi Eledi / Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suite Nos. 2, 1, 5

Corrinne May / Beautiful Seed

Two amps were used for this recording.

SV-91B (WE337A-WE337A-WE300B-WE274B). Single / filament DC ignition

LM86B (262B-262B-300Bpp-CV717 / 5R4GY). In the first push-pull / filament AC ignition

(4/16 on-air), # 0613 and # 2113 are compared, and I wrote about this difference in my blog the other day.

First of all, you can see that the LOT 2113 has the longest range of low frequencies in the reissue WE300B.
It is a low expression that not only stretches but also feels thick.
LOT 0613 has long been said to have a slightly higher-frequency balance,
but I feel that this tendency has become even more apparent in this comparison.

I think that you can experience exactly that feeling on the air this time, but since there was a new discovery due to the change in the environment this time,
I would like to add that the 86B AC ignition amplifier clearly shows # 2113 even in the high frequency response. It is known that the range is wider.
Not only is the resonance deep and rich, but the bandwidth is also extended # 2113. I always say that audio is not superior or inferior,
but it is safe to say that # 2113 clearly surpassed # 0613 as the potential of the output tube that determines the sound quality of the amplifier.
Its very characteristic is "Blue is out of indigo and bluer than indigo".

In the second session (4/30 on air), we will listen to # 2113 in comparison with the old 300B of each generation. Appeared in 1988 (original final lot),
1959, 1940s (engraved). If you compare it again, you can see that the sound quality of the same WE300B differs considerably depending on the age.
It was 1988 when it was moist and calm. In 1959, the sound overhang was clear. Rich and rich 40's engraving ... If you go back to the first 300A,
the WE300B has a history of more than 80 years. I can't control the excitement that the history, which everyone thought was cut off in 2006, started to move again.

Please note that this report is the result of auditioning the program, does not represent the opinion of Western Electric,
and does not foresee or guarantee the quality of the company's products.
At this time, domestic distributors have not officially announced the handling of the new WE300B.

Last edited: