World copper supply running out!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Well, if we run out of copper for wire, we can still use aluminum. The used aluminum in the past, in WWII I believe when copper was in short supply.

Of course, of some 47 trailers they used aluminum wiring in, 45 or so caught fire, but I'm sure we can work the bugs out eventually. Be sure to have fire extinguishers handy in each room. :D

oil shortage, show me the money

To just say "we are running out of oil" is to not understand the question.

It all depends how much your willing to pay for it!

Double the price per barrel and those difficult to get at, therefore expensive reserves are now would drilling.

Show me your money people!!!

Paul (sat on an oil rig in the middle of the north sea as i write this)

:yikes: There is a critical world wide shortage of both surplus and abundance!!

I'm more worried about aluminium.
Copper is often used simply because it is easier to join.

We are using copper for less and less things

Copper plumbing is being replaced with Plastic alternatives.

Aluminium is used for high tension wires and bulk power conduction around cities.

Any decent loudspeaker also uses copper plated aluminium conductors.

The advent of the SMPS has reduced demand for both iron and copper in electronic power supplies

WW2 alone can probably account for the loss of perhaps a quarter of the available global copper reserve now at the bottom of the oceans from conflict sunk shipping, and then dumping most of the electronic war surplus into the oceans after the war as there was too much of it to store, or too little collective wisdom to store it. It likely won't be available for use again until our planet and solar system are recycled in a future supernova.

Let's not even mention who is trying to suppress THAT sort of thing...

I'll mention it- the laws of thermodynamics. "Water fuels" are an old, old scam. The fundamental problem is that the O-H bonds in water are very, very stable. There is a high barrier to breaking them which is not even close to made up for when one forms H-H and O-O bonds. Even miracle non-existent catalysis won't help you here.

GRollins said:
Fact: Oil production peaked in--quoting from memory--1971. It has fallen steadily since and will continue to do so.

That's the US you are talking about.
Sulphur content in Brent oil is 0.3%, oil from Kazahkstan does 4.5 %.
Whether the oil reserve is 2 or 4 trillion barrels, it will run out and each day it will cost more to get it up and clean it.
With oil consumption nearing 100 million barrels a day each to his own optimism.
Same goes for gas production, more sour gas, higher costs.
For the oil sands in Canada the same story applies.
Legislation for sulphur content by the EPA, IMO Marpol, EC and all others than follow will make your drops of gasoline even more expensive.
The trend for copper is not from yesterday, it has been evolving for a number of years.
Like Paul said: you want it, you'll pay for it !!
You better make your ampies now and hope you're dead before it's time to buckle up.
On the other hand, maybe in 10 years from now your superconducting amplifier may be running on fuel cells.
A friend of mine is doing research on fuel cell operated ships.

SY said:

I'll mention it- the laws of thermodynamics. "Water fuels" are an old, old scam. The fundamental problem is that the O-H bonds in water are very, very stable. There is a high barrier to breaking them which is not even close to made up for when one forms H-H and O-O bonds. Even miracle non-existent catalysis won't help you here.

Of course, we have an ongoing ethanol scam as well -- (quite popular in the middle of the states) -- when the physical costs are computed you get fewer btu's out than you put in.

SEC reserves are a function of geology, prices and discount rates.

Speaking of subsidence, Im more worried about water than oil. It worries me the way were mining out our water tables. At some point it gets too low and draws salt water, ruining it for almost ever. Its one thing to have to ride the bus, its another to not eat.

At a certain point it becomes more economical to make your otto fuel from coal than petrol, like the Nazis did.

There is one place where water fuel is tenable, Iceland with geothermal power, but anyone who proposes breaking water apart for less energy than you get from putting it back together again is a crank.

Yeah Tweeker,

Look into the okalala (sp?) aquafer.

The hydrogen thing is getting a bad rap because it is misrepresented... by nutcases.

The smart people are not claiming hydrogen as a energy source... merely a medium in which to store energy... and in this way it shows promise. Fuels with greater mass/volume energy density are of course more apealing but more problematic to manufacture.
What few people are facing is the energy source... solar has to become 3 times cheaper; or energy 3 times more expensive (and this raises the cost of solar) before it becomes viable as an energy source on a large scale.

We need nuke plants on a large scale... no one will face it. Some of the people that need it the most... are also the same people you don't want having it. We need a new, and clean, medium for energy storage; that is all hydrogen is about.

Poobah -- solar is probably economic right now (maybe not here in snowy NJ, but certainly in AZ) -- with gas at over $7 or $8 per mbtu -- even though the very high quality silicas are in somewhat short supply -- one of the drivers of the economics not surprisingly is the layers of taxation on natural gas -- keep these gas prices high enough and they will figure a way of cleanly burning lignite down in Texas

anyway -- it's all about liberating an electron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.