Wordle

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
When I was young, we spent hours on end playing what we called word game. Same rules but it was always 4 letter words.
I was introduced recently to this new sensation and tried it today. Now I know it's beginners luck, but first time out I got it in 3 words.
I think I'll try again and let it bring me back to earth.
Who else is doing this?

Attachments

• DSCN8507.jpg
    DSCN8507.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 967
When I was young, we spent hours on end playing what we called word game. Same rules but it was always 4 letter words.
I was introduced recently to this new sensation and tried it today. Now I know it's beginners luck, but first time out I got it in 3 words.
I think I'll try again and let it bring me back to earth.
Who else is doing this?
👍 wordle with coffee in the morning to start the day.

Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just figured out why this seems easy. When we played four letter word game, you only knew how many letters were correct in the right location and how many were right in the wrong location, you weren’t told which letter was which. When we tried doing five letter word game you could take an hour and use 20 or more guesses. It was just too hard. This way gives you a huge advantage. At my age, I kinda like that. ;)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
The software is free, open source, and its github repository contains two word lists. One of them is the list of solutions (!!!) and the other is the list of permissible guess words that are not solutions. There are 2315 words in the list of solutions and 12971 permissible guess words that are not solutions.

I created a letter frequency table from the list of solutions, attached below.

Then I wrote the ten most frequent letters (E A R O T L I S N C) on a piece of paper and asked my wife to form two 5-letter words from these ten most frequent letters. She succeeded

CONES (also SCONE)
TRAIL (also TRIAL)

And those are always my first two guesses in Wordle.

Attachments

• frequencies.png
    frequencies.png
    8 KB · Views: 350
'hangman'.
That too is different than the 'Word Game' we played. With Word Game you got an X (correct location) or an O (wrong location) beside the presented word.

Example for the word MASK :

1. GAME X O
2. MALT X X
3. BALK X X
4. CALL X
5. MAIM X X
6. MASS X X X
7. MASK X X X X

Much harder when you don't know which letter the X and O refers to.
Imagine giving your opponent a word like LULL. Yes it was among the favourites with the newer players, just not on the first night. ;)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Here's how it worked out today. After the first two guesses, I could only think of two 5-letter words that contained CERL and obeyed the yellow thou-shall-not-go-here commands: CLERK and ULCER. I flipped a coin and lucked out.

Attachments

• wordle.png
    wordle.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 323
Reactions: 1 users
The luck continues. All words so far are 3 or 4 tries with the exception of one. They threw in a foreign word. BIJOU. Apparently it means a piece of jewellery in French. I’d never heard of it so I ran out of tries after getting 3 right on the third guess.
Aren´t you Canadian?
Then "bijou" isn´t a foreign word ;)

Hey, even your Prime Minister has a French surname :eek: