woofer assested full range design wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought some 9mm “Acoustic Pin Board” (NCR rating 0.4) to line Bob Bs T7-A7IIs. I figure I’ll have to double it.

Tonight we visited a friend who said he’d build passive line-level crossovers for me. He ask me about crossover slope and decibels and other things that I had no idea about.

Then we listened to his new B&W 802Ds. I measured 95db on my phone and the speakers didn’t even sound loud.

Arrg, Mack

As to the implied question about passive XO for the Alpairs - I'd try something around 80-100Hz for mono, and perhaps as high as 350Hz for stereo. First order has the fewest number of parts - if using the individual amp's input impedance in the calculus, a single cap for each HP and LP stage.

http://p10hifi.net/TLS/downloads/PLLXO_Calculator.xls.zip

Be aware that if you found 95dB not to be particularly loud (perhaps that was on peaks?) , you could be at risk of over-driving the Alpairs if your goal is to sustain higher levels than that.

As to the implied question about passive XO for the Alpairs - I'd try something around 80-100Hz for mono, and perhaps as high as 350Hz for stereo. First order has the fewest number of parts - if using the individual amp's input impedance in the calculus, a single cap for each HP and LP stage.

http://p10hifi.net/TLS/downloads/PLLXO_Calculator.xls.zip

Be aware that if you found 95dB not to be particularly loud (perhaps that was on peaks?) , you could be at risk of over-driving the Alpairs if your goal is to sustain higher levels than that.

Thanks for XO info Chris & P10.

I should have used "harsh" instead of "loud". I guess it's one of the differences in having 8w/c and $100. drivers vs. 140w/c and high end speakers.

About 75db is my normal listening level.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.