Wiring issue with speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, newbie here so hope my post makes sense! I have a small inexpensive Philips audio system, model number FWM 387/12. For some reason the left speaker seems to have died on me. I have a old pair of Technics speakers model number SB-EH60 so thought I would just make do with swapping the speakers over until such time as I have decided what new system to get. I am currently looking at sound bars, and multi room systems but that will be a question for another post as I don't have a clue at the moment! Lol!

The problem I have is that the old speakers are 4 wire speakers and the ones I want to replace them with are 2 wire speakers. I would be very grateful, therefore, if anyone could advise me as to how they should be connected to the hifi. Oh, and work! Lol! Many thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Well this looks as clear as mud :)

The image is from the manual and seems to show that the speaker may be of a type with a separate bass feed.

I'm going to suggest you try wiring yours to the lower blue terminals and see what you get. So that's one speaker wired to the 'L' pair and one to the 'R' pair.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 47
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
So like this. Make sure you get the polarity correct which means connecting both speakers the same way. If you get one reversed then the bass will cancel out... so just swap the wires to one speaker over. Doesn't matter which, and it doesn't really matter on the absolute polarity either.

Excuse the crummy drawing. Good luck.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 53
HI, I found the PDF in Polish ! :p
Nonetheless, I eventually arrived atthe end of it, where the technical specifications are.
So, for each speaker we have a 5.25 " woofer and a 1.75 " tweeter
wysokotonowy, yes, a tweeter :D
both 6 Ω impedance

Now, try to connect the low frequency output- LOW CH ---red---- to your speaker ---ehm, both left and right speakers to both LOW CH L&R outputs.
I guess that you won't hear the treble because probably they have one amplifier for each (Type of) speaker....

[more advanced suggestions after this 1st step ----To see if the amplifier or the speaker is broken]

Right, the first attempt to the blue wires just seemed to feed the tweeter, so tried picowallspeaker's suggestion on the red and YAY, success!:D That is the best this system has ever sounded! So thanks very much for your help it was very much appreciated!

My next project is to sort out whether to go for a sound bar with subwoofer for the TV as the sound it produces is awful. Or home cinema, or possibly multi room system. Had a listen to a couple of soundbars today and although they were good, I am not convinced I would be satisfied with the quality to stream music through. So, the search is on!

Great work guys! :happy2:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.