Wireless remote speaker on/off switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need a wireless remote speaker on/off switch (stereo). This $200 item does the job, but has features I'd never use: ATM 7-Zone Speaker Selector with Remote Control

The switch is for auxiliary speakers; the primary speakers are always connected. In effect, I need only a remote controlled DPST switch rated 6A, to open/close one conductor per each speaker.

Could someone design a DIY circuit for my application? The remote requires only one function, open/close (on/off). Could an old laptop SMPS supply the required power?

I realize a receiver or integrated would work, but in this application the same amp must drive both sets of speakers.

Thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, that's the sort of thing I first thought of hacking, but there are easier ways.
Have a look at something like this:
Amazon.com: INSMA 433Mhz Wireless RF Switch Long Range DC 12V 4CH Channel Wireless Remote Control Switch, DC12V Relay Receiver Module, Transmitter Toggle Switch RF Relay (2 Transmitter & 1 Receiver): Home Improvement
or this:
ELENKER DC 12v 10A relay 1CH wireless RF Remote Control Switch Transmitter with Receiver - - Amazon.com

As you stated, you need to switch 2 poles, so look for something like that. If you have a common ground, you could switch just the ground, so a STSP would do. Seems to be a lot of those on Amazon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.