Winter DIY OTTAWA MEET

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks, the Ottawa Winter DIY Meet is a go for Sunday January 23rd 2011 at The General Burns Community Centre. With the great response we've had, we've decided to add another day to allow for more testing. Saturday the 22nd of January (the day before the originaly scheduled meet) the hall will be available to us as well (thanks Pierre). We are looking to make this mostly a testing day. Everyone is welcome on both or either day.

Times are: Saturday Jan. 22 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM and Sunday Jan. 23 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM

It is the same location we used for our first meet back in June 2010. For those that were not there in June (or can't remember how to get back there), the address is 86 Argue Dr. It is located in the Fisher Glen area. It can be accessed from Fisher Ave. via Normandy Cres. or from Meadowlands Dr. E. via Chesterton Dr. to Charkay St. to Seymour Ave.

We are asking that each participant donates $10 toward the cost of the hall rental. Any surplus will be used for future events.

Please let us know, by posting in this thread as soon as possible, the following:

1. if you plan to attend and which days,

2. what gear you would like to demo

3. if you would like to be involved in measuring any gear

I will update the list as people post.

Even if you have nothing to demo, come on out. Just bring your enthusiasm for DIY. That's good enough. If you have a desire to hear something specific, mention it. There may be someone that can bring that type of gear. If you have some gear you would like an opinion on, bring it. Even if it is commercial but you're looking to update/rebuild/improve it. You most likely will find an opinion or two that may prove useful.

The List (updated 16/1/11)

1. Rick (ripcard)---Sat. & Sun.---Bringing CSS Quartet 15 Sub-woofer, DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 (EQ for subs) and home built 8" Vifa two-way vented speakers of unknown origin for evaluation.
Would like to measure sub-woofer.

2. ? (gabdx)---I will demo a tda1541 dac from analogmetric, I will need a transport/amp/ speakers for that.

3. Mark (mwmkravchenko)---Sat. & Sun.---CBT line array with integrated dual 8" front loaded horn. 4, count them 4 subwoofers. All with the same driver complement (2 pcs Exodus Audio Anarchy 6 1/2").Front loaded, Tapped Horn, Vented, and Unhorn. You guys get to listen to them all and judge for yourselves what is what.

4. Pierre (PierreQuiRoule)---Sat. & Sun. ---Bringing amps this time. What types will be a surprise. I'll pass on measurements this time. I rather get in the mood for listening and enjoying good company :).

5. Dave (DDF)---Sat. & Sun.--- Look for the guy with bells on. Demo: passive pre-amp (a bit different than the usual) if there's time. A simple 2 way, if there's time. Mark and I have been discussing speaker measurement gear off-line.

6. Tony (Tony D)---I would like to attend also, $10 isn't a problem unfortunately I don't have anything to demo yet. Sorry guys.

7. Normand (normand)---I am new to this group but very curious about what is going on. I would like very much to attend.

8. John (bearberry)---Sat. & Sun.--- I hope to have ready some small speakers for use with a PC: Nano Neos, New Horizons, Zaph's project 18, and MicroFonken. Would like to make it for measurement session Saturday. And would like to hear any <$150 USB DACs anyone might have.

9. Ron (ronu9400)---Sat. & Sun.---I plan to be there, and my son might also attend. Shared the link with a couple of audio buddies, so perhaps they'll join us. I've got a Little Dot 1+ amp that is configured for headphones in 32-ohm territory. I also have some old AKG 240 sextette headphones, but no dedicated amp for them...they're around 600-ohms, if memory serves me correctly.

10. ? (MrSlim)---Sat. & Sun.---There are a few things I can bring (AMB Gamma 2 DAC, Headphonia CableDac, Cavalli CTH head amp, CK2III Head amp and a Panda Class A head amp (if I get the last two built over the christmas break), Senn HD580, AKG K601, and maybe a Salas DCB1. Unless someone has already identified a projector, I have one that I can bring, as long as my son isn't planning on using it..

11. Tyler (Redshift187)---I'll bring my LM3886 DC coupled amp and if it's finished a simple TDA1541/CS8412 NOS DAC.

12. Owen (opc)---Sat. & Sun.---I'll be there for sure. I can drag along the following:

1. Lynn Olsen's Ariel loudspeakers
2. Firstwatt F5
3. Pass Labs Aleph 2 monoblocks
4. My new headphone amp project "The Wire"
5. My "Finished" DAC project "New take on the classic D1"
6. Music Server (more stable this time)
7. A restored Dynaco ST-70 amplifier (there was no tube gear last time)
8. Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
9. AKG 240 MKII Headphones

I can also do a quick 30 minute presentation on SMPS design, and maybe a little class D amplifier design as well.

13. John (multisync)---I will bring a couple of things to give away and a lme49811 based power amp.(if I can stop modifying it)[/QUOTE]

14. Adam (Binary110)---I'll be there again. I'm gonna bring a dayton ma1240 (12 channel amplifier) and a behringer DCX2496. I wish someone had an Emotiva UMC-1 to throw into that mix so that i could see/use/hear one in the real world.

15. ? (DCtoDaylight)---Sat.---I'm going to try and make it over to meet people on Saturday.

Hi Guy's!
I'm just confirming that I will attend on Saturday. I won't be dragging anything along this time, other than a few photo's of projects past and present (speakers, active x-overs, amps).
Cheers, Dave
An audiofile wish list:
Zero Distortion
Infinite Signal to Noise ratio
and a bandwidth from DC to Daylight

Please see post #102 for details of the Winter Ottawa DIY Meet

The List (updated 19/1/11)

1. Rick (ripcard)---Sat. & Sun.---Bringing CSS Quartet 15 Sub-woofer, DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 (EQ for subs) and home built 8" Vifa two-way vented speakers of unknown origin for evaluation.
Would like to measure sub-woofer.

2. Gabriel (gabdx)---Sun.---I will demo a tda1541 dac from analogmetric, I will need a transport/amp/ speakers for that.

3. Mark (mwmkravchenko)---Sat. & Sun.---CBT line array with integrated dual 8" front loaded horn. 4, count them 4 subwoofers. All with the same driver complement (2 pcs Exodus Audio Anarchy 6 1/2").Front loaded, Tapped Horn, Vented, and Unhorn. You guys get to listen to them all and judge for yourselves what is what.

4. Pierre (PierreQuiRoule)---Sat. & Sun. ---Bringing amps this time. What types will be a surprise. I'll pass on measurements this time. I rather get in the mood for listening and enjoying good company :).

5. Dave (DDF)---Sat. & Sun.--- Look for the guy with bells on. Demo: passive pre-amp (a bit different than the usual) if there's time. A simple 2 way, if there's time. Mark and I have been discussing speaker measurement gear off-line.

6. Tony (Tony D)---I would like to attend also, $10 isn't a problem unfortunately I don't have anything to demo yet. Sorry guys.

7. Normand (normand)---I am new to this group but very curious about what is going on. I would like very much to attend.

8. John (bearberry)---Sat. & Sun.--- I hope to have ready some small speakers for use with a PC: Nano Neos, New Horizons, Zaph's project 18, and MicroFonken. Would like to make it for measurement session Saturday. And would like to hear any <$150 USB DACs anyone might have.

9. Ron (ronu9400)---Sat. & Sun.---I plan to be there, and my son might also attend. Shared the link with a couple of audio buddies, so perhaps they'll join us. I've got a Little Dot 1+ amp that is configured for headphones in 32-ohm territory. I also have some old AKG 240 sextette headphones, but no dedicated amp for them...they're around 600-ohms, if memory serves me correctly.

10. ? (MrSlim)---Sat. & Sun.---There are a few things I can bring (AMB Gamma 2 DAC, Headphonia CableDac, Cavalli CTH head amp, CK2III Head amp and a Panda Class A head amp (if I get the last two built over the christmas break), Senn HD580, AKG K601, and maybe a Salas DCB1. Unless someone has already identified a projector, I have one that I can bring, as long as my son isn't planning on using it..

11. Tyler (Redshift187)---I'll bring my LM3886 DC coupled amp and if it's finished a simple TDA1541/CS8412 NOS DAC.

12. Owen (opc)---Sat. & Sun.---I'll be there for sure. I can drag along the following:

2. Firstwatt F5

I can also do a quick 30 minute presentation on SMPS design, and maybe a little class D amplifier design as well.

13. John (multisync)---I will bring a couple of things to give away and a lme49811 based power amp.(if I can stop modifying it)[/QUOTE]

14. Adam (Binary110)---I'll be there again. I'm gonna bring a dayton ma1240 (12 channel amplifier) and a behringer DCX2496. I wish someone had an Emotiva UMC-1 to throw into that mix so that i could see/use/hear one in the real world.

15. Dave (DCtoDaylight)---Sat.---I'm going to try and make it over to meet people on Saturday.[/QUOTE]

I’m really looking forward to this get-together. I think that I’ve convinced my friend, Wolfgang, to attend both days. You may remember he was briefly at our last listening session. I’d say that his main interest is vintage (Pioneer SS), and he’s not likely bringing anything.

As of last night, my son (Gabriel) thought he might be able to attend Sunday. He’s in Grade 12 high-school & they’re just doing summatives & prepping for next week’s exams, so still a bit uncertain. Like him to attend because he’s taking woodworking next term, and wants to build speakers and/or a sub. He’s done some woodworking, but no speakerbuilding, so I think that listening to Mark’s herd + your building experience suggestions would be helpful.

Gabriel’s school project has to be more complex than sticking a driver in a box, but I don’t want to make it too complex or too big. So I’m thinking of having him use some old Radio Shack 4” full-range drivers that I have (designed for auto use, but I do not think they are the “Fostex 103 clone” because mine have a pleated paper surround & approx 6” frame diameter). I don’t have T-S parameters, but I thought maybe he could try using these drivers in something like a Solo 103 or miniOnken box (i.e. probably a monitor-size box) …I’m mentioning this because I’ll bring them along for viewing & maybe you’ll have some alternative suggestions.

Thanks, Ron

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Same here... Sunday might be best, so I don't think there will be a need for the projector on Saturday.

Those guys will have their hands full trying to get measurements done in such a small window. When measurement gear goes mobile, it has a tendency to stop working the way you want it to!

Cheers,
Owen

Ok, Well, I'll throw it in my car for Saturday afternoon anyway, just in case..
My Par-Metal Chassis order just arrived in St Laurent QC customs, so it's very unlikely I'll have them in time to case up the panda headphone amp and the DCB1. What's the consensus on demo'ing "breadboarded" systems?

One day to go!

Mr Slim - I have no problem with breadboarded systems. Might learn more about the circuit layout that way.

Some administrative details:

1. I will bring nametags;

2. Mark has a box of goodies from Creative Sound Solutions to give away in a draw (and there are some nice drivers!!!). If anyone else has stuff they don't want (drivers, components, CDs, DVDs, whatever) bring them and we'll add to the loot. Format will be a draw table - your name is drawn, you get to pick from what is there.

3. Remember to bring your favourite tracks to listen to - CD is preferred format.

4. To help with scheduling, please modify your entry in ripcards list with what you are now sure you will bring - that will help in putting together a schedule. Here is my update:

"8. John (bearberry)---Sat. & Sun.--- No speakers done but will bring ND105-4 drivers to test (for Nano Neos, New Horizons)"

Thanks!

if there is time on Saturday I will bring one or two Electro Voice Dh1506 22" and 24" horns that were given to me. They will be hopefully made into party speakers later. They are supposed to be constant directivity horns with a controlled 6db per octave drop above 2000hz or so from what I can gather from info on the web. The Lm49810 power amp has been hooked up to my living room speakers all week and it hasn't self destructed yet or destroyed the speakers so I will bring it on Sunday. I will be bringing 4 old 15volt 8 amp regulators to give away(no transformers just the boards and heat sinks.

One More Sleep!

If anybody has SACD, DVD-Audio or DTS discs they want to bring, I've added a player to my list that'll play them. I'll bring along my RBR speakers again.

I'll contribute a complete LNIB 5.1 commercial (Yamaha) speaker system for the draw table. Would make a good second room setup or starter set.

Which day should we do the draw? I'm thinking the draw itself should be done on Sunday but with each person getting a ballot no matter which day they are able to attend. If they are not present at draw time we'll just have to make arrangement to get them their prize. Let me know what you think.

I can take care of the balloting and also collect for the hall rental during the event. I will bring a coffee maker and supplies for java fixes.

Hope the heat works well in the hall. Going to be nippy this weekend.

Please see post #102 for more details of the Winter Ottawa DIY Meet

The List (updated 19/1/11)

Would like to measure sub-woofer. Oppo DV-981HD universal player so we can play CDs, SACDs, DVD-Audio, and DTS discs. I'll also bring my RBRs again.

2. Gabriel (gabdx)---Sun.---I will demo a tda1541 dac from analogmetric, I will need a transport/amp/ speakers for that.

8. John (bearberry)---Sat. & Sun.--- No speakers done but will bring ND105-4 drivers to test (for Nano Neos, New Horizons)" and would like to hear any <$150 USB DACs anyone might have.

10. John D. (MrSlim)---Sat. & Sun.---There are a few things I can bring (AMB Gamma 2 DAC, Headphonia CableDac, Cavalli CTH head amp, CK2III Head amp and a Panda Class A head amp (if I get the last two built over the christmas break), Senn HD580, AKG K601, and maybe a Salas DCB1. Unless someone has already identified a projector, I have one that I can bring, as long as my son isn't planning on using it..

2. Firstwatt F5

15. Dave (DCtoDaylight)---Sat.---I'm going to try and make it over to meet people on Saturday.

I'll be there sunday with my amp, the DAC is not ready but it looks like Gabriel has a similar one.

Which day should we do the draw? I'm thinking the draw itself should be done on Sunday but with each person getting a ballot no matter which day they are able to attend. If they are not present at draw time we'll just have to make arrangement to get them their prize. Let me know what you think.

I agree with this.

Hope the heat works well in the hall. Going to be nippy this weekend.

Can't we heat it with Owen's F5?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
All - I picked up the key, paperwork is done, and we are good to go :).

John - Yes, I think there is a kettle at the centre. Hot beverages would be great!

Rick - What I will bring: An F4 and an F5. I was able to finish them both this week. Now... there is a little hum in the F5, and advice would be welcome on how to get rid of it. Will bring it on Saturday to show the wise men... like Owen and others. Other than this hum thing, both amps run and sound great :D.

Looking forward to seeing you all very shortly.

Pierre

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Good morning all

So today is the day ! I'll be there at 11, and bring a camera so we can document the event like we did last time.

For your comfort, you should bring a pair of slippers or shoes, as well as a warm sweater - just in case it is cold in there - and your mug for coffee or tea.

Many thanks to all who helped prepare this meeting.

Pierre

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who brought out their equipment on the coldest day of the year (so far).

There was some interest in the Jordi Savall disk that I brought.
This has 15 versions of La Folia on it,
which was a Portuguese dance that numerous Baroque composers
set a theme and variations to

Altra Follie
AliaVox AV9844

However, if you were considering buying only one Jordi Savall disk, its the Vivaldi disk I would recommend.

Antonio Vivaldi
La Viola da gamba in Concerto
Le Concert des Nations - Jordi Savall
AliaVox AV 9835

For an SACD / CD hydrid this is an excellent performance and recording

Correlli / Telemann / Rameau
Le Concert Spiritual
Jordi Savall
AliaVox AVSA 9877

If you enjoy Cello or Viola de Gamba, then i would recommend this disk

Abel, Bach, Marais, Sainte-Colombe
Les Voix Humaines
Jordi Savall
AliaVox 9803

I would advise causion in buying many of Jordi Savall's other disks,
only because the music section can get a bit academic.

Attachments

• img_0107.jpg
    img_0107.jpg
    677.7 KB · Views: 232
Well did we have a blast or what!

This has to be one of the greatest concentrations of knowhow and enthusiasm for audio in this part of Canada.

Great turnout this time. Thanks to a great deal of work by many people. John and Rick and Pierre.

We had really good sound, some great measurements with Dave.

Some truly one of a kind equipment as well.

Has to be seen to be believed.

As usual I'm to busy to take many pictures but I do have a few.

So here goes:

Attachments

• Copy of 2011-01-23 10.37.39.jpg
    Copy of 2011-01-23 10.37.39.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Copy of 2011-01-23 12.19.47.jpg
    Copy of 2011-01-23 12.19.47.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 228
  • Copy of 2011-01-23 12.22.24.jpg
    Copy of 2011-01-23 12.22.24.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 229
  • Copy of 2011-01-23 12.24.47.jpg
    Copy of 2011-01-23 12.24.47.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 226
  • Copy of 2011-01-23 14.01.17.jpg
    Copy of 2011-01-23 14.01.17.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Copy of 2011-01-23 14.20.32.jpg
    Copy of 2011-01-23 14.20.32.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Copy of 2011-01-23 15.08.53.jpg
    Copy of 2011-01-23 15.08.53.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 111
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.