Windows XP tweak

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jb74 said:
Netlist -

Its interesting to experiment.

You said earlier:
In Vista, this problem is fixed.

Maybe Vista has a same named file to look into ?

Some substitutes will work - for instance, Deltree from 98 will
work within Xp (at a Command Prompt)

The common controls are in windows shared libraries.... Not generally the kind of thing you can move between operating system

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Andrew,
I wished Firefox would do the trick here. I'm glad it works for you but it's hard to believe that Firefox would alter comdlg32.dll or replace it with a 'Firefox version'. :)

Looking at what MultiEnhancer does, it appears that only comdlg32.dll is responsible, located in \system32 and in \system32\dllcache.

I agree with Dan, but I'll definitely try to replace the Dutch dll with the English version. Or, if someone knows of a good dll editor, I can diy in the heart of the system file.

/Hugo

AndrewT -

Some who have viewed this thread (myself for one) thought that
the solution wanted was when using explorer (explorer.exe)

To see the real subject problem, right-click on your desktop and create a new text document. (New Text Document.txt)

Open that blank text document, then click on file>open at the top left of that text document window.

A new window opens with the word "OPEN" at its top left -
if your Xp works like mine, the view in that new window will be
in the "List" format. (the default format courtesy of MS)

There is a little box at the top right of that new window where the
format can be changed manually - but only AFTER that window has
been opened each time.

Netlist said:
it's hard to believe that Firefox would alter comdlg32.dll or replace it with a 'Firefox version'. :)

Not sure about Firefox in this instance but replacing system files for added functionality is standard fare in windows. It is also one of windows greatest flaws, and the reason the automatic system file checker came to be.

Tried it and stopped. The files have a Visual C runtime procedure dependency. The dependency tree may go further. I don't have the time right now.

Whoever may try it, get the latest msvcrt.dll and have an alternate method of file system access, as the UI is dependent on the common dialog files and they will take out safe mode.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Finally, FileBox eXtender did it. (And much more)
I already had most of the comdlg32 file rewritten and replaced, to no avail.
Despite the high memory usage, FileBox seems to be a very versatile piece of software.

Thanks a bunch to everyone.

/Hugo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.