Windows 7 & 8 App to Block W10 Update

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Never 10 is an easy to use utility which gives users control over whether their Windows 7 or 8.1 will upgrade itself to Windows 10.

The name “Never 10” is a bit of an overstatement, since this utility may also be used to easily re-enable Windows operating system automatic upgrading. But the primary reason for using this is to disable Windows' pestering insistence upon upgrading Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10.

FREE

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Only released on Mar 30 2016 & already it has had a Total of 96,394 downloads. WOW ! It just shows how many people so far don't want to be nagged/forced to go to W10 :p

Steve Gibson's Never10 vs. Josh Mayfield's GWX Control Panel

Steve Gibson's Never10 vs. Josh Mayfield's GWX Control Panel | InfoWorld

Just re- install W7 (SP1) , get any update up to KB281xxx.
NO update after that has any security enhancements.

ALL updates after that are M$ spyware (KB300xxx +).
Remove these - https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/3iaqti/remove_these_windows_78_kb_updates_to_stop/
To lock W7 in , run "RemoveWAT" , disable windows update and BITS in
services (also in group policy).

Leaving the present updates that Gibson's "Never 10" blocks will allow M$
to just produce a workaround at a future date.
Unless you want to have 10 , consider any communication with M$ as a
malware attack - PERIOD.

Edit - just 2 reg keys (never 10) ... all MS has to do is enable them with a future
"sneaky" update.

OS

Last edited:
No, leave it there as I make money putting Win7 back on for people that foolishly install Win10 upgrade and find it is not compatible with their 3year old machine.

win10 = W7.

As long as you have 4 gig memory.

4 year old quad core propus AMD + GT210 nvidia run 10 all the way.
7's aero actually take up more memory on the 210.

10 will easily even install and run on even a single core (AMD 4000+) , as
long as the video is robust.

PS - certain cheap new printers and other Chinese junk might have problems.

OS

That's the most comprehensive KBxxxxx update list I've seen.

That basically brings a user back to my pre - 2013 win7.

And it -
it will change your Windows Update settings to 'check/notify but do not download/install'.

This is good , but M$ never had any important security bug update after 2013.
So what is the purpose of even having update run at all ? disable it -
M$ might still try to sneak a new one in or some other nefarious trick.
M$ update is spyware in itself.

OS

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've been running W10 for about 2 months now and I must say I am very happy (and impressed) with it.

My internet page loading etc is really fast. I've had no problems. All my legacy software runs without hiccups (CircuitMaker 2000, LTspice, google apps)

Which brings me to my iPad (and my wife's). They are slow, cranky and totally disappointing - even when there's just one of us on the network. I don't buy that the problem is they are 3 year old devices - I have a 4 year old laptop now on W10 and its just as good as my desktop - which I bought in 2012 by the way.

So, I don't buy all this crap that W10 is no good. Its just resistance to change. Period. Same story as the old fart brigade that think anything with more than 3 legs can't sound good. Get with the program guys.

Let me not get started on my apple MAC where the screen goes blank every 20 minutes or so. I paid about 2000 USD for it - gift for my wife. My son will be collecting it from us in a few weeks.

Score one for MS - thank you Sir!

:D

I will seriously look at a Surface Pro for my next tablet.

Last edited:
So, I don't buy all this crap that W10 is no good. Its just resistance to change. Period. Same story as the old fart brigade that think anything with more than 3 legs can't sound good. Get with the program guys.

Huh ? There is no change , except for the worse. :(
10 has a child- like GUI , Win95 icons , and Draconian software restrictions.
Can't even use that stupid Cortana to search firefox , they just railroaded us
to use their crippled edge and other useless built in "fluff".
The whole OS is built around the premise that M$ knows what is best for us ,
and the always on update makes sure that we do not own this OS.
If you don't mind the fact that all your files are always monitored and
M$ can change (or delete) anything they want , you deserve W10.

I monitored a W10 install .... left the unit to run - it ALWAYS communicates.
My 7 has NO "extracurricular" IP activity.
A bloody piece of OS "spyware".
With 10 installed , concurrent SATA HDD transfers were nowhere as robust as 7's.
The reason why W10 might be better for some is that it's driver store and
microsoft's generic driver base is more advanced.
A new W10 installation might have the only properly installed driver base
that most customers have had to date.

For those of us who know what hardware is , W7 with the right drivers
totally blows 10 away.

C'mon - ad based live tiles and embedded ad based games - is this
"advancement" or change ? Y'all can have it.

(PS) Linux is next after W7 2020 lifecycle.

OS

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I am afraid cloud based OS (W10 is but one example) is where it's all headed. Your value as a user to M$ is not just in your purchase of the original s/ware or upgrade. How and when you use the software provides invaluable user information that's can be sold to other vendors, refine future product offerings and to pitch other products to you.

This BTW is a big discussion point in home automation (IoT). Example: You snore? Your iPhone or Android knows and when you wake up in the morning you are getting sleep apnea and snoring medications pitched at you on website banner adverts.

Welcome to 1984 brother . . . We are under full surveillance by the major corps with the full backing of every single governing get on the planet.

Last edited:
I am afraid cloud based OS (W10 is but one example) is where it's all headed. Your value as a user to M$ is not just in your purchase of the original s/ware or upgrade. How and when you use the software provides invaluable user information that's can be sold to other vendors, refine future product offerings and to pitch other products to you.

This BTW is a big discussion point in home automation (IoT). Example: You snore? Your iPhone or Android knows and when you wake up in the morning you are getting sleep apnea and snoring medications pitched at you on website banner adverts.

Welcome to 1984 brother . . . We are under full surveillance by the major corps with the full backing of every single governing get on the planet.
No reason at all to just let them get their hands on all your data... ever thought about how mighty it makes them?

If that's the future you want, you'd better now waive all your rights goodbye and give them custody over all your assets ;)

I won't go down without a fight.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
You have no rights to anything in the cloud based digital world I am afraid to say. The California Fruit Company contract is now 47 pages long IIRC. Who the hell knows what's in there. Ditto MS (but I don't know how long that one is), Google, FB etc. The cat is out of the bag.

People throw their hands up in horror about the security services getting personal info - its out there already and global corps have most of it.

And with data mining, they easily put two and two together.

I am on permanent 'sabbatical' (- it took only a week or two of me being on the internet during the week to start getting all sorts of 'retirement/pension ' offers.

Go figure :)

Last edited:
Yes , beware !

Google unveils Trust API plan to end password pain | V3

W10 also has all those added biometric link libraries.

Let's consider this -
Lack pointed out that, as well as being algorithmic, this type of scoring is biometric. "Biometric authentication is a powerful enabler, allowing businesses smart enough to deploy it to significantly increase rates of registration, gaining data and insight about their customers while increasing customer security," he said.
This seem to be the way it will go (soon... 2017+).
I agree with the first part of the quote. The second part "gaining data and insight about their customers" is out of order.
Notice the "security" is after the (gaining) data mining.

W10 already uses TPM for machine ID , add an eyeball scanner ... coupled
with other sensors. Also add the AI powered "trust" of the social aspects (useage metrics).

"Putting 2 and 2 together" will be the least of our worries.
Beyond W7 , I would clear all this tech right out of the house !!!
The "benefits" are not worth it.

OS

My Windows 10 broke for the third time since it came out today.

Strange problem.
Update gets stuck forever.
Powers up with audio on full volume and I cant open audio volume control.
Takes forever to power down.
Using Windows explorer open file dialog boxes just sits there with message "Working on it"
Similar problem opening files from inside a program "Working on it" perpetual message.

So did yet another full clean install of Windows 10 and everything is ok now.
Another half day wasted installing everything.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.