Will this work???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have recently made a pair of Zaph Audio Waveguide's, which i really like .
through the recent months i have acquired other drivers for other projects,.i have a pair of Peerless 830668's 10" drivers which i was going to use for the Tarkus speakers. My question is, if i build the bass cabinets for the Tarkus as to use the Peerless drivers up. would it work with the zaph waveguides???if yes would you change any components in the Tarkus crossover. Or is it just a waste of time..thanks ..

The Peerless 830668 isn't sensitive enough to be easily integrated passively with the Zaph Waveguide TMM. The Zaph design is 90dB and the 830668 is about 85dB after factoring in baffle step compensation.

If you use an active crossover then things become much easier because you can adjust the volume on the woofer amp to compensate for it's lacking sensitivity. Basically you treat it as if adding stereo subwoofers to the system, but you can cross much higher than normal (for a subwoofer) if you stack the TMMs directly on top of the woofer box. I would cross the Peerless 10s to the TMMs at about 200Hz 12dB/octave.

The Tarkus is a 3 way speaker, right ?
So in between the woofer and the tweeter there's the midrange.

If you want to arrange the 10" ( SLS ? ) with the tweeter+WG you are on your own !!! Probably you'd want something a la Seas A26 which is a 10" but can run crossoverless to meet the low end given by the WG.

Now I've looked at Tarkus: it uses a Peerless SDS 6.5" for midrange
( and I really cannot model a crossover schematic with the changements needed to accomodate a tw+WG...probably just lowering the crossover point a little between the mid and the tw )
That SDS or any 6-7" would be a good candidate for experimenting with a WG, whose main point is to make seamless the change of directivity from a big membrane ( the wf) and the little one, the tw.

i have recently made a pair of Zaph Audio Waveguide's, which i really like .
through the recent months i have acquired other drivers for other projects,.i have a pair of Peerless 830668's 10" drivers which i was going to use for the Tarkus speakers. My question is, if i build the bass cabinets for the Tarkus as to use the Peerless drivers up. would it work with the zaph waveguides???if yes would you change any components in the Tarkus crossover. Or is it just a waste of time..thanks ..

yes the mid to tweet Xover would be quite different probably simpler infact Eg lower order on the HPF, *read zaphs waveguide notes.
The system sensitivity is set by the peerless woofer and baffle step so add more padding on the waveguide to match the midrange.

*if I remember correctly and paraphrasing> the raw wavequide tweet has a bump of higher sensitivity in the lower band but it is flattened down nicely with an optimum chosen series cap. So all the new design work would be focused purely at the new mid to tweeter transition point. also maintaining max power excursion at the tweeter to ~105 dB/m.

Last edited:
ok thanks for all your help,will try a bit more padding in waveguides.

uh not that simple , I bolded some points in my answer.
cheap-n-dirty ( from a design time) would be adding a new series cap after the horn tweeters L pad knocking down the horns LF bump in sensitivity. probably the phase wrap/ time delay will be way off.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.