Will these Heat Sinks work???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have always build and run tube amps.....until I saw these. I'd like to build a Pass amp of some sort using these as heatsinks for each of the little black things that attach to the HSs. SOOO, can that work. do the black things need to be attached to the boards or can I run leads out to the sinks on top of the chassis? Here is a link to the details which I don't really understand. I assume I can run the fans at 1/2 voltage to keep the noise down. Now I have to think of an equally cool chassis.

Cooler Master Mars, Hyper UC, Hyper TX, and Others vs. Intel Core 2 Extreme

Attachments

• mars.jpg
    mars.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
What can I say Mcan, I am a sculptor who likes to make my gear look cool but totally missed out on electronics class. The pictures in the link show a, what looks like, a flat solid surface I can mount the LBTs to.

P.S., both sets of grand parents were born in County Cork. I have a lot of family there but never visited. We are planning a trip for next year.

What can I say Mcan, I am a sculptor who likes to make my gear look cool but totally missed out on electronics class. The pictures in the link show a, what looks like, a flat solid surface I can mount the LBTs to.

P.S., both sets of grand parents were born in County Cork. I have a lot of family there but never visited. We are planning a trip for next year.

Problem i see is the base of that cooler has three copper pipes passing through it, and each pipe is hollow and liquid filled so you cant drill a hole into it. If you can work around those it should be fine as a cooler.

An F5 or Ampcamp clone would probably be the best option as it only uses a couple of transistors per channel.

Curious to see some of your tube builds as you clearly think outside of the box. ....pun intended.

That's an awesome amp!! :)

You could make an F5 or an Aleph J, both have 4 output mosfets (the little black things you referred ;) ) each connected to a heatsink in some sort of radial airplane engine or V4 motorcycle engine. Zen Mod's babel fish J might also fit the bill and you might squeeze a bit more power output if you need from his design since it uses "bigger" output devices.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Judging by that awesome preamp I'd say you're not short on fabrication ability. Given that, the extra expense of passive sinks for any class a amplifier is pretty nominal - especially when weighed against the risk of a fan driven cooler failing and leading to burnt speaker drivers. Best to give yourself a better palette to paint with.

just sayin....

Last edited:
This is what I have in mind. I like the copper flower coolers for an artistic POV. The chassis is an inverted Nike swoosh and will be as wide as needed and maybe 6 to 8 inches deep. Make from steel plate and either left to rust or a blacking patina. The PTX will be wrapped in a copper, brass, or bronze spaceship looking affair.

Attachments

• ampcamp.png
    ampcamp.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 112
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I'd definitely go for an F5, that way you only need 4 of those heatsinks to cool your little black things.
Each one of those is designed to handle at least a 95W CPU some are good enough for the 200W overclocked monsters.
Those flower shaped ones I think are good for the 65W low power CPU's.
Be careful not to put a screw into the heatpipes.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.