Will the Tangband W8-1772 work in a Sachiko double horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Scott, you are 100% right - AJ Horn expects one continuous expansion / section and then you choose parabolic, conical, expo, hypex, octo-hyperbolic, geometric or tractrix. (It can do non-horns as well, by treating them as variations on a FLH/BLH.)

Attachments

• ajhorn.gif
    ajhorn.gif
    67.2 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
yeah - for BIB, AJ-horn using "parabolic", appropriate driver position and very small starting area replicated what I've seen with MJK's sheets. Dunno if it can do a so-called tapped horn but Hornresp can handle a lot of those situations. It would be interesting to see real-world measurements of a lot of horns. I have a BK20 which measures rather roughly outdoors - indoors with a cheap Sammi speaker in a certain (accidental) position its response looked very smooth. RCA-Fan used AJ-horn to illustrate his K (or Fulmer slot) blh. I don't know how he arrived at the input but his graphs were good with Fostex. When I use his input with a known 1772, response looked pretty poor. FWIW I'm having fun with 1772 in the early 12" Karlson - wish TB would make a 10-12" version :^)

It can, from the POV that a BIB is a tapped horn; the DSL style boxes are what might be termed as 'double tapped' viz. tapped into the horn at two separate locations rather than one.

It's interesting that it's the parabolic function in AJ that's most effective, as the BIB has a conical expansion; just proves how different software all have their idiosyncracies.

En only has 53% of the linear volume displancement of the driver it replaced, so IMO it requires handling differently if you want to get the best from it.

in the german hifi-forum somebody wrote, that the owner of the fullrange speaker store "spectrumaudio.de", got a message from fostex. fostex said that the xmax of the new 206En (0,8mm) is the same like in the old one. the old specs (1,5mm) was wrong. there a no changes exept the new diaphragm material...

Tang Band in Sachiko

The Tang Band should work fine- I have heard from people that the sound great.

However, the Sachiko was designed for the Fostex FE206- why not use that driver?

Probably for a little money over the Tang Band you can get a Fostex FE206ES-R. I have that driver in my Sachiko, and it sounds great.

Karl

Scottmoose, how do the alpairs sound better to you ? You can send a personal message if you want.

I had a hard choice to make between the TB w8-1772, the w8-1808, and the alpair 12s but ultimately bought the 12s. I've never been a fan of whizzers (mechanics, phase, tec). I know it would be an interesting shootout between the 2 (or 3) eventhough there is the larger cone area of the tang bands compared to the 12.

Norman

Scott, how do the alpairs sound better to you ? You can send a personal message if you want.

No need. I don't personally like some (not all) of the engineering solutions on the 8in TB drivers; the large whizzer isn't to my taste for the reasons you mention & the mids & HF suffer for it to my ears. I'm not a fan of neodymium motors either, especially the kind with multiple small magnets. To each their own though; AFAIK, most people who've heard the TB units love them, so I know I'm in the minority. I'd still rather have one of the Fostex 8in units though, or the slightly smaller Alpair 12, which has a much more linear midband & gets the HF sans any mechanical XOs or additional cones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.