Will a USB-DAC fix my problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a question that may sound a little stupid. I have searched and tried to find an answer already but nothing ever say's what a DAC really does in relation to the source.

I have a very cheap DVD player and it sounds so much better than I-Tunes on a PowerBook G4. Will bulding a USB-DAC fix this? When I listen from the computer it sounds like the speakers are in another room no matter how loud I turn them up, from my very cheap DVD player everything is much better. My computer is much more convenient, hence the desire to use it instead of the DVD player.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Ed Robinson

no way to guarantee anything, but for the cost of shipping, or a nice long car ride,( i.e. Kingston, WA) you could contact Mike at AudioMagus to arrange for a trial of one of his USB DACs

starting from:

http://www.audio-magus.com/PC_Digital_Transport_II_p/pctrans.htm

heck, for a few extra bucks than many budget DACs, you can get a quite decent sounding USB DAC and a class-T amp

http://www.audio-magus.com/product_p/krt20u.htm

I have a T20-U myself (for video), and the last time this little money bought me this much quality was an NAD3020, and that was well over 25yrs ago

germpod said:
I have a question that may sound a little stupid. I have searched and tried to find an answer already but nothing ever say's what a DAC really does in relation to the source.

I have a very cheap DVD player and it sounds so much better than I-Tunes on a PowerBook G4. Will bulding a USB-DAC fix this? When I listen from the computer it sounds like the speakers are in another room no matter how loud I turn them up, from my very cheap DVD player everything is much better. My computer is much more convenient, hence the desire to use it instead of the DVD player.

Ed Robinson

Hi Ed Robinson
Take a look in the Texas Instruments site for the PCM2900-PCM2902 16bit/48Ks stereo audio codecs with ready USB interface (i have tried and realy when connected to PC it recognized as audio codec device without the need to instal extra software) which incorporate except the ADCs also DACs providing thus also a stereo analog output. Its costs it is arround 10Euros and with few external parts (caps & resistors) it is ready to play. The only drawback it is its SSOP package and you must have the possibility to solder it in the PCB.

Fotios

germpod said:

Ed Robinson

if you are looking for a usb Dac, i think this is a good one here:-

http://www.diyparadise.com/usbmonica.html

after i got it i never stop listening to pc music

germpod said:
My friend who build my gainclone can also build a DAC from a kit no problem. I am mostly interested in if my problem is what DAC's are built for, and what the benfits of a DAC are. Driving to Kingston and hearing first hand would be nice.

Just so we are on the same page, the benefits of a DAC are conversion from digital to analog ;)

You already have a DAC in your machine. What you are hearing is a low quality DAC in a really noisy RF environment (right next to a high speed CPU and running off the same power supply) through a very low quality audio connector. What you are asking is whether a high quality, external DAC will improve the sound.

It'd be hard for it not to!

Just so we are on the same page, the benefits of a DAC are conversion from digital to analog

You already have a DAC in your machine. What you are hearing is a low quality DAC in a really noisy RF environment (right next to a high speed CPU and running off the same power supply) through a very low quality audio connector. What you are asking is whether a high quality, external DAC will improve the sound.

It'd be hard for it not to!

Thanks for the response. I feel better about it now. That is exactly what I was asking, if a high quality DAC would make much difference from the DAC in the computer. I did not even think abou there being one in there already, from your response things make a bit more sense to me now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.