Wifi remote controller for the Behringer Ultradrive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello! I hope this is the right subforum for this topic.

I have been recently prototyping a wifi remote controller for the Behringer Ultradrive DCX2496. The original PC software is only available for Windows and requires a RS232 serial port. Serial ports are not found in most new laptops. The parts for this project cost around the same as you would pay for a cheap usb to serial port adapter. Any device with a wifi and a browser can be used as the controller.

dEzK3mx.png

The user interface is a browser based html application. You can try out a demo of the control panel here: DCX2496 Remote. The page is not connected to a real device so feel free to play around. The settings will no be persisted or synced. To edit the settings you need to unlock the controls first.

When connected to a real device the changes are synced both ways. That means changes made directly to the Ultradrive are also synced back to the browser app. You can also keep multiple browser sessions open and updates will appear in all of them. The performance may be a bit poor on older mobile devices because the user interface is huge. Currently it contains over 20 000 html elements.

Watch this short demo video to see it in action:YouTube

The project is built on top of a cheap microcontroller (ESP32). The device communicates with DCX2496 using the RS232 port and acts as wifi access point and a web server. It can be also made available in an existing wifi network but currently there is no access control other than the wifi access point password. The only external requirement is the 5V power source.

I just ordered the first prototype batch of the circuit boards for one of the ESP32 development boards. They should arrive before the end of next week.

kvIpusS.png

The whole project is released under the MIT licence so you can do pretty much whatever you want with it. All ideas, feature requests and code contributions are welcome. The source code for the project and some additional info can be found here: github.com/lasselukkari/DuinoDCX. The repository also includes the latest build that you can upload using the Arduino IDE.

Please understand that it's an early prototype and a hobby project. There is also no official support. I have not actually used it in a live situation and in total it has been so far tested with 3 devices that all have the v1.17 firmware. It has not been tested with the latest revision of the DCX2496. There is most likely still bugs in the code too and many things could be improved.

Thanks to my friend Ilkka Huhtakallio for contributing the code for the transfer functions. Without him there would not be any data for those pretty graphs.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.