Why would anyone want 8ohms?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Loudspeaker impedance

Much of this post is correct - some not.

4 ohms originally did come from cars where 12 volts was the voltage limit and lower impedance made for more SPL. Bose even went down to fractional ohms.

At home where volts is plentiful, that issue is not so clear.

Amps that work to lower loads are harder to design and tend to cost more - implies higher imp speakers make the amps cost less.

AND, what I have not seen discussed here is that the crossover parts get smaller and less costly at the higher impedances - again implies higher imps are prefered.

BUT the higher imps means less power, which does not necessarily mean less SPL - depends on efficiency.

I make my speakers in 16 ohms to lower their crossover parts cost - which is comparable to the drivers them selves and to make them work more reliably with lower cost amps. SPL - at 16 ohms in my home theater they will still blow your head off - so what do I need with more power?

There is not one absolute answer as is true for just about every question in audio. Each application is a different case and each case is a different issue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.