why there are no commercial Gainclone amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A lot of active speakers would seem to be using chip amps of some description. (If 25 + 25 W fit the bill for a 2-way speaker, a chip amp is perfect.) Sometimes STKs (hybrids) even, as sighted in some Genelecs.

The big manufacturers usually have the resources for developing their own discrete power amps, even in relatively low-end models. Hybrids, a common sight in entry-level AVRs a decade ago, seem to be quite rare these days. Even a lot of basic models will output at least 2x 100 W / 4 ohms (sometimes up to 2x 135-140 W), which is not typically within the reach of chip amps.

You could just pull out the passive filters and connect the drivers to the amps.
I bet it would sound better.
I'm sorry but I can not agree with you on this one.
The design of a speaker is made with combining the speakers, casing, filtering, room etc.

Many times designers made "so called" perfect theoretical designs they found out it did not sound well.

If you build an amplifier yourself it will always be a fraction of the price it will cost buying one.

To produce a CD costs maybe 15 cents, to buy one will probably cost 10000% of that.

I build my amp with P. Daniels design, only on parts I spend around 200 euro, in a commercial amp this would be a selling price of around at least 1000 euro

Last edited:
When you have a single driver connected to a single amp controlled by a DSP you can program every part of the filter, you can measure it and adapt it. Its not a theoretical filter its a real filter with almost no limits. If you want to accomplish some phase alignment or a dip a in the frequency response its all possible. This is not the future its available already.
Some of these systems cost 100k plus.
If you don't want to spend that much check out Hypex.nl

Last edited:
You could just pull out the passive filters and connect the drivers to the amps.
I bet it would sound better.

In theory yes.. Would I want to butcher my $3000+ Proac speakers for the sake of DIY? I guess not.

I would trust Proac to design a far better sounding Passive Crossover than my very own Home Brew Active Crossover. I dont think the crossover alone is what makes the sound, but a careful selection of enclosure, drives, internal volume and LOTS of tuning etc etc... I am not a speaker designer and not very good at DIY :)

The gainclones are a cheap and reasonable amplifier. Easy to DIY and you get reasonable results.

They are not stunning and they are easily surpassed with discrete designs. BUT, the discrete designs are more difficult to implement and more costly to build.

If you want to venture into the DIY world with an easy build that will provide good results then go gainclone.

In theory yes.. Would I want to butcher my $3000+ Proac speakers for the sake of DIY? I guess not.

I would trust Proac to design a far better sounding Passive Crossover than my very own Home Brew Active Crossover. I dont think the crossover alone is what makes the sound, but a careful selection of enclosure, drives, internal volume and LOTS of tuning etc etc... I am not a speaker designer and not very good at DIY :)

I did not mean an active crossover but a DSP system.
Welcome to the world of miniDSP | MiniDSP
WAF-Audio
Hypex Electronics BV - DLCP

Hi Joerytech,

There is never only one answer, some people still listen to vinyl and that is fine.

Like all new technology it takes time, But I think DSP is used more than you think. This is the same technology as used in AV equipment. I don't know what you would want to do that cant be done with a DSP. Its more precise and more versatile than active or passive.

Here is a very nice one. EX PHILIPS designers, Dutch build (Eindhoven).

http://www.grimmaudio.com/site/assets/files/1079/manual_ls1_en.pdf

Hi Joerytech,

There is never only one answer, some people still listen to vinyl and that is fine.

Like all new technology it takes time, But I think DSP is used more than you think. This is the same technology as used in AV equipment. I don't know what you would want to do that cant be done with a DSP. Its more precise and more versatile than active or passive.

Here is a very nice one. EX PHILIPS designers, Dutch build (Eindhoven).

http://www.grimmaudio.com/site/assets/files/1079/manual_ls1_en.pdf

From your pdf link
"Keep in mind that one always hears the loudspeaker plus its acoustic environment."

Isn't this the truth! Of course it matters to get a good amp and speakers to start with but listening is subjective. I'm a fan of testing and oscilloscopes but ultimately the venue where the music is played has a huge effect on my enjoyment. I have a room with no furniture in it where I test all my amps before deployment. The slight echo and reverberation I get in the room isn't there in the original source and would come out as distortion in any testing but it sounds gawd awful good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.