Why the MUR860 diode?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It was Peter Daniel who first suggested the MUR860 after 'listening' to other diodes in his GC's.

I used it based on PD's recomendation and the sound of my GC's has always been so good that I am loathe to change the 'recipe'. ;)

I dare say there are amny other diodes that will do as good a job or even a ready built rectifier bridge.

MUR860 came up by accident; I just had some samples on my shelf and didn't think twice about using it in my first GC amp. It was at the time when I didn't believe much that diodes affect the sound.

Later, I did some comparisons, but at the time didn't test MUR860. The one that I liked the most was MUR1520 and I used it in the second amp. I took the amps for some listening comparisons and for some reason the second amp didn't sound as good as the first one, although they were identical. Eventually, we checked PS and we found out that the first one had the infamous MUR860 installed. So far I didn't come across a better sounding diode. I use it in a preamp as well and it sounds very good. I also use MUR860 in a DAC supply and MSR860 in receiver supply. It's been suggested that MSR should sound even better, but after some tries I found it to sound too bright, it is better in digital circuits though.

It's been reported that original GainCard is using FE5D diodes. I didn't have the chance to evaluate them, but maybe someone else would?

The sun sets on ON's MUR860?

I was speaking yesterday to a tech at Arrow Components about the MUR860 from ON Semi. He tells me that it is all but obsolete, and is superceded (or so it is recommended) by MUR880E. Anyone else heard about this?

Now, a couple of questions. I am about to order a handful of diodes for future comparisons in a GC. I understand that Peter liked the Motorola MURs. Are they still available? I have yet to ask Farnell, from whom I am getting a lot of my stuff.

And Carlos likes the MBR16100. Has anyone tried the MBR10100, or compared them? I have some coming from ON Semi.
:scratch2:

It may not be news to some, but I was told today by a Farnell tech that both ON Semi and Motorola MUR860s are from the same source. Farnell have them in stock also.

I've ordered from ON a handful of samples, several types of rectifier diodes; just waiting now on delivery. :D

Actually, the original MUR860 that I tried were from Motorola. But I couldn't source them in large quantity from Motorola, so I settled on OnSemi. It is indeed probably the same part, as it sounds very similar (maybe even better) and looks almost the same.

I alsoo tried MUR860 from Fairchild (available through D-K) and was disappointed with a sound. It sounded much harsher and I wouldn't use it.

I see the mu860 is used by a lot of "pro" GC builders.
Unfortunatly thet are not availble from elfa.se, where i'm ordering the rest of my parts. however the mur820 is.

are there any big differences from the 860?
i altso am thinking about the mur1520, 1620CTr 2020CT
the last two are dubblediods.

regards
marius

The Schottky SB560s are excellent at low PSU voltages if you add a bleeder across the secondaries to prevent transformer ringing. I tried MUR860-types (never MUR 860 itself), but the Schottkys sounded better to me. Worst in GC application were some FRED diodes, which admittedly sound better at higher voltages.
Also, the FE5s in the original Humpty are well chosen ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.