Why the exaggerated bass?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's also worth mentioning that when driving along the rumble from the engine and the road does tend to drown out the bass. What sounded great when going nowhere sounds like the deep bass vanished when you get moving. You do need to hit the bass boost button when moving to hear what you could hear at stationary.

This doesn't explain massively exaggerated bass but does provide something of an explanation for the start of the trend.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Indeed, car repair shops are likely enjoying the added business due to drivers not hearing subtle engine noises that mean trouble.
You can't always rely on dashboard lights to warn you.

"Honey, wait!........ is that a bass drum, or the pistons banging the roof of the engine compartment?"

do you ever miss that Scirocco?

I missed my 1980. In fact I had to use my buddy's shoulder to steady my aim so I didn't miss it again. No point in wasting bullets I say.

Have any of you had the pleasure of dealing with the 'mechanical' fuel injection system on those babies? If not, I strongly recommend it. Suddenly, your wife's nagging seems like love in comparison. That was a nasty bit of kit.

Anyway, I did put a Blaupunkt Tucson, the come along low watt amp and a box with a couple 8" FR drivers in it. That's all that car deserved.

Rant hat off, back to exaggerated bass. I am a PA guy after all. :)

Last edited:
It kinda faded away; I cant remember what happened to it nor the components. I remember getting an Olds Cutlass afterward with a 350, upon overhearing a conversation in the lab where a tech was saying "32k miles, old lady driven to the grocer". It was true!

@geraldfryjr - I love it when people post pictures of themselves, their stuff and their past. A glimpse into another's world. You playin' the red bass could have been me, after a double-take!

I like how the Tesla Coil often shows up in freddi's pics...

Thanks !!! :)
I really need to make one of those pic's my avatar, those pics were back in the day when I had my recording studio we built in 1994 and operational in Naples Fla.
We converted our whole house into a recording studio!! :)

The one of me playing the bass was at my newly just built house, since then I have moved back to Michigan.

I still have most all of my stuff but my marshall Valvestate 8100 was stolen and I have yet to replace it.
I loved that thing!!

The Stage shot was from a project I did for a friend up here in Napoleon and we turned out a few really good tunes on that project, sadly the band fell apart before it got finished but we got a few good tunes in the can.

We called ourselves Woodshed Studios and I still use that name.
Our house band was Powerhouse Band and Ray Nesbit was our house engineer when I wasn't able to be home to run the thing.

They practiced at our place nearly every day and they went on to do huge corporate gigs for the likes of our president Donald J. Trump and Rachel Ray and many more big wigs, you can find them on the net, just look them up they are very impressive for what they do.

A very talented group indeed !!! :)

We worked with a small handful of some famous people and some not.

Great times indeed working with some very talent groups of people, I will cherish those times forever !!

The very First band I recorded was for a friend named Joe Basak, he now does big sound for many of concerts held in Fort Meyer and sometimes i gets called out on the road to other place around the country as well Great guy with a Great Ear for sound, You may have heard of him and the rest of the crew. :)

Cheers !!!

:cheers:

jer :)

Last edited:
I missed my 1980. In fact I had to use my buddy's shoulder to steady my aim so I didn't miss it again. No point in wasting bullets I say.

Have any of you had the pleasure of dealing with the 'mechanical' fuel injection system on those babies? If not, I strongly recommend it. Suddenly, your wife's nagging seems like love in comparison. That was a nasty bit of kit.

Anyway, I did put a Blaupunkt Tucson, the come along low watt amp and a box with a couple 8" FR drivers in it. That's all that car deserved.

Rant hat off, back to exaggerated bass. I am a PA guy after all. :)

:ROFL: No, not really. My brother had a '78 Rabbit, I do remember coaxing a fuel pump back to life on the side of I-10 on our way to Panama City, FL. We managed to get it to a parts store a couple hours further down the road and swapped it out in their oyster shell parking lot. Other than that, it was dependable.

He had a Blaupunkt CR-5001 in his, a couple years prior to the named models. EPI LS-841 8" 3-way in the parcel/side panels and EPI LS-70's in the door with the bigger STK-powered Blaupunkt BPA-430 amp. Sounded very good for early 80's car stuff.

Your Tuscon, that was the shaft mount version with the little 4-channel TDA2003 amp, right? BQA-80. That was not a cheap cassette deck.

I swapped the mechanical fuel injection for Weber side drafts in my '75 Alfa before it needed servicing. Didn't want to go there...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.