Why "minimalism" is not popular ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I also like designs based on transformers and like others, one of the main issues is cost - good iron isn't cheap. But if you are a busy man, the time saved in building a simple amp with transformers can be an incentive. I recently bought a nice output transformer from SOWTER and I hope I'll get a chance to play with it this summer.

No, Steve. The whole point of a transformer is that it passes a signal without attenuation. The voltage amplitude may be reduced but the current amplitude will be increased.

Attenuation in physics is the diminution of flux. Flux is conserved in a transformer.

Attenuation is a reduction in power.

Attenuation can be a reduction in any number of things. Voltage, current, power, whatever.

Point being, if you expect to get a given voltage at the transformer's output, it needs to have a certain voltage at its input. And with a step-down transformer, the voltage at its output will always be lower than the voltage at its input.

se

...in addition to providing the low output impedance, it's also attenuating the signal. So if you want a given amount of overall gain, your gain device needs to provide even more gain to overcome that which is lost by the output transformer.

This is rubbish. The power produced by an output valve is all transferred to the speaker by the OPT. A transformer has neither gain nor loss.

Attenuation refers specifically to power even when the quantities involved in the calculation are fields.

Why do you think its 20*log10(Vi/Vo) for fields (amplitudes) and 10*log10(Pi/Po) for powers (intensities)?

It's because power varies as the square of the voltage.

The formula 20*log10(Vi/Vo) is only valid in a constant impedance environment, which of course a transformer is not.

A transformer only attenuates the power it passes to the extent that it is inefficient.

Decibel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not that I don't hear what you're saying Steve, but what you're saying is confusing and muddled. You need to learn to distinguish between voltage gain and power gain and to be careful how you employ terms when discussing topics where a critical appreciation is required.

Point being, if you expect to get a given voltage at the transformer's output, it needs to have a certain voltage at its input. And with a step-down transformer, the voltage at its output will always be lower than the voltage at its input.

...the voltage seen by the transformer's primary is reduced (i.e. attenuated) by a factor of 25, or about 28dB at the transformer's secondary.

There you go, making simple, clear, declarative sentences again.

Here's what he said.

So in addition to providing the low output impedance, it's also attenuating the signal.

It's not attenuating the signal.

If we don't preserve these distinctions and nuances in the technical language we employ then meaningful discussion will ultimately become impossible.

I find it incomprehensible that you should take up the cudgels in these circumstances. If I miswrote allotrope for isotope you would hardly let it pass. I can only imagine that you bear me some personal animosity.

For me it went even further. There was a style of lettering commonly seen in old schematic drawings, other drafted drawings as well as things like engraved nameplates.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

se

In my hand I have a 10 by 2 inch, clear plastic "TIMESAVER" LETTERING GUIDE No. 260-V with the same font. I used it to draw schematics, back in the old days (1970's - 1980's)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.