Why is Faital Pro 6RS140 so well regarded given it's distortion measurements?

I get that Vance wants to standardise measurements for 94dB/1m for Hi-Fi drivers and 104dB/1m for PA drivers, but measuring them at 10cm means that the mic sees +20dB. So we're talking 114 or 124dB for a pink noise stimulus, but for drivers that have a resonant peak- yes it's easily over 120/130dB that the mic is seeing. The Listen Inc. microphone is specified up to only 123/126dB for <1% THD (SCM3/SCM4 model)
It's not clear whether it's the Vance is using the older SCM3, or current SCM4, but either way, it's the mic distortion at 6.5KHz when it's observing 132dB, or driver distortion (eg. 500Hz to 1.x KHz) or a combination of both (quite possibly- mic is observing 130dB @~1.2KHz)
I do wish he would take more care in his distortion measurements.
@tktran303 Well done analysis, thank you!

Best regards
Bernd

Try the Klippel listening test and see if you still have the same understanding of what level and type of distortion is clearly audible to you and others, (8003 paticipants as of 1/7/21, last time I checked).
How did you do with it? I got -39 dB, could probably get to -43 with practice. I used the test tones since they would probably be the easiest. Fascinating that a fair number of respondents got into the minus 50~60 dB range, impressive. So in real world terms, I should not be able to hear any distortion in a Purifi 6.5 midrange where the noise levels are generally at -50 or better, but for the Faital, where that peak is only 30 dB below the signal for H2 and 40 dB for H3 I should just be able to perceive the driver as "flawed", provided the right program content and I'm paying attention and again, acknowledging that these are fairly high listening levels. Note that my rooms are fairly large so while one would not sit 3 feet in front of these drivers at 104 dB, they could easily be called upon to play at these levels during high volume passages when sitting 12 feet away in an 18x24 room. But that's a useless debate- someone can always claim "more". My point is still that the Faital does not measure better than a few other drivers out there, including from what I can find, ones from Purifi, SB, Wavecor, and Seas, among others, although some are significantly more expensive than the Faital and some are not, and the distortion could be detected. Of course measurements aren't everything, just surprised the distortion isn't leading people to be more superlative in their comments about other drivers.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Honestly, I sometimes think bad data is worse than no data at all.

I don't expect the 6RS140 is exhibit that level of distortion, as published at Audioxpress.

Someone send one to @HiFiCompass and my guess is that it measures much better at 94 and 104dB @1m, if it care is taken not to clip something in the signal path (transducer/mic/pre-amp)...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How did you do with it? I got -39 dB, could probably get to -43 with practice. I used the test tones since they would probably be the easiest. Fascinating that a fair number of respondents got into the minus 50~60 dB range, impressive. So in real world terms, I should not be able to hear any distortion in a Purifi 6.5 midrange where the noise levels are generally at -50 or better, but for the Faital, where that peak is only 30 dB below the signal for H2 and 40 dB for H3 I should just be able to perceive the driver as "flawed", provided the right program content and I'm paying attention and again, acknowledging that these are fairly high listening levels.
Using the "full range speaker" "two-tone 70Hz 800Hz" Klippel listening test my range has been around -33, similar to most respondents, one time as low as -51, today somewhere between the two.
As it is for most, my distortion audibility threshold is much lower using tones rather than music.
And distortion in music can easily mask speaker distortion.

With:withoutHA.png

Today, using "Music T. Chapman-Bl only", listening to speakers with hearing aids on, was at -6dB (not good..) took them off and reached -12, about the middle of the pack now, three years ago was -18.

Fairly certain that the progressive loss of high frequency hearing sensitivity has also raised my distortion threshold..

At any rate, it is interesting to hear what the different types of speaker distortion sound like in isolation, and what one's individual perception level of those distortions are with different sources.

Art

Reactions: 1 user
THD measurements in AudioXprew have to be used with some care and personally I don’t trust the data whenever the measured fundamental exceeds 126dB. The SCM mic used by AudioXpress only specifies THD1% upto 126dB. For professional efficient 6.5 drivers where a reference of 104@1mtr is used the fundamental tends to exceed this level in the 800-2000Hz band where also 2nd harmonic makes a jump. For a non-AC measurement I also don’t rely on data <150Hz where I prefer (as does HifiCompass) nearfield
20mm. Note that for reference the AudioXpress THD measurements for the Purifi PTT6.5X even at 94dB reference are way off compared to my own measurements that are consistent with those of Purifi and HiFiCompass. FYI I just got a pair of 6RS140 and will soon compare them against the PTT6.5X as my reference. Recently upgraded my measurement set-up to allow for nearfield (20-100-315mm) THD measurements >130dB.

Reactions: 1 users