Why I'll never buy another PC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Linux is a dead end as far as consumers are concerned. It just doesn't work for the average user. It is far too fiddly and arcane, even the supposed "easy to use" front ends take about 6 hours to configure and get running, and as for actually trying to install any software to do a job, then you might as well not bother. Even PCs are more usable.

al/ used to write real machine code with no compiler...

Naah, not quite right about Linux.

Take the Mandriva distribution, I knew nothing about linux when I went head first into installing it (a response to growing frustration over MAC and Microsoft).
I had it up and running in like 30min. and have had very little problems with it. By now I have been running Mandriva like half a year, and I can say for sure that I spend less time making things work on the Mandriva platform, than I did on the Win. XP platform.

Magura/ used to get frustrated over computers till he got Mandriva

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I think you just made my point in a backwards kind of way. I was gifted an old 500Mhz PC, and I use it basically for speaker workshop, and that's it. As I had an old 10Meg HD lying around, I decided to try Linux. In all the time I spent researching, I never even heard of the Mandriva distribution, and the others I tried were just painful.

The Linux community really needs to get it's act together and produce at least one distribution that makes sense to non computer science graduates, and end this nonsense of compling software for your own machine. Until then, its for geeks only...

al/ puts his pen back in his shirt pocket protector.

pinkmouse said:
I think you just made my point in a backwards kind of way. I was gifted an old 500Mhz PC, and I use it basically for speaker workshop, and that's it. As I had an old 10Meg HD lying around, I decided to try Linux. In all the time I spent researching, I never even heard of the Mandriva distribution, and the others I tried were just painful.

The Linux community really needs to get it's act together and produce at least one distribution that makes sense to non computer science graduates, and end this nonsense of compling software for your own machine. Until then, its for geeks only...

al/ puts his pen back in his shirt pocket protector.

10mb UM that wont hold much of a pdf file let alone linux..

I begg to difer about linux these days. I agree 4 years ago it was tough to get working and installed but now you install mandrake ubuntu redhat fedora suse ect ect it all detects stuff and works. I have a new To me dell PIII 1gig with speed stepping laptop and well ubuntu linux works just fine. On the exception of the wireless finiky card.. Other than that it runs better than windows.. If i had a choice id ditch the linux and pc and buy a mac.. : O )

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jleaman said:
If i had a choice id ditch the linux and pc and buy a mac.. : O )

All you hear from jason is him complaining about PCs (or how slow his loaner Mac is -- it is free & some 7 years old -- still faster than the one Al has IIRC -- 480 MHz G3 Beige -- when he is done it will make an excellent oscillopscope)

BTW... i may need the spare vid card out of that -- trading for some speakers)

dave

My mac went to the side of the road. i was sick of paying for upgrades every year.

and sick of paying double the cost of new PC parts for obsolete mac parts.

its incredibly easy to protect your PC with free tools. the problem is not the computers, its the $%$#@# people who write viruses/spyware/phishing/and the fabulous new "ransomware"

as well as the whole idea of "computers for the masses" is not such a good one when many the "masses" are idiots who will click on anything. but they allow them to drive cars, buy guns and procreate, so i doubt there will be a "computer profficiency test" any time soon..

neutron7 said:
My mac went to the side of the road. i was sick of paying for upgrades every year.

and sick of paying double the cost of new PC parts for obsolete mac parts.

its incredibly easy to protect your PC with free tools. the problem is not the computers, its the $%$#@# people who write viruses/spyware/phishing/and the fabulous new "ransomware"

as well as the whole idea of "computers for the masses" is not such a good one when many the "masses" are idiots who will click on anything. but they allow them to drive cars, buy guns and procreate, so i doubt there will be a "computer profficiency test" any time soon..

My arguement is.. PC's running windows will get spyware and viruses.

MAC COMPUTERS DO NOT!!

jleaman said:

My arguement is.. PC's running windows will get spyware and viruses.

MAC COMPUTERS DO NOT!!

Not yet, you mean. Any program containing millions of lines of code, such as an OS, is bound to have holes where a malefactor could sneak in. To wit, Linux and Firefox, once touted as virus free, now have a few written just for them. On the other hand, MS Windows is extraordinarily pervious, designed as it is with no eye to security (I mean, ActiveX? Who are you kidding?).

All this to say that Macs are safe for now because, quite frankly, there aren't enough around to give script kiddies that little booger-eating thrill.

Francois.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.