Why doesn't this sound dreadful?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was feeling too lazy to hook up my bookshelf speakers, so I hooked up some £10 fullrangers I had lying around. I just wanted to listen to music, I didn't particularly care about the quality at time, I just needed a fix :)

I put in a CD and was surprised to find that, with the treble almost right up, these things sounded quite nice! Maybe I just have really low standards as to what sounds good, but I'm pretty sure the imaging is better than my £150 bookshelf speakers I have, and although the very top end is missing, you can still make most of the detail. Obviously there's NO bass, but you can feel it through the desk :clown:

Anyone else had any pleasant surprises with really cheap speakers?

Last edited:
There may be some psycho-acoustics going on with masking, etc. (not something I know about, just been doing a little reading) but as for the imaging, you're operating a dipole speaker so the wavefront is concentrated a bit more. Sitting right in front of them you're likely to get some good sound, IMHO.

BAD NEWS

For some unknown reason, the voice coil on one of them has started rubbing! They started doing this after I disconnected them. I noticed because I accidently poked the surround with my finger (gently) and heard it rubbing! Whenever you gently push in the cone now, you can feel and hear it rubbing against the magnet. The other one doesn't do this at all :( I don't know why this is or how it happend :bawling: They still might be alright, though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.