Why are woofers getting so small?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i love this forum :))
">>> all my wives have tolerated big speakers...

I am still on my first one and she's tolerant of big speakers as long as they are in the basement. But i am thinking of upgrading... both the wife and speakers."

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones- or just am reaping the benefit of cojones. My wife is shrinking and my speakers are getting bigger, and are smack dab in the living room- they're the first thing you see when you walk in the front door.

It's good to be the nerd king of SoCal. :knight:

Why blame the wife's who is the boss guys.

Who has the youth has to future so I am learning my douther to say "good sound is very important" (in dutch) and she will say it with a smile on her face.(thinks daddy makes a yoke)

She will be the first smart blonde girl. ;)

Funny thing of children is they learn by coping the parents so she likes to to play her cd's and dvd's. She already worn a cd player. And want to use my equipment because that can play louder.
And every big loudspeaker I build she is enthusiastic they are always beautiful, so small speaker behavior isn't a thing girls are born with they learn it from each other or magazines.

Last edited:
Why blame the wife's who is the boss guys.

Who has the youth has to future so I am learning my douther to say "good sound is very important" (in dutch) and she will say it with a smile on her face.(thinks daddy makes a yoke)

She will be the first smart blonde girl. ;)

Funny thing of children is they learn by coping the parent so she likes to to play her cd's and dvd's. She already worn a cd player. And want to use my equipment because that can play louder.

My 4 year old has "Zigmahornets" in her room :)

B&W published a white paper for the latest 801 Nautilus with measured data plus listener reviews which made the case that new motor and cone technologies allow one 15" woofer to have superior transient performance over multiple smaller woofers. BUT, one year later B&W started to market the 802 Nautilus which uses two 10" woofers in a much more living room acceptable size, AND this twin 10" model quickly became the best seller. The picture is worth 1,000 words.

Personally, I've been watching for a superior home audio 18" woofer with 96-98 db/watt SPL which can cover 20-300Hz to replace stacked 15" woofers with a smaller(shorter) box. I believe NdFeB radial motors and carbon fiber loaded paper cones will make 18" the new favorite size for efficient DIY bass.

Dr. Geddes has been adding new research on the value of putting multiple woofers in the room to remove resonant modes. This type of room bass solution could provide large volume displacement from four or more modest diameter woofers... say 12".. instead of two monster woofers or two monster bass horns.

2 (12) are better suited for the typical listening room size than 1 fifteen, Room size is one of the key factors when sizing woofers, plus the added benefit of better transient response.

204668d1294641895-why-woofers-getting-so-small-18-woofers.jpg

This would be better worded if it said "higher SPL/Volt sensitivity" instead. That's the biggest advantage.
Two 15's have more surface area, too.

Plus better transient response , less distortion .... :tons:.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.