why are old school amps worth so much?

I wonder sometimes what ever happened to the box that I built into my car that I sold.

You never know, it may show up somewhere one day.

A couple years back, I was searching cars for sale and found an Alfa GTV6 that I did a system in back in 1990. I recognized the woofer wiring as mine right away. On closer look, it was all there -Alpine 7914, Kenwood woofers that I got from the sales rep, JBL mids, RF plates up front. Like a time warp... I had to email the dude and let him know I did the stereo, and he caught e up on where the car had been and how it got out west from ATL.

Neat.

You never know, it may show up somewhere one day.

A couple years back, I was searching cars for sale and found an Alfa GTV6 that I did a system in back in 1990. I recognized the woofer wiring as mine right away. On closer look, it was all there -Alpine 7914, Kenwood woofers that I got from the sales rep, JBL mids, RF plates up front. Like a time warp... I had to email the dude and let him know I did the stereo, and he caught e up on where the car had been and how it got out west from ATL.

Neat.
LOL...I had 4 Kenwood 6.5" subwoofers on the deck of my 1981 Honda Civic Sedan in 1990. My not then wife at the time & her BFF blew them while using my car to move. The subs were mounted IB and they had the trunk packed while running the subs full tilt. Since they were still under warranty, I was able to return the Kenwoods to the stereo shop and get 4 Blaupunkt 8's that were on sale. I think I ended up getting some money back after the swap!

I just took four 12s out of my car, it drives nicer without all that weight in there. I am going to weigh it and see what it is, and that is just an IB baffle no box. It has to be like 80lbs give or take, makes a difference in this little car. It sat the rear down so I put bumpers in the springs to get it back up, then it didn't steer as nice and had a slight sway when it was windy.

This car has a little four banger, I can certainly tell the difference from one to two people in the car. But it works fine for what I need right now I'd rather buy subs and other stuff than gas. It will pass someone if I need to. But the 12s, they were way too much weight. I'm actually checking amps I have to see what ones are lighter lol. Going to try a mtx JH on the subs they are quite light they have no sink. Then I have an infinity here too, it is a real anchor in comparison. The ply I use for the baffle is pretty light, working on a simple way to mount the amps lighter too but they will be hanging from the deck is the current plan so needs to be somewhat stout. If I had to box a sub over 1.25cf, I'd be building a tube for it. Always hated heavy boxes, many I made out of ply that helps and I never had a problem with them but would beef them up for high power stuff or put mdf on them too.

No doubt the old RWD cars I had as a kid never seemed to notice a little extra weight.

Mine is a 95 impreza, and even with my swapped 300hp 4 banger I can tell a huge difference with passengers. I took out all seats and interior except the driver seat and dash it made it way quicker. I'm going to feel depressed after reinstalling the interior and stereo equipment.

I have a few old school rockfords that I have seen go for some cash. I gave a whole 5bux's for both. The one did work but the other not sure of still in the original box. I have no use for them but if someone would like to have them I will get rid of them.

On is a rockford punch 25hd I believe. It is one of the lower wattage ones. The other is a punch 150 hd I believe. The 25 is the one that quit working while I had it hooked up to test it. I would rather see them go to someone that collects them instead of junk them.

Last edited:
I have a few old school rockfords that I have seen go for some cash. I gave a whole 5bux's for both. The one did work but the other not sure of still in the original box. I have no use for them but if someone would like to have them I will get rid of them.

On is a rockford punch 25hd I believe. It is one of the lower wattage ones. The other is a punch 150 hd I believe. The 25 is the one that quit working while I had it hooked up to test it. I would rather see them go to someone that collects them instead of junk them.

Send a couple of pictures, and idea from the prices.

hugi00@gmail.com

Thanks