why are old school amps worth so much?

Re: Re: Nostalgia

speaker said:

Paul Stary & Audiomobile almost never get mentioned. His pioneering work there led to ADS in the later 80's developing those concepts even further. John Bishop was an Audiomobile alum and went on to oversee the car audio division at ADS from ~86 on.

The Proton 250 (& 222) are interesting amplifiers. They were built by the same vendor that made ADS' first amplifier, the P100. A 250 is a P100 by any other name.

A proton 250 just sold on ebay a few days ago, for cheap.

Prices a pretty wild, I bought a rough not working ca240 for $20 tmd. One just sold for 160 shipped, it was nice but still I saw at least two good ca260s sell for less than that not long ago and some 240s went for about half what this 240 did.

Aint that the way it always works, low priority but thought I would keep an eye out for a matching 240...and once you get one you can never get a half way good deal on a partner for it. I have at least 4 amps here I'd like to find a second or another of that line to match and no luck yet. I guess I don't care about matching amps in my car anyway, still always seems to work that way for some reason.

I saw that Dr Crankenstein on there too, but don't know anything about them.

That is the thing, most people think amps are pretty ugly so you put them in the closet. They can't do a thing for you if you are not using them in car or on a power supply. I keep ones I might use but there are just too many other toys to have and not enough room at my house for more things I don't use :)

Besides, now days you can find X amp and buy it. I remember the days of when you snapped up near anything you could find because they just were not around. Now in a couple months you can find just about anything you want, depending on price you want to pay. I never even knew what a PPI amp was before ebay, even though I've had a sansui kicking around here for well over 15yrs. They just didn't sell them at any places I went to and nobody I knew ever had any. I bought the sansui 150w at a police auction I got up at 6am Sat to go to half asleep, for $35, and back then that was a good price. Ran a 12 with it last year and it started fading out...I found about 1/3 of the outputs were not fully soldered on the board, still works fine after fixing that.:eek: Now I'm going to screw a terminal strip to it and get rid of that stupid plug I had to crush spades to barely use. Those goofy plugs, I sure hate that about old amps.

RE: Proton Amps...

I bought a Proton D230 (a Dynamic Power on Demand amp) off Ebay several months ago. I have the schematics for this amp and had been waiting for a working sample to play with. You rarely see this one. I can remember when it was all over the pages of Crutchfield many moons ago. It is rated at 30W/Ch into 4 and has a peak power of around 75W/Ch. The peak power capacitors in this amp are fairly small, as is the switching toroid (more on this below). I wasn't expecting much...

I put it against my minty Linear Power 1002 and connected some 4 ohm studio monitors that could handle the juice. Well, the "little" Proton kicked the LP!! :eek: I put in Persephone's Bees "Nice Day (Chris Cox remix)" and watched the woofer cones (very phat bass on that track). Not only was the 230 louder than the 1002, but controlled the woofer cone movement better as well! I thought the sound was a little crisper too. I disconnected the 230 and lovingly placed in on the shelf in my studio. It deserved a place of respect. No hating on LP though, I still like my 1002.

I also have two dead Proton D275s (another DPD amp). The peak power capacitors in this amp are huge. I am looking forward to restoring these amps to their former glory. The 275 is like the 230 on steroids. :cool:

Does anyone have the repair manual for the Proton D275? I was going to trace the circuit, but having the schematic would make it a lot easier and quicker.

I always liked the LP 2002 and 3002 the best. Used to put a lot of systems together with those. Also used to run SS D60/100 on highs with them that seemed a little sharper for highs. Punch 75 and 150 worked nice too, but did seem more colored. In a time when many did not have EQs, they could be nice to run. Some had bass/treble as I recall.

Still can't recall what this cube amp was we had. It was a little square and went loud like it was class d or something. I thought it was LP but maybe not. It had a ton of noise from the car, could not get rid of alternator noise so we hardly sold any. I think it was under 2" square and made to go right behind a HU or under one.:confused: With the car off it sounded good and went louder than todays high power HU do. It was amazing for the size.

Does anyone have any memories of the old light-gray Pyle "Digital Demand" amps? They were made in the USA. The model numbers were A50, A200, A400 (to name a few). I have an A50 I always thought sounded clean. I opened it up and thought the circuit looked fairly crude. Beautiful looking amps though. All aluminum with a VERY nice anodizing job.

We had a local audio store in the 80s that carried these. I remember they were not cheap...

I used to put in those awesome pyle subs they had then, but we never had the amps. They tried to sell kenwood like crazy but they had the 820, must have been the or nearly the biggest amp from them and not big enough. Had pioneer to, GM-120s all over along with the worst line level problems ever but fairly good HUs. I had some nice kenwood HUs back then.

in the very early 90's one of my first systems consisted of a nice pair of Pyle Driver 10's in a box with built in mids and piezo tweeters(remember those?). this was all i had for speakers and i strapped the box down to the back seat in a 74' chevy nova that was loaned to me by my manager of the shoe store that i was working at so i could paint it in the autobody and paint class that i was taking.
the other funny thing was that i was running the box off of an old shaft style kenwood radio with the front and rear channels bridged together. it sounded pretty load and not to bad if i recall. i used to unplug the radio and carry it around in a case like a pullout or something. LOL!!!:D those were the days. eventualy i got a nice used alpine pullout that sounded awsome. they just don't make em' like they used too. i just love old school audio. maybe it is part nostalgia but whatever makes one happy!!

rderby said:
Does anyone have any memories of the old light-gray Pyle "Digital Demand" amps? They were made in the USA. The model numbers were A50, A200, A400 (to name a few). I have an A50 I always thought sounded clean. I opened it up and thought the circuit looked fairly crude. Beautiful looking amps though. All aluminum with a VERY nice anodizing job.

We had a local audio store in the 80s that carried these. I remember they were not cheap...

Yeah, I noticed some in an audio/electronics parts shop in Huntington beach CA back in 91 when I was in school. They looked pretty nice and were expensive. I went back a few months later to get a closer look and they didn't sell them anymore.

Here is a bit of insanity:
(I don’t know if something shady is going on but….)

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-D-S-Power-Pla...ryZ39739QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don’t care how mint or OS it is I see the PH15 go all day for 300…..and as low as 150$.

On the flip side there is a really nice looking series I SS D60 with a “buy it now” for 50$.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUNDSTREAM-D60...ryZ39732QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would get it but just got another amp and I am limiting myself to one a month!

I paid $40 for my Rub 302 last spring at a pawn shop, in nice shape even. We will see how long this lasts, I been watching amps for well over a year pretty good and have not seen a price jump like this. $800 and he is listing the remote and DIN separate! He is making a killing IMO for that old thing. Getting real temped to list all my old amps and grab the cash, don't have that many but hey when the sun shines....

D60 is not much use to me, too small. I see some 30w/ch old amps selling for stiff prices right now, not sure what they are doing with them if they are not a bridgeable 4ch, or you run a pair bridged mono. I don't really like doing that unless I have to if not on subs. I was running an ancient alpine 2x40 and it sounds great but has a hard time far as volume and I don't mean blasting loud. It was better at 2 ohms on all 4 speakers, but still didn't want to make enough midbass. I need to make it bridgeable....I have a pair now, that would be sweet on a front stage.:cool: I think that was $2 plus shipping I paid for the second one.

Maybe they are pushing the bids. I know one trick I have seen lately is they don't put shipping on the item, then if they don't get enough they just never give you shipping cost so you can't pay for it. They relist and try again.

shagone said:
the other funny thing was that i was running the box off of an old shaft style kenwood radio with the front and rear channels bridged together. it sounded pretty load and not to bad if i recall. i used to unplug the radio and carry it around in a case like a pullout or something. LOL!!!:D those were the days. eventualy i got a nice used alpine pullout that sounded awsome. they just don't make em' like they used too. i just love old school audio. maybe it is part nostalgia but whatever makes one happy!!
Lol! I can't think of all the junk I cobbled together before I had some amps. I remember running boosters for amps, with the rear on 2-4 6x9s and the top three bands of the 5 band EQ at the bottom....and the opposite with a smaller EQ for the fronts! All running via speaker leads off an old sansui cassette knob deck. But it sure put out more than any HU alone, much more you just could not turn it up past half way. Every now and then I find a custom cassette I made full of cool old songs kicking around here. I really should figure out how to copy and process them, most are metal tapes off a nice home unit so they should not sound that bad. A lot of the music was borrowed so I don't have it, some is not available. The good old days when I had nothing better to do.

I just plain like the old amps. The collecting gets addicting too. I have a large shop full of the old school stuff. They make great wall hangers. My Fosgate wall ran out of space. Can't fit anymore on there. Starting to sell some of it off though. Just have too much of it, and it is bringing a mint on Ebay. Keeping a few of pretty much everything, and selling off the extras. I guess one reason I like them so much is that I know what they will do, and I just don't know that much about the class-D which seems to be what everything is now. I know what Class AB does, and I like it, and know what they will do when I put power to them. I can work on them if the solder breaks loose, a cap goes bad, transistors burn up, ect. Just can't get enough of the old school amps. Then you have the thrill of the hunt. I collect the old school Fosgate amps, and it is hard to find new in box amps from the 70's and 80's. But they are out there. Just have to look. Haven't come across any new old stock ones for sale in awhile, but always looking. It is getting more expensive to buy them every year, but with prices going up, they sure make a good investment.
P1181514.jpg

P1181515.jpg

I've never even seen an RF with the sanyo type side fins. First ones I saw were the punch in red writing the 45/75...and I'm not far from RF home base. I do have an OEQ here someplace I never used. Nice stuff, those photos kill me. That is a fortune in 1980s funds, maybe two fortunes!

See if you get a laugh out of this old amp...see if it makes you think Christmas like it did me. 190201400437

tomtomjr said:
I just plain like the old amps. The collecting gets addicting too. I have a large shop full of the old school stuff. They make great wall hangers. My Fosgate wall ran out of space. Can't fit anymore on there. Starting to sell some of it off though. Just have too much of it, and it is bringing a mint on Ebay. Keeping a few of pretty much everything, and selling off the extras. I guess one reason I like them so much is that I know what they will do, and I just don't know that much about the class-D which seems to be what everything is now. I know what Class AB does, and I like it, and know what they will do when I put power to them. I can work on them if the solder breaks loose, a cap goes bad, transistors burn up, ect. Just can't get enough of the old school amps. Then you have the thrill of the hunt. I collect the old school Fosgate amps, and it is hard to find new in box amps from the 70's and 80's. But they are out there. Just have to look. Haven't come across any new old stock ones for sale in awhile, but always looking. It is getting more expensive to buy them every year, but with prices going up, they sure make a good investment.

HOLY COW! /insert loony-bin sounds.

I have never EVER seen any of those Fosgate amps in such good condition! In fact, I haven't seen some of those amps at all! Very, very impressive. Please put some higher resolution pics on Photobucket/Flickr!

The coolest one to me is the box with the original Fosgate logo, and "Rockford Fosgate" stamped off to the side.

Obviously that was product in Jim Fosgate's stock at the time of the Rockford Corp's buy in. Rather than repackaging, the new company name was just stamped on for posterity. Can't be many of those still around.

tomtomjr, please consider Envision's request to post more pic's.

edit:

jol50:
those p80's are decent amps, but make less power into 2 ohms than 4 ohms!

Tim

I have some old amps that size I mostly ended up with somehow. Not much use to me if not bridgeable. Have some alpines I asked on here about converting, really should get back on that project. They have UPC1225H....there must be a way unless I do it external. Bridged they would be a great front stage.