Why am I discovering this??

Disco-Pete

Paid Member
2009-11-30 10:04 pm
Okay, so is it a secret, kept/unkept, that if you splay flat panels a good 4-5 deg, an incredibly good sound stage begins to appear? I have a pair of Monitor 3 Acoustats. 3 wire full range panels. They are equipped with the direct drive OTL mono amps. I've discovered after intensive experimentation, that with a Model 3 or Monitor 3(I have both), best result is achieved when the innermost panels are used for optimal toe in(by ear), with about 3 deg leaning back. I realized this incidentally while trying to help the inherent beaming associated with this design. Then I thought, would it break up if the panels, because flat, weren't vertically placed? So I started with a 1/8" wafer under the inside bottom edge. I immediately noticed a change. I incrementally increased the angle to 4.5 deg. I'm ecstatic at the result so far.

It's in a particular thread category, no? How's that zero? It's not like I'm sidling up to an eskimo for the first time, right?:)

"How to slide up to an Eskimo" would be just as good a thread title since it would be in the same thread category. It was a comment that was meant to help you I expect.

If you put 2 tweeters on the same plane there is comb filtering. Dipole with an angle to an open baffle mount gives a different result. Why just talk about a single tweeter ;-).

Disco-Pete

Paid Member
"How to slide up to an Eskimo" would be just as good a thread title since it would be in the same thread category. It was a comment that was meant to help you I expect.

If you put 2 tweeters on the same plane there is comb filtering. Dipole with an angle to an open baffle mount gives a different result. Why just talk about a single tweeter ;-).
I was not able to edit the title.

Disco-Pete

Paid Member
Most solosound electrostatics and probable many other did the same. but usually there are severe dips and peaks if you would measure them. at least i replicated that a few months ago, and it did not measure nice at all inbetween panels. lots of combfiltering etc.
However they still sound better this way imo. I think I will try acoustic lenses straight out at the center panel curving progressively outward at the outer panels ala Beveridge but oriented vertically. Have you tried this?

Disco-Pete

Paid Member
I love these speakers. I don't experience 'problems'. Lots of positive attributes with them. Sound is BIG, mind you they are physically MASSIVE. They go very LOUD like having a concert in your living room. SPL does not drop off per meter like dynamic drivers. Very linear/coherent sounding. Much more dynamic than they are given credit for, however when driven directly with the servo OTLs. Interfaces definitely get in the way. I do use a pair of subs, though.