• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Who is interested in a groupbuy of Mark Kelly's DC controller PCB and related parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: dc motor and controller

kevinchampion said:
Also do you know anyone who can supply a very good quality inverted bearing. I may need about 5 sets in total.

I just got myne machined at a local shop for a total cost of 80 dollars US. i have my original drawing at the end of my thread and some pics "completing my turntable". if you cant find a good machine shop there let me know i can ask around here and see if i can get some made for you.

I did have to polish my stainless myself. also see the post started by roger waters (username).
ED

Decision Time

I received the prototype PCBs from the board house, they are of excellent quality - fully professional. I have assembled and tested them and I've found and fixed a couple of drafting errors in the PCB (If you look carefully at the schemo in the article in Bas's mag you'll find that I cocked up IC4a and IC4b). Things are now working well.

I think it's time we started making some decisions on where this project is headed. To do this I need some information from people regarding what they actually want and what they are expecting it to cost.

Firstly, do you want a single speed with on board adjustment or do you want two speeds / external adjustment? The second speed and/ or the external adjustment requires a separate adjustment board.

Secondly do you want solder masking and silkscreen printing on the boards? These add to the cost but make assembly much easier and yield a very professional looking product.

As a guide, if most people want external adjustment and solder mask / silkscreen, the boards should come out around $USD17 per pair.

If most people don't want external adjustment then the piece cost becomes quite high if solder mask / silkscreen is required, actually higher than the cost of the pair of boards above. No that doesn't make sense to me either but they're the board house's rules.

Without the silkscreen the cost per single board should come out around $USD14. Without solder mask or silkscreen the cost per board would be under USD$12.

These prices include the cost of the board including postage to most places plus a margin to cover the costs I have incurred doing the prototype boards. I'm not looking to profit from this but I don't see why it should cost me money either. If you don't think that's fair don't buy in. I haven't worked out how you can pay yet - anyone know how much it costs to set up a paypal account?

Once we have sorted this we can move on to the kits.

I have a Paypal account, and I think it cost $0.05 to verify it.
Paypals profit lies in the 3% fee off every transaction. Unless transactions exceeds $6-700 this is the cheapest form of international money transaction I know of.
If I I'm to source the motors for Europe, I will use Paypal.

Re: Decision Time

Mark Kelly said:

As a guide, if most people want external adjustment and solder mask / silkscreen, the boards should come out around $USD17 per pair.

Once we have sorted this we can move on to the kits.

This is fine with me, good price, and I want to run 331/3 and 45.

I have to get back to you on shipping costs for motors, I think about $18 for the US and a little less for Europe, but I need to double check this.

I guess given the choice that I would prefer the external speed adjustment for 33-1/3 and 45 rpm just to be flexible. But it really dosen't matter to me as I probably would never use 45 rpm anyway. I also would prefer the mask and silkscreen. I think 17 bucks is fine and I also think Mark Kelly should get a few bucks a board for his trouble so lets just call it 20 bucks or something like that. Watcha think?

Mark

markgall said:
I guess given the choice that I would prefer the external speed adjustment for 33-1/3 and 45 rpm just to be flexible. But it really dosen't matter to me as I probably would never use 45 rpm anyway. I also would prefer the mask and silkscreen. I think 17 bucks is fine and I also think Mark Kelly should get a few bucks a board for his trouble so lets just call it 20 bucks or something like that. Watcha think?

Mark

I support it, Mark is saving me a lot of cash and trouble, $20 is fine.

Ya know it would be really cool if someone in this group could source a bearing for this project, that would pretty much wrap up the major components. With a quantity of 35 were probably getting pretty close to getting a descent price from a cnc machine shop, 50 would probably be better yet. I was planning on making my own bearing on my mini lathe (taig) but everyone desen't have this capability also if the price was good I would prefer to just buy one. I have a piece of .625 diameter chromed and polished shaft which I got from work that I was planning on using and was going to make a housing for bronze bushings which I would ream for a good fit but It'll be a ton of work. I have some ideas for the bearing design and if anyone else has any input as to the design I can offer up to make the solid models and drawings in pro-engineer for the bearing.

Mark

I agree it dosen't need to be bundled with this group buy.
It's just that I'm in need of a bearing for my turntable project and I think others are also (just guessing here maybe there isn't any interest though). It just seemed like a good time to get something started. There has been a number of discussions on diy turntable bearings on this board but no group buys that I recall.

If I am going to make my own I was planning to use a precision ground chromed and polished shaft. I have access to this material at work. Then i was planning to use bronze bearings pressed into a housing which I would machine myself. This is going to be quite a lot of work and the reason for this approch is I don't think I can hold the tolerances necessary on my mini lathe. If the quantity were high enough we could probably get a cnc machine shop to make the bearings with a more suitable design at a good price. I'm thinking in the less than 100.00 usd range.

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.