Who else is gaining weight?

I am up about 7#, but that is only a short story. I have lost a good bit of muscle mass and gained a lot of fat.

I have only ridden the bicycle four times this year.

I tried to get up at 6am this morning for a ride, but that was a bad plan.

Rain has set in for the next foreseeable future (10 days), so it is not likely I will ride for a while.

Attachments

• Forecast.png
    Forecast.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 108
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My rehab after the long hospital stay pushed my weight down some 60-70 lbs (and in a lot better shape) from before that stay. Late last summer after a rehab reevaluation, my practitioner said, “don’t loose too much weight”. Since then ihave been trying to gain weight but have not been successful and even thou eating like a pig (but goos stuff) i have only decreased in weight. I would like to gain 4 kg from where i am now.

dave

I will only do 10-13 mile rides until I get back in shape. At peak I do one 23 to 25 mile ride and a couple 13-15 mile rides per week.

I did a 30mile ride once last year and decided it left me too tired to be worth it.

I managed 36km (~22 miles) yesterday. Like you, I've only ridden about 4 times this year. The last ride was about a month ago, but my lungs were really burning. The flu I picked up in early March really settled in my lungs, kinda like some other virus that's going around.:eek:

jeff

Let's see...
I've been battling some minor health issues for a while that require me to limit my diet to "healthy stuff", and most of those things that are considered healthy are, to me, boring...the things that I'm supposed to stay away from are mostly the things I love to eat...such is life when you achieve the age of oldness.
I've been keeping track of my weight starting at the beginning of this year, checking it on the first of every month.
In January I was tipping the scale at about 165-170 lbs (75-77 kg) which is a wee bit high for my height.
In February I was about the same.
In March, I had dropped to my nominal weight of 160 lbs (72 kg)
In April when we were first restricted to quarters, I was about the same.
In May I had gained about 5 lbs.
So, all in all, not too bad I guess...a little will power goes a long way toward success.
I should also mention that I don't watch too much TeeVee because there's little to attract me, and I know that if I did I'd be constantly running to the fridge for munchies. (tell me again why I'm paying for cable?)

Mike

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I don't weigh myself regularly enough to know exactly, but I can feel some pressure in my belt area that wasn't there before. I just stood on the scale and I'm at ~185lbs. According to BMI, that puts me solidly in the high end of the "overweight" category - one point away from the "obese" category.

All that means is that I am living proof that "BMI" is a complete crock of cow poo. It should stand for Bovine Manure Index.

What it doesn't take into account is body type and especially bone density and muscle mass. Sure, I have a bit of a gut - but the rest of my body is virtually fat free.

A couple of times a year I check if I can still do chin-ups. I just did 5 (proper, straight-arm) chin-ups in a row, which is nothing compared to what I used to be able to do 30 years ago, but even the average teenager these days is lucky if they can do one. My FitBit told me my heart rate hit 77 BPM just after doing those chin-ups and my resting rate is between 58 and 62.

Pretty good for a borderline "obese" guy, I guess.

So the next time a doctor, nurse, personal trainer, etc. tells you your BMI is too high - take it with a bag of salt. It is a mostly useless measure of "fitness".

BMI is extremely useful at the population level, but not as good at the individual level.

That said, you have to have a fairly specific physique (by dedicated training) to not fall *somewhat* under the very broad nature of the categories. This is not to bash anyone, but a reality/gut check to anyone who throws the baby out with the bathwater wrt BMI.

cogitech is bang on.
Oh, haha, thanks for your concern. No, I simply have a body type that tends to the (very) skinny side which I was avoiding largely through ample food intake and resistance training. Staying at home has put me into a routine where it's more difficult to consume calories (I'm not a big fan of junk food *snacks* but also don't love cooking) and working at odd hours with less motivation to work out.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
BMI is extremely useful at the population level, but not as good at the individual level.

I would agree with this.

That said, you have to have a fairly specific physique (by dedicated training) to not fall *somewhat* under the very broad nature of the categories. This is not to bash anyone, but a reality/gut check to anyone who throws the baby out with the bathwater wrt BMI.

I definitely disagree with this.

My BMI is 29. A BMI of 30 is officially obese.

I'm 50 years old and do not exercise. I have not had any sort of regular exercise since I was in my 20s. My job requires me to sit in a chair all day. Aside from that I am not very active, other than yard work, etc.

Do the photos attached depict an obese man?

As I said, I've got a gut. I could stand to lose about 10 pounds, at which point I would be merely "overweight" according to BMI, rather than borderline "obese".

If I ever dropped to my "ideal" BMI weight, I would look like I had a terminal illness.

Bovine Manure Index. I stand by my assessment.

Attachments

• 20-05-19 15-01-29 0879.jpg
    20-05-19 15-01-29 0879.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 20-05-19 15-00-54 0878.jpg
    20-05-19 15-00-54 0878.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 99
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm about like you, but unlike you I tend to perceive that I am still significantly beyond my healthy weight - I still weight almost 40lbs more than I did in my early 20s and it's too much. I do like to believe that BMI is BS that is until I look at friends and my wife who fit into the low end of the healthy BMI range and they don't look unhealthy, scrawny or emaciated. It's actually based on actuarial science and some long term studies that correlate weight and height related risk factors, but it is clearly a bit simplistic. Body builders and people with a lot of muscle on a compact frame are clearly miscategorized, the rest of us, perhaps not so much. I'm currently a 27.7 and aiming long term for under 26.

I've lost 11lbs so far on the past 10 weeks, but seem to have plateaued. I am not aiming for anything below 180lbs, when I was going through chemo for Hodgkins I lost almost 50lbs in about 8 weeks, ended up at 145 which was definitely unhealthy mostly due to how I got there. Subsequently overshot the healthy mark and ended up at 214lbs, now at 193.. I would be happy with another 10 or so, I'm working on it.

Weather permitting I try to walk between 2.5 and 3 miles on work days (yes I am working from home) and a bit more on weekends. Some day I will rejoin the local gym - most likely when I retire which is not many years away at this point. I'm not a jock, would rather play in the man cave with my toys, but I'd like to be healthy enough to enjoy them, and I feel better after exercise.

My knees are much happier! So for the most part is the rest of me. :D

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thanks for your perspective, Kevin.

I do realize that I am beyond my healthy weight, but I simply can't accept BMI's evaluation of borderline obese.

My biggest problem is that my lack of exercise has had no real negative effects thus far. This is a dangerous headspace and I know it.

For a while back about 12 years ago I was riding my bike to work for a few months (so my earlier statement about exercise wasn't 100% accurate). I felt fantastic - like a teenager again. I need to try to remind myself how great it can feel to exercise.

You've given me some food for thought. Thank you. Glad to hear you beat Hodgkin's. Wow!

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:D I am one of the world's best for finding an excuse not to exercise, but I do actually enjoy walking long distances, and it's a treat to have gotten to the point again where doing so just feels "normal." The gym is terribly boring, but tolerable with music and headphones..

I need to make sure when things start to normalize a bit and I start going back to the office a couple of days a week that I get out during lunch and get some exercise. I think my working situation will never be quite the same, my employer apparently has seen the light and will encourage employees to work from home when reasonable in the future. This has benefits for us and for society at large, it also gives me enough control over my immediate working environment to take my (health) needs into account - and it's not that they don't actually encourage healthy eating, exercise and relaxation, but the work is so demanding I often feel like I "don't have the time" - how I got to where I was. I gained at least 5lbs since I started working there a few years ago, and I wasn't at the somewhat healthier weight I am now by a long shot.

Maybe something positive will come out of the current situation for at least some of us if it allows us to better control the terms of our work.

I managed 36km (~22 miles) yesterday. Like you, I've only ridden about 4 times this year. The last ride was about a month ago, but my lungs were really burning. The flu I picked up in early March really settled in my lungs, kinda like some other virus that's going around.:eek:

jeff

I am overweight, but my cardiologist isn't worried about it.

At 69 years I still try to exercise when I can, but the cold and rain have put a real damper on doing so so far this year.

My biggest issue is lack of energy after I ride too far. For example, I rode 15 miles last Saturday morning. It was 80F when I got home. I rested a while and had some gatoraid, then tried to mow the lawn. After 20 minutes I put the mower up and plopped down on a lawn chair on the porch. I piddled around the yard a little more but didn't really accomplish much else that was physical.