While I get my supex fixed.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
....what sort of MM should I get for the meantime?
I only want to spend pennies...should I get one of them ortofon om5, i think they're called?
My supex 900 MKIV is getting an overhaul, I hope its the kind of cart you can take out of the box and mount on brass, but before even that, the cantilever is drunk and looking slightly left, and the tip must be worn.
Is this a common cartridge?
Who else has a supex 900 MKIV.
Are denon 103's a good choice for RB300?

Attachments

• b.supex 900 mkiv (medium).jpg
    b.supex 900 mkiv (medium).jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 424
adason said:
definitely grado
even the cheapest ones perform well
ed

Just do a search for "grado hum", and find out that you should avoid the rega table/grado combination, due to the unshielded motor.
(I'm assuming since your s/n is planarboy that you're using a planar series table)

The AT92 is a well known decent ultra budget cartridge, available worldwide for ~$30.

The RB300/Denon 103 combo is another one that I'd avoid, although with significant tweaking it can be made to sing. It would also require a step-up as it has significantly less output than the MM you suggested.

The Denon 160/110 pairs well with the RB arms, and both should have enough output for the MM input in a preamp.

edit: I've got nothing against the Grado (or denon) cartridges, and I've installed the black on several turntables with great results. They just don't mate well with regas.

shallbehealed said:

Just do a search for "grado hum", and find out that you should avoid the rega table/grado combination, due to the unshielded motor.
(I'm assuming since your s/n is planarboy that you're using a planar series table)

The AT92 is a well known decent ultra budget cartridge, available worldwide for ~$30.

The RB300/Denon 103 combo is another one that I'd avoid, although with significant tweaking it can be made to sing. It would also require a step-up as it has significantly less output than the MM you suggested.

The Denon 160/110 pairs well with the RB arms, and both should have enough output for the MM input in a preamp.

edit: I've got nothing against the Grado (or denon) cartridges, and I've installed the black on several turntables with great results. They just don't mate well with regas.
thanks for the tips everybody!
for now as i said i will get some sort of mm, but i was interested in the post i quoted.
*I am using a planar, i must keep within a budget!
*what sort of mods is it that would get the 103 going well on an rb300? are we talking all the usual suspects, or something else?
*I do have an ortofon mca76 headamp, so i can use all carts within certain reason...maybe its time to try one of them $300-ish stepup kits available
* the photo of my supex cart shows many years of accumulated love...should I stick with it after a retip? the mounting holes are pretty ratty...I'd love to get it naked and brass plate mounted.
should i just forget about the 103 and be happy with the supex?
Maybe I should, maybe I shouldnt...I don't know.
*would copper foil be worth my time in the engine bay?
Sorry I have so many questions...my rig is just gotten together these last few months...ebay is bringing in a whole new generation of audiophiles, there is no other way I could've gotten all this gear together any other way, not to mention the records.
I love the internet!
Now, I do have a ton of other questions, but I have 3 hours set aside to search the forum for that.

I've found Grado Prestige Blue to be alright with P3/RB300 and no hum issues. But I've ditched it because its sounding a little too cool and with a darker tone that bores me in time. Tracking quality is acceptable except for some records I have. A vintage Shure M55E (perhaps any decent Shure is just as capable for that matter) brought life & PRAT.

when i was young i used to think shure were the be all end all of cartridges...haha
maybe i should give them a bash.
but i only need a cheap mm for about 6 weeks, might just go with the OMB10, i remember having one of them on my goldring 1.2, now sold, and it sounded good for rock music, which is what i listen to.

planarboy said:

*what sort of mods is it that would get the 103 going well on an rb300? are we talking all the usual suspects, or something else?

It would be well worth your time perusing the vinyl asylum and then forgetting 95% of what people are saying.

planarboy said:
*I do have an ortofon mca76 headamp, so i can use all carts within certain reason...maybe its time to try one of them $300-ish stepup kits available

I'm not familiar with that headamp, but K&K has an excellent step-up kit. The denon 300LC step-up that I own only costs ~$130 new. It's packed away neatly in my "turntable stuff" drawer as I'm happy with my AT440MLa. I was lucky to get mine when they were still only $88.

You've got a lot of good questions there, most of which can be answered by doing. I've read that modifying the rega is a waste of time, that you should just steal the arm and go. Other people say that it's time well spent. You can only really know by doing.
How much would the copper foil set you back? I think theres also some cloth that contains grounding wires. It would be interesting to hear what you think afterwards.

The supex IS looking a little dirty, but it a well regarded cartridge. Having it retipped might be a cost effective way of having a great pick up. The mounting holes could be reinforced with some epoxy.

I'd suggest the ONZOW zero dust to clean your cartridges. Money well spent, and if you look around you can find some serious deals. (I paid ~$50 from a dealer for mine)

shallbehealed said:

It would be well worth your time perusing the vinyl asylum and then forgetting 95% of what people are saying.

I'm not familiar with that headamp, but K&K has an excellent step-up kit. The denon 300LC step-up that I own only costs ~$130 new. It's packed away neatly in my "turntable stuff" drawer as I'm happy with my AT440MLa. I was lucky to get mine when they were still only $88.

You've got a lot of good questions there, most of which can be answered by doing. I've read that modifying the rega is a waste of time, that you should just steal the arm and go. Other people say that it's time well spent. You can only really know by doing.
How much would the copper foil set you back? I think theres also some cloth that contains grounding wires. It would be interesting to hear what you think afterwards.

The supex IS looking a little dirty, but it a well regarded cartridge. Having it retipped might be a cost effective way of having a great pick up. The mounting holes could be reinforced with some epoxy.

I'd suggest the ONZOW zero dust to clean your cartridges. Money well spent, and if you look around you can find some serious deals. (I paid ~$50 from a dealer for mine)
thanks for the tips mate, and to everyone else.
Okay, I'll try a shure cartridge!
And that zero dust stuff, i havent searched it yet, will now.
I have kandk bookmarked! must've found it once and forgotten about it.
So I am thinking the supex, through a $300ish (in the end) stepup, will be my lot for this next five years, and I might just be happy with it forever....yeh sure!
My budget is only about maybe 300 dollars a month, and that's in slighly watery tasting Aussie dollars.
I have been quoted around $350 for a retip but I bet it costs more because I need a new cantilever, and if that happens, I might just think about a new $500 thereabouts MC.
I got the supex on ebay for a steal, try $35AU!!
The person who sold it to me thought it was unusable, more likely their anti-skate wasn't set properly or something. It sounds a lot better than it looks. I think I'm onto a good sound early in my hobby with that one.

planarboy said:
thanks for the tips mate, and to everyone else.

I have been quoted around $350 for a retip but I bet it costs more because I need a new cantilever, and if that happens, I might just think about a new $500 thereabouts MC.

A ruby cantilever with "improved" line contact stylus is only $250 at soundsmith*. The reviews of their work are excellent.

Nice grab on the $35 cart!

*no relation to seller

that's some valuable info!
I found soundsmith via "you-know-who" and am in the process of acquiring an order number and will use them to fix my supex.
Now i'm thinking about my old denon DL304, which the c/lever snapped off.
If I could fix them both for $500 +/- that would be fabulous.
I'd even consider knocking up a 2 arm plinth for my rega bearing...all in the name of hobbying.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Where are you getting your Supex redone? I have a Supex 901 i have been hanging on to forever in the hopes that someday i can afford to get it resurrected. (edit: i see that info has turned up on page 2)

shallbehealed said:
Just do a search for "grado hum", and find out that you should avoid the rega table/grado combination,

I sold hundreds & hundreds of rega/grado combos with no hum issues... (most of them with Grace 707s -- maybe the hum is arm related not motor related?)

dave

While I get my Supex...

Hi Planarboy

I still occasionally use my Supex carts, which are in good condition. The favourite being a black SD900 Super 11. Peeps often don't realise that Supex carts are the granddaddys of Koetsu carts. Same construction. Same designer (Y Sugano-san).

Anyway, my recommendation for interim relief for your vinyl habit would be an AT110E or AT130E.

Cheers

bulgin

Re: While I get my Supex...

GlidingDutchman said:
I would suggest the "new" Ortofon 2M series... or even an Ortofon Salsa MC...

GD
Ive always wondered about the salsa...or maybe the entry model rhondo, wose proper name escapes me.
See, my problem is, I'm in Western Australia, and as far as I know, the audiophile community exists only online really, same as repairs and retail.
If I wanted to buy a salsa, I would have to buy it without knowing what it sounds like.
I know what my supex sounds like, and by the looks of it, I may be able to get it repaired for a decent price.

bulgin said:
Hi Planarboy

I still occasionally use my Supex carts, which are in good condition. The favourite being a black SD900 Super 11. Peeps often don't realise that Supex carts are the granddaddys of Koetsu carts. Same construction. Same designer (Y Sugano-san).

Anyway, my recommendation for interim relief for your vinyl habit would be an AT110E or AT130E.

Cheers

bulgin
I knew supex came before koetsu, but i didnt know they were built similar...thanks for the info. Now I know no-one else will ever own my supex again..I'm keeping it!
Off I go to check out audio technica....

Planarboy

Let me put it this way. Over this past few days I have audiotioned the Ortofon Salsa alongside my Ortofon Rondo Blue and (and !) a Kiseki Purpleheart Sapphire. For its price it is an absolute bargain. Treble is nice and crisp, bass very coherent and mid's sweet to keep most critics happy. Tracking is excellent. Output very healty with silver-plated coils.

I have gained great respect for the Salsa. The Rondo Red is good but I wont recommend it as it is equipped with just a plain elliptical stylus.

Regarding the Supex repair. SoundSmith is voted best for repairs these days. Why not try Garrot Bothers - arent they in your valley?

GD

GlidingDutchman said:
Planarboy

Let me put it this way. Over this past few days I have audiotioned the Ortofon Salsa alongside my Ortofon Rondo Blue and (and !) a Kiseki Purpleheart Sapphire. For its price it is an absolute bargain. Treble is nice and crisp, bass very coherent and mid's sweet to keep most critics happy. Tracking is excellent. Output very healty with silver-plated coils.

I have gained great respect for the Salsa. The Rondo Red is good but I wont recommend it as it is equipped with just a plain elliptical stylus.

Regarding the Supex repair. SoundSmith is voted best for repairs these days. Why not try Garrot Bothers - arent they in your valley?

GD
I got quoted over 600 dollars for a garrot repair on my denon DL304 (more than the price of a new one, mind you), so I thought I'd try somewhere else, that's the only reason I am trying soundsmith...i was gonna do it this week but surprise surprise, bills beat me to it!
I could always buy a salsa and just keep the supex safe for the future.
Hmmmm....for around the price of a supex repair I could get a salsa cart.
I wonder how they go on a more or less stock RB300?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.