Which would sound better?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1/4 wl pipe will be open at one end, and has the potential to get some bass augmentation,

1/2 wl pipe is closed at both ends, and will essentially have the extention of a sealed box.

dave

yep, Dave knows his stuff.however maybe failing to mention one instance where both the OPs plan can be realised.....no ill wait :D

If it is open at one end it is a 1/4 w.l resonator. If its length is a 1/2 w/l of the Fs then it is tuned far too low.dave

(correct me if im wrong Dave), a 1/2 WL pipe can also be open at BOTH ends.......or rather what im saying is that make the line 1/2 WL long, and leave both ends open, et voila! the only trouble is, the math cant be circumvented; it will still be a 1/4 WL resonator, even if it is 1/2 WL of the tuning Freq.

:drink:

im pretty sure that right at least.....i seem to rememeber something about both odd and even harmonics being generated as a result, rather than just odds in a pipe open at only one end.

Last edited:
hahaha i dont relish the thought of pipe open at both ends either ;) If i had the room id build a 1/2 WL sealed TL, rather than a TQWT; similarly to closed box vs SBB4, im sure the 1/2 WL 'nautilus' type would exhibit much better group delay at LF.

I have drawn a sin(x). One "U" tube with a speaker at one end and nothing in the other. So 1/2 will have constructive output each peak of the wave. But with 1/4 will have maximum output when at the other end is zero and vice- versa. So 1/2 lambda should output 2*output level and 1/4 1*output level. But this is not true, why 1/4 lambda sum the output? Or is just is not destructive?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.