Which Woofer for 10P WAW?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the detailed information everyone. There are lots of good options there, I couldn’t make up my mind for a while whether to go with single or double Dayton RS225-8, single RS225-4, or single or double Peerless HDS 8” Nomex.

I’ve ended up ordering one pair of the Peerless 8” drivers, just have to work out whether to do a small sealed enclosure or to try a large vented... Maybe a small sealed for now.

I definitely like Dave’s idea of the short tapered transmission line enclosure, it should look good as well as performing well, Thanks Dave.

Cheers,

Matt

I've done a similar project including a mid transmission line. The top box is removable. My top box space is quite large to give me flexibility. If I were to build in either the tapered TL or use a plastic pipe (such as in the Halcyon design) it would save a lot of volume. Going sealed on the woofer would also save a lot of volume and would be the way to go with active subs on hand.
The woofer is a Monacor SPH 8M. Probably not as smooth on the top end as the Dayton but is a flexible driver that is suitable for BR or sealed. Sealed could go as low as 10 litres with a Q < 1.0. (About 20 litres for 0.707). I am currently using BR of 46 litres. I've incorporated a removable panel on the back with the port in it. I could covert to sealed with a Q of about 0.6, good for transient response.

Attachments

• Speaker.jpg
    Speaker.jpg
    741.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
The downside of a Mid TL is that you would not get any bass should you want to listen to pure full range. A conventional sealed would allow you to listen full range and blend in with subs. Something to think about. That's one reason why I went for a removable box, especially if I get a larger (5 to 6 inch) full ranger to play with I may want to listen full range occasionally.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.