Which wood for cabinet (?) and double check on driver selection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
G.Kleinschmidt said:

If Zaph can cross over to his dome midrange at 850Hz then I can crossover to mine at 800Hz.
I'm not budging on the midrange and tweeter selection and I'd like to crossover to the ribbon with the recommended 12dB crossover a little higher than 4k minimum. This is where the dome comes in handy.

Of course you can, you can do whatever you want. They are your speakers after all.
Anyhow, it sounds like you have it wrapped.

G.Kleinschmidt said:

Does that Panasonic capsule come with a calibration certificate and individual FR plot?

How should I answer this? No, it is a $2.00 capule after all.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Moondog55 said:
Glen you misunderstand me, I would be using it as the midrange in a 3-way

Nevertheless it’s still a good mid-bass (according to simulation) driver for its size.
Anyway, I’ve bitten the bullet and I’m going with the 8” GF-200. If that’s good enough for the Visaton engineers crossed over at 800Hz to the dome mid-range then it’s good enough for me.
With a flat SBB4 alignment that will give me a reasonably low f3 of around 45-50Hz with good transient response.

Cheers,
Glen

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
G.Kleinschmidt said:

Anyway, I’ve bitten the bullet and I’m going with the 8” GF-200.

Much, much better I think. They have attached a decay plot for that driver that looks good.
Post the progress and build details, please. We don't see many of these types of speakers here, especially built from scratch, and it will be an interesting lesson to the nay-sayers.

I agree w MJL21193 re the overemphasis on acoustic properties of ply vs MDF vs other wood based panels.
The consistency/qualities of ply varies greatly anymore. There are a wide variety of MDF and HDF panels using different sources of cellulose fibers.
Though it doesn't seem to be widely used; I have preferred constrained layers and wall resonance damping materials ( ie acoustic mud ) over a brute force approach with MDF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.