Which T-amp and which speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They are all the same, except one now has a disc type gain which had not been introduced when I purchased mine.
AliExpress and Ebay are both good.
An old friend and music lover is dropping in today, I'm going to amaze him!

Okay, I went ahead and purchased the TDA7297 amp module from eBay seller homemart.usa (who, ironically, is based in Hong Kong) for $5.98 including shipping. I chose this unit since it has all thru-hole mounted components, which would make any component upgrades easier over a module using SMD components. I made my purchase yesterday afternoon and the seller has already shipped the amp module this morning.

I would like to try this amp with my PowerOne MAP110-S148 SMPS. I can dial the voltage down to 12VDC if needed. I will post my listening impressions once I have time to do some critical listening between amps. I'll also include my tube amps in the comparison.

What did your audio friend think of the TDA7297 amp with your Tannoys?

I would like to try this amp with my PowerOne MAP110-S148 SMPS. I can dial
the voltage down to 12VDC if needed. I will post my listening impressions
once I have time to do some critical listening between amps. I'll also
include my tube amps in the comparison.

What did your audio friend think of the TDA7297 amp with your
Tannoys?

For the last week I have been using the following adjustable power supply
with a 23vac transformer ripped from an old tuner/amp with the ouput
adjusted to 15vdc.

the fan is not required and I have disconnected it. I will remove it
altogether if I decide the psu is permanent.
Power Supply Adjustable in 3 36V Out 1 2 30V 5A Converter w Cooling Fan LM338K | eBay
For some reason you need to copy and paste the above into Google
A useful little psu for many projects.
I should aso try the above with the D amps I have, it may help clean up the
FM.

My friend was not interested in music, but rather in telling me how he
almost died, and needed to get air lifted from one hospital to another. He
looked like crap.

Last edited:
For the last week I have been using the following adjustable power supply
with a 23vac transformer ripped from an old tuner/amp with the ouput
adjusted to 15vdc.

the fan is not required and I have disconnected it. I will remove it
altogether if I decide the psu is permanent.
Power Supply Adjustable in 3 36V Out 1 2 30V 5A Converter w Cooling Fan LM338K | eBay
For some reason you need to copy and paste the above into Google
A useful little psu for many projects.
I should aso try the above with the D amps I have, it may help clean up the
FM.

My friend was not interested in music, but rather in telling me how he
almost died, and needed to get air lifted from one hospital to another. He
looked like crap.

Hope your friend will recover fine. Life's events like this put our audio hobby into proper perspective.

The link to your power supply does not work.

Drinking the TDA7297 Kool-Aid

I received my TDA7297 from auction seller Homemart.USA earlier this week and hooked my amp to my system. I used a makeshift test bed to mount the 5-way binding posts for my speakers and RCA jacks for the signal input. I also used the same modified SMPS that I've been using with my SMSL SA-S1 TA2020 T-amp, but I did dial down the output voltage to 12VDC just to be safe.

After a few evenings with this amp, I have to say that I'm very impressed with this amp. After about 3-4 hours of play time, the amp has settled in and it does sound better than the SMSL SA-S1 T-amp. The bass is stronger, but not in an overpowering sense. It's actually more detailed and fleshed out. The soundstage is a bit larger in all three dimensions. The one thing I've really noticed is that the music is more immediate, has more clarity and it comes with a more focused image. Maybe a better way of stating this is that the music sounds less colored by the minimal amount of components in the signal path (I counted three--two input caps and the TDA7297 chip itself).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.